Author Topic: Couatl engine hasn't started - How to report a problem  (Read 75989 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl engine hasn't started - How to report a problem
« Reply #345 on: March 22, 2023, 12:16:01 am »
ATTACHED ZIP. Where is offline installer?

Which further confirms the problem is your Antivirus, since it's an .html file that contains this:

"Website Blocked by Trend Micro Titanium"

So, your antivirus not only has mistakenly blocked a legit website, but has done it without even telling you since, I would expect a proper antivirus would clearly signal is doing something like that!

I suggest switching to a proper antivirus, or contact their support to report a False positive.

As I've said in one of my previous posts, the Offline installer linked in the Sticky thread of this forum, the one named "Offline installer".

CaptainFry

« Reply #346 on: March 22, 2023, 12:40:45 am »
How did you determine it was blocked from the zipped exe file? Thus antivirus has been used for 5 years and we never had any issues so that would be a first time it blocked a site without notification. Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #347 on: March 22, 2023, 01:42:11 am »
How did you determine it was blocked from the zipped exe file?

Have you read my post ?

The file you sent is named .exe, but is in fact in .html file, which contains this: "Website Blocked by Trend Micro Titanium". Want further proof ? Just rename it to Couatl.html, double click on it. It will open your browser with a page saying Trend Micro Titanium has blocked our site, because it thinks it's "dangerous".

Thus antivirus has been used for 5 years and we never had any issues so that would be a first time it blocked a site without notification. Thanks

Then it's either that, or it did show the above page, you must haven't noticed it. Choose the explanation you prefer mode, but fact the antivirus blocked the file is certain.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 01:55:36 am by virtuali »

CaptainFry

« Reply #348 on: March 22, 2023, 01:52:54 am »
Thanks for your patience in helping me understand what is going on. I have used your updater many times and it always worked. This was the first time this happened. I will disable antivirus tomorrow and update again. In closing thanks for the great product.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2023, 09:35:21 am »
We contacted Trend Micro to fix the problem, and they now flagged the .exe as safe, see their reply here:

CaptainFry

« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2023, 11:59:35 am »
Thanks so much for your help. Just an update. I disabled my antivirus, and tried an update. It still blocked the URL embedded in the executable. I do not understand that one. I went to the main console of the antivirus program and saw the URL that was blocked in the executable file. I put it on the exception list, and with antivirus on it was able to complete the download of the Couatl64_MSFS.exe

I also sent TREND MICRO the zipped file.

Keep up the great work with GSX
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 12:05:34 pm by CaptainFry »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #351 on: March 22, 2023, 12:24:56 pm »
I disabled my antivirus, and tried an update. It still blocked the URL embedded in the executable.

This happens. Some antivirus still block things, even if you think you disabled them. Saw this first hand several times. Obvious an antivirus bug or a bad design choice since "Disabled", in my view, should really mean "Disabled"

I went to the main console of the antivirus program and saw the URL that was blocked in the executable file.

It might be possible Trend Micro confirmed the whitelisting to me, but that might not automatically mean it's already active now. Symantec ( another vendor famous to catch false positive ) always say a whitelisted program will be really whitelisted on the next antivirus update, not immediately.

I put it on the exception list, and with antivirus on it was able to complete the download of the Couatl64_MSFS.exe

That was exactly my initial suggestion, in my first reply to your report:

That seems to confirm the antivirus has corrupted it, because it mistakenly flagged it as a threat, so it ruined it trying to remove a non-existent virus. Configure the antivirus to exclude the whole Addon Manager to the antivirus Exclusions, then run the FSDT Live Update again.

Could be Trend Micro doesn't let you exclude an entire folder ?

Otonabee

« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2023, 02:34:19 pm »
HI, running into same problem after MSFS update 12, when I try to access GSX it comes up that "couatl scripting engine was not started"  Have attached zip file for you review.

cdawg9999

« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2023, 05:20:38 pm »
I updated to SU12 and then updated GSX through the FSDT Universal installer to the latest version. Couatl scripting engine was not started. In the installer there's a "check" option. I ran that and now everything works again. Give that a try

Lerno1

« Reply #354 on: March 23, 2023, 05:58:58 pm »
Hi,

As of the latest updates (2.4.0 and 2.4.2), couatl is constantly crashing on startup. I ran an integrity check within the FSDT installer and restarted my laptop, but to no avail. It crashes with the same error when first loading up the sim. Is there anything I can do other than to completely reinstall GSX?

Thanks

Endeavouring

« Reply #355 on: March 23, 2023, 10:37:25 pm »
HI, running into same problem after MSFS update 12, when I try to access GSX it comes up that "couatl scripting engine was not started"  Have attached zip file for you review.
I have the same problem... After clean install the GSX on the newly installed Windows...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #356 on: March 24, 2023, 10:01:53 am »
As of the latest updates (2.4.0 and 2.4.2), couatl is constantly crashing on startup.

Your log shows an error that can only happen if you have some files updated and some not. Which is usually caused by having your local cloudflare node still not fully updated with the latest file, which can happen for the first days after an update.

Which is why, we have the alternate Offline installer, that is used precisely during this time, to get the latest code without being affected by the node update delay time. Download it from the Sticky thread in the forum named "Offline Installer" and do it AFTER running a Live Update.

Lerno1

« Reply #357 on: March 24, 2023, 05:23:15 pm »
Your log shows an error that can only happen if you have some files updated and some not. Which is usually caused by having your local cloudflare node still not fully updated with the latest file, which can happen for the first days after an update.

Which is why, we have the alternate Offline installer, that is used precisely during this time, to get the latest code without being affected by the node update delay time. Download it from the Sticky thread in the forum named "Offline Installer" and do it AFTER running a Live Update.

Thanks Umberto, that did the trick. I'll be sure to run the offline installer the next time something similar happens. Cheers!

dotron73

« Reply #358 on: March 25, 2023, 11:10:41 am »
Couple of issues - since update 12 couatle doesn't seem to be starting with MSFS and has to be loaded separately. Second, and again since update 12 - GSX cant seem to find my simbrief even though it's all entered correctly and was previously working fine. 

Hazza

« Reply #359 on: March 26, 2023, 07:06:18 am »
Also having this issue. Would appreciate any advice. Have attached my log file (although I renamed the zip to make it easier to reference - I hope).
Cheers

Hazza