Author Topic: GSX stutter after update  (Read 8370 times)

yowman

GSX stutter after update
« on: April 01, 2018, 09:14:02 am »
Hi,

I was updated my gsx using the "live update.exe". After update, my gsx is stutter when moving (ex: baggage load, pushback). I tried to reinstall the gsx but it gives the same result. What should I do? Thanks

jwyman

Re: GSX stutter after update
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 07:23:40 pm »
yes, i too am having the same issues.  Pushback causing stutters... Stutters stop after GSX completes pushback and disconnect of tow truck....

SN737

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 09:48:35 pm »
Me 2, posted about this already but no answer yet.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 09:51:04 pm »
GSX is not stuttering. In fact, it's exactly the opposite: it's now more respectful of other addons you might be running.

Simconnect addons usually connects to the sim at each frame which means, the more frame rate you have, the more traffic is created on Simconnect. This gets worse if you have many add-ons because, if each one requires frame by frame updates, the impact of having an higher frame rate will be increasingly bad on Simconnect connections, up to a point that addons can start to cause an impact TO the sim and to the other add-ons too.

So, in order to be better citizens and more respectful of other addons, instead of trying to take every frame for ourselves, we added a frame rate cap. Since GSX animations are made at 30 fps, it would be totally useless requesting updates more frequently than that, so we capped the update frequency at 30 fps so, having an higher frame rate won't spam the sim with data request any higher that it should.

So, this was obviously made intentionally, to behave better.

But the downside of this, is that if you have ANOTHER addon that is spamming the sim with data requests, since GSX is self-limiting now, it's possible this other addon is now getting more updates, so GSX is suffering FROM that.

In an ideal world, the sim should offer a framerate-capped way to get data, so all addons would get an equal change to refresh. But unfortunately, the highest fixed frequency update is at 18 hz, which is not enough to represent 30 fps animations, and the next one higher is "unlimited", so it has the issue of causing too much data transfer, the higher your visual frame rate is.

We'll probably add an option to disable this feature, so you will be able to tell GSX to just don't care about spamming the sim and possibly distrupting the other addons, but it would likely get smoother itself.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:26:29 pm by virtuali »

SN737

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 10:13:58 pm »
Thank you, i'm eagerly waiting for an update!
Sergio Naiberg

jwyman

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 10:27:32 pm »
Well if it helps, I use Active Sky Next (ASN) and PRO ATC-X, both i believe use simconnect to talk to FSX....

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 10:32:49 pm »
Well if it helps, I use Active Sky Next (ASN) and PRO ATC-X, both i believe use simconnect to talk to FSX....

I was quite sure a weather engine was involved. See this post here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11451.msg89968.html#msg89968

The user initially reported that KIAH has objects floating over the ground, which was the result of our software not getting a chance to talk with the sim, because Simconnect was too busy to process all data coming from the other addons. But he said it was fixed as soon as he switched to a different weather engine.

We'll surely add the option to disable the feature.

It's just I'm not sure if it's best to be as bad behaving as everybody else is, and set it disabled by default, or trying not to spam the sim with stuff, by keeping it enabled by default as it is now, and get users the idea of GSX not being smooth...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:13:22 am by virtuali »

yowman

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 09:39:11 am »
understood....thanks

jwyman

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 05:03:59 pm »
Forgot to mention that my ASN is hosted on another computer separate from my main FSX machine. Still i see alot of traffic going to FSX. I wonder if its radar data from ASN to FSX? I don't need it...
If there was a way to kill all that traffic from coming over..

Jim

jwyman

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 03:40:46 pm »
I noticed something last night while performing a complete flight.  When i had the "stuttering' issues with the latest updates, I noticed my FPS counter fluctuating between 15-50 FPS. It is externally locked at 30 through NVIDA Inspector... I decided to disable GSX before my flight ( at the departure gate). My FPS stayed just about solid (29-30 FPS) during the whole flight.  Active Sky Next was also running.

My question: If ASN is taking up so much processing, why whould i not see wild FPS fluctuations with just ASN running?

The wild flucuations occur with GSX running.....

Jim

Rustydog

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 08:54:14 pm »
Well for me its a killer. I wont use GSX until updated. Totally unusable at present at uk2000 airports and AS16 weather. Worked fine before last update. Please be quick. Thanks.
Intel Core i5 4690 (OC 4500Mhz), GeForce GTX1060 6gb GDDR5, P3Dv4.4, PMDG 737u,

Pit

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 12:19:37 pm »

We'll surely add the option to disable the feature.

Yes I think it will be better, actually not so nice having the (still great) GSX vehicles stuttering around..... ! ;)

Regards Pit.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 12:23:26 pm »
My question: If ASN is taking up so much processing, why whould i not see wild FPS fluctuations with just ASN running?

The wild flucuations occur with GSX running.....

Have you tried with GSX enabled AND ASN disabled ? Both take some toll over Simconnect, that was the main reason why we limited GSX in the first place.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 12:24:35 pm »
Well for me its a killer. I wont use GSX until updated. Totally unusable at present at uk2000 airports and AS16 weather. Worked fine before last update. Please be quick. Thanks.

How's your frame rate ?

Rustydog

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 06:16:03 pm »

How's your frame rate ?

At Airports Around 20-25. At cruise around 30-35. Unlimited frame rates set, due to bad stutters if using limited. Always has been in P3d. With or without GSX.
Intel Core i5 4690 (OC 4500Mhz), GeForce GTX1060 6gb GDDR5, P3Dv4.4, PMDG 737u,