Author Topic: Sludge Hornet Modifications  (Read 199034 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Sludge Hornet Modifications
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2010, 07:42:02 pm »
Fellas...

My "new" hard drive crapped out (defective), so I took it back and am operating on my old recently-nuked hard drive.  Give me a few days and Ill get you some new smoke effects.  Right now, its looking very good, and compared to the old effect, is much less pronounced but still there.  I think I got the alpha transparency down pat.  Now, Im just fighting the color mixture to make it a darker brownish grey, just like the pictures.  Once I get that done, Ill get the effects out for everyone to test.

Then Ill work on the Hi-G/AoA effect to narrow it down more, so it doesnt look like its "poofing" out, but more following the airstream along the LEX and up over the wing root.  Anybody have any inputs about the current Hi-G/AoA effect?  Too much alpha transparency?  Close to the front end of the LEX?  Is it positioned right?  Would like some critical inputs from people that have used it, so we can improve it for everyone.

Later
Sludge

thetford569

Re: Sludge Hornet Modifications into the T-45
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2010, 08:25:13 pm »
First of all thanks Sludge for the great mods to the F-18.  I'm currently flying Dino's T-45C in my own "virtual Strike pipeline" training at the boat and doing other stuff to prepare me for the VRS Superbug.  I tried to move over the Carrier Trap Gauge and the Up Front Control to the T-45 because I'm specifically looking for a Low Altitude Warning that I can set as well as being able to set my own Bingo level.  I noticed in Dino's T-45 the bingo was always set at 2000 in the MFD and you couldn't change it.  Anyway I attempted moving over the cab files for the 2 gauges and added the lines to Panel.cfg.  I was able to start the Carrier Trap gauge however the font was extremely small and I couldn't see it but I didn't try any traps.  Is this normal?  The UFC also was visible and I was able to set a Radar Alt level but I never heard any warning when passing through that altitude.  I also could not set a BINGO level...it would not let me select it and change it much like the default Dino T-45...it stayed set at 2000lbs.  Any recommendations or a guide out there as to how to get these features into the T-45C?  Thanks!

Brandon

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #212 on: September 12, 2010, 07:14:34 am »
Thetford...

Thanks.  The mods are alot of fun to work with, even tho it can get frustrating changing values all the time.

OK, for the bad news.  I cant help you on Dino's T-45 cause I dont fly that bird at all.  Also, I didn't design the UpFrontController gauge, FSXNP did.  You may want to ask him for help, or he might just help you out after reading your post?  I have some knowledge on how his gauges interact/interface with the FSX Hornet but not how they work with the T-45, so either Serge (FSXNP) or some other user here might chime in and help you out.

Later
Sludge

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #213 on: September 12, 2010, 07:38:35 am »
tf569, Dino Cattaneo - maker of the Goshawk T-45C - may be able to help, but as his current web page notes he may not answer your question for a few weeks:

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/2010/09/f-35-update-to-version-115-almost-ready.html

"Since I will leave for few weeks for a businness trip, I've decided to pack the latest improvements I did on the F-35 and release an update before leaving."

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

thetford569

« Reply #214 on: September 13, 2010, 03:59:28 am »
Thetford...

Thanks.  The mods are alot of fun to work with, even tho it can get frustrating changing values all the time.

OK, for the bad news.  I cant help you on Dino's T-45 cause I dont fly that bird at all.  Also, I didn't design the UpFrontController gauge, FSXNP did.  You may want to ask him for help, or he might just help you out after reading your post?  I have some knowledge on how his gauges interact/interface with the FSX Hornet but not how they work with the T-45, so either Serge (FSXNP) or some other user here might chime in and help you out.

Later
Sludge

Spaz,

Yes I check Dino's blog pretty often and knew he was busy so I didn't bother asking him.  Luckily he is planning on a new Goshawk release eventually and maybe this will be something that will be in there since he is using the NATOPS manual to design the jet.  Sludge thanks for the info.  Maybe FSXNP will read this and have some input.  I am guessing that there is something in the Goshawk that won't allow the BINGO level to be changed and that's transferring over to the gauge.  As far as the LAW sound I was thinking maybe I needed to change the path for the sounds since they were pointed to the F-18 Sound folder and not the T-45.  The LAW may have been working I just wasn't hearing the sound for that reason.  I'll try that and see...

Brandon

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2010, 05:59:37 am »
Thetford,
Low Altitude warnings should work on Dino's Goshawk provided you've copied Panel/Sound folder to your Goshawk Panel folder. Also there should be dsd_xml_sound3.gau file plced either in Goshawk Panel folder or in FSX main Gauges folder.
Other UFC functionality largely based upon Hornet's model internal variables, not present in Dino's model. That's why you couldn't set Bingo level.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2010, 09:18:23 am »
Fellas...

Just got done with a major renovation of both effects.  I'm hoping to get some more EG Smoke pictures, but Ill post the Hi-G/AoA LEX vapor pics and I think alot of people will be happier with the new stuff.

I should be able to get em out for download to all here, sometime this week.

Later
Sludge

Razgriz

« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2010, 01:10:26 pm »
I hate to keep nitpicking but to me it looks too transparent.  I think our biggest problem is that the vapor is such a dynamic effect in real life and has so many variables, so you can't get it spot on, so I would just stop messing with it here, where it looks pretty good.

skimmer

« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2010, 06:41:52 pm »
Sludge,can these be seen from the inboard position.I mean can I see them while sitting in cockpit.?? Thanks :)

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2010, 09:30:53 pm »
Raz...

Well, I can make it look even better, so Ill keep trying.  I mean, Ive been trying to learn how to 3D model in 3ds and gmax (for obvious reasons) and thats a major undertaking.  In the meantime, I may as well just stay with this, as it gives me something to do 'til I get enrolled in the autodesk 3ds courses at the local college.  Plus, I know I can definately make it look better... more airy/transparent at the front end, and thicker/smokey near the back.

Skimmer...

I dont think so.  Ill recheck when I get home tonite and fly around and see if I can see the effect from inside, but I havent seen it in my test flights, so Im guessing no.  Although, it would be really cool if we could.

Later
Sludge

Razgriz

« Reply #220 on: September 15, 2010, 09:57:07 pm »
I MAY be able do some avionic work, I'm learning Visual Basic 2008 at school and I'm #1 in the class.  I don't find it hard really, its just knowing your stuff and problem solving skills combined with knowledge of the coding language.  I'm hoping Virtuali gives me an answer if C++/VB.NET can be used, or only C++.

Orion

« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2010, 01:23:34 am »
I'm pretty sure gauges are only either C++ or XML.

You can make a SimConnect addon in VB.NET, though.

Razgriz

« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2010, 04:48:43 am »
You can always convert VB.NET to C++, but that is bound to cause problems.

trent

« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2010, 08:36:50 am »
You can always convert VB.NET to C++, but that is bound to cause problems.

Hurrah, a subject I know more about than the local gurus for once.  C++ is nothing like Visual Basic, for what it's worth.  It's probably the hardest mainstream language to become reasonably competent in, and unequivocably the hardest language to become a guru in.  C++ meta-template programming can cause brain damage.

Or, for an aviation-themed metaphor... C++ is to programming as a carrier landing is to general aviation ;-)

Forgot my point.  Oh, yeah, I'm a software engineer by trade...  This thread has inspired me to put FSX on my dev laptop so I can get acquainted with the SDK whilst I'm on holiday next week.

And how about this for a random offer... I'll donate an hour of C++-FSX-SDK-fu for every critique I get on my recently uploaded FSX/Superbug carrier pattern (it's the best pattern I've flown against my current standards so I'm looking for more experienced folk to rip it to pieces so I can re-set my standards a little higher):

skimmer

« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2010, 08:45:41 am »
Thanks Sludge.