Author Topic: GSX and the green line ...  (Read 13006 times)

JerdooFlightX

GSX and the green line ...
« on: November 09, 2012, 08:04:25 pm »
Hi,

As I create video's I'm not a real fan of all the announcements in the green line when using GSX.
I was wondering where I can look to turn this off ...
Jeroen

http://www.youtube.com/user/JerdooFlightX

Core i7 2700K @ 4.3Ghz | Antec P280 | Asus Sabertooth P67 | Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB | Corsair Cooling H100 | 16GB @ 1600MHZ | Ilyama 27" Full HD monitor.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX and the green line ...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 12:59:59 am »
As I create video's I'm not a real fan of all the announcements in the green line when using GSX.

Since you surely must edit the video (I doubt you use it as it is) isn't simpler to cut the frame size while editing, enough to not see the green line in the exported video ?

boilerbill

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:11:12 pm »
I've produced videos, using FSX as well as other sims, and disabling or editing out normal messages may not be the best idea. This is especially true if you're putting together a video tutorial. People who watch it will wonder why they don't get the same green-line messages that you do. When those people think their sim is broken or their procedure is faulty, you may find you are flooded with e-mails containing questions from them about why they're seeing something different from what you saw! The sim users know all about the messages, or will learn about them soon, so there isn't any reason to hide them. On the other hand, if you just want to produce a 'beauty' video, then I could see an advantage to editing them out.
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

JerdooFlightX

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 03:55:17 pm »

Since you surely must edit the video (I doubt you use it as it is) isn't simpler to cut the frame size while editing, enough to not see the green line in the exported video ?

That would be possible but the problem is that the screen flashes when the line appears which is rather annoying to say the least. The messages appearing are of no use to me so I wondered if it would be possible to remove something somewhere in a file in order to get it not appearing on my screen :)
Jeroen

Core i7 2700K @ 4.3Ghz | Antec P280 | Asus Sabertooth P67 | Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB | Corsair Cooling H100 | 16GB @ 1600MHZ | Ilyama 27" Full HD monitor.

JerdooFlightX

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 03:56:44 pm »
I've produced videos, using FSX as well as other sims, and disabling or editing out normal messages may not be the best idea. This is especially true if you're putting together a video tutorial. People who watch it will wonder why they don't get the same green-line messages that you do. When those people think their sim is broken or their procedure is faulty, you may find you are flooded with e-mails containing questions from them about why they're seeing something different from what you saw! The sim users know all about the messages, or will learn about them soon, so there isn't any reason to hide them. On the other hand, if you just want to produce a 'beauty' video, then I could see an advantage to editing them out.
It's all about the last part ;)
Jeroen

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 07:14:19 pm »
It's all about the last part ;)

Which was already answered in my reply: since you *are* editing anyway, it takes no effort cutting out the topmost pixels and leave the green messages out.

boilerbill

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 08:01:46 pm »
To be honest, I'd be more concerned about why the screen flashes while the message is shown. That obviously shouldn't be happening. Does pressing Alt-Enter to switch between window modes have any effect? If you have another add-on that uses the green line (e.g. REX), does the screen flashing occur with them as well?
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 01:34:31 am »
That would be possible but the problem is that the screen flashes when the line appears which is rather annoying to say the least

It's surely doesn't flash normally. Or, it's possible there's some kind of interaction between the screen capture program and the message bar.

If you have two monitors, with FSX in Windowed mode, right click on the green text line when it's visible, Undock it to the other monitor, and it will stay there.

JerdooFlightX

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 08:09:03 pm »
That would be possible but the problem is that the screen flashes when the line appears which is rather annoying to say the least

It's surely doesn't flash normally. Or, it's possible there's some kind of interaction between the screen capture program and the message bar.

If you have two monitors, with FSX in Windowed mode, right click on the green text line when it's visible, Undock it to the other monitor, and it will stay there.
Well it flashes when the line appears ... but to make a long story short ... it isn't possible to remove it? That was my initial question because that would make my life much more fun and using the software in video's less work ...
Jeroen

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 10:30:32 pm »
Well it flashes when the line appears ...

No, it doesn't. I never seen it and nobody ever reported it.

Do you see any flashing here ?

Are you SURE it's the green line which is flashing and not the objects that are being called doing a brief pause loading their textures, which might lead to screen artifacts ? In this case, removing the line won't change anything.

Or, you think it's flashing *because* of the green line, when in fact it's just doing a short pause to load objects that are called when the line appears so it would be exactly the same even if the line wasn't there, because it wasn't the line that caused it.

it isn't possible to remove it? That was my initial question because that would make my life much more fun and using the software in video's less work ...

I've already indicated two different solutions:

1) Cut the video to remove those top pixels. No more than 5 seconds if you know how to use a proper video editing program.

OR

2) If you have two monitors, undock the message window to the 2nd one.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:32:25 pm by virtuali »

TuiflyX3

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 03:00:25 pm »
is it possible to just not show this line in FSX?? its not about video editing or something..just to not show the message action! its anyway a bit unnecessary..and everytime the green line appears, not only gsx messages my FSX flashes ,too..because of the ENB i´m running

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 04:18:10 pm »
It's not possible to turn the green line off right now. We'll have to update GSX. It has been discussed already, many times., we'll eventually add it, but it's not considered a "bug" to be "fixed", just an additional feature which will eventually come.

JerdooFlightX

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 01:16:39 pm »
It might be because of the fact GSX loads the asked assignment, but the line appears and my screen blinks/flashes because of that which is something I wouldn't be missing if it wouldn't do that.
Your options were well noted and seen by me but those options are not the solution for me and therefore I asked what I asked ... the question was if I could disable it and the answer wasn't yes or no it was a different option which you gave. If I would have wanted one of those options I would have replied to that in the first place :) I do not run 2 screens and editing it out wasn't an option for me as I just want the line not to be there. As we all can edit files my initial thought was that I could edit a file in order to remove that line.
I'm looking forward to the future update in which this option will be abvailable, it for sure isn't a bug but it would be very nice if the user has the option to turn of messages on his screen as this is possible in FSX itselff as well.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:04:28 pm by virtuali »
Jeroen

krwynn

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 09:03:54 pm »
I can vouch for the flashes while the green line is up and it also knocks down fps every time it does. I actually came here trying to see how to uninstall GSX to get rid of it all together. That green line in your video isnt the green line thats the issue in my case. Its the one that says its to wait while caching at the very beginning when you first go to an airport.

*Edit. Oh boy. After searching to see how to uninstall GSX it looks like I'm married to it whether I want to be or not. That freaking green line though is extremely annoying. And it happens almost every time I start a session.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:28:10 pm by krwynn »
Freeware Developer - FSX Pompeii Italy and Mount Vesuvius

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 09:47:22 pm »
I can vouch for the flashes while the green line is up and it also knocks down fps every time it does.

I can only repeat and confirm the green line, but itself, is NOT causing fps nor flashes. It seems the problem is caused by the ENB series which, as tested with KLAX, is able to bring down fps A LOT, which is understandable, because KLAX use shaders a lot, and the ENB series does to and, GPU power is not an unlimited resource.

That green line in your video isnt the green line thats the issue in my case. Its the one that says its to wait while caching at the very beginning when you first go to an airport.

What you are describing is NOT the normal "green line" but, instead, is the RED text that is indicating GSX is updating its cache. It should appear ONLY if you added a new scenery, it shouldn't appear at every FSX startup.

If it does on your system, it means you have either a permission problem in your folder (running FSX As Administrator should fix this IF this is the problem) OR another FSX addon is keep changing .BGLs at every startup, forcing GSX to update its cache at every FSX start.

Nothing of this is caused by the normal "green line" texts, which are white over green.