Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148894 times)

PhantomTweak

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #915 on: August 24, 2015, 08:37:58 pm »
Wow! Taking "great" and making it even better! Astounding, to my little pea brain! All those you mention sound like great strides and improvements. Keep 'em coming :D
AOA Indexer Bypass:
-Did my best with the indexer in bypass mode, but as stated before I am having to fight the default gauge that is trying to control those same arrows.  Lights should be a little more steady on and "flicker" versus constantly flashing while in bypass mode
Not a big problem, in my mind, but the fight is much appreciated, none-the-less.
-Since the bulk of the overall file size resides in texture files, I will be removing a few less popular textures in an attempt to get the project file size down.
Works for me. I do it myself, anyway :)
Hopefully I will be releasing the updated version here in the next few days.  Probably going to start utilizing an auto-installer from now on due to the constant number of cfg and texture changes across all variants and the growing file size of the project
I understand the reasoning, but I never permit autoinstallers to do their thing on my system. I always direct them to a Temp folder, then move things myself. Not complaining, just the way I am about them :)

All in all, this update is going to be well worth any wait. Take all the time you need. I'm too old and fat to hurry :D
Pat☺

ExNusquam

« Reply #916 on: August 25, 2015, 12:04:43 am »
Those changes sound great, jimi. TO Trim is especially appreciated.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #917 on: August 25, 2015, 08:57:44 am »
Ok, I DL'd the "CLEAN" version of Jimi's Hornet v15.6. I tried it out, no sound. I found the Sound.cfg file had an error. The line reads alias=..\..\FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Training\sound but it should only read alias=\FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Training\sound to work properly. Too many"..\" entries, is all.
Just a heads-up if anyone else has this problem. ;)
Pat☺

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #918 on: August 25, 2015, 11:09:37 am »
Ok, I DL'd the "CLEAN" version of Jimi's Hornet v15.6. I tried it out, no sound. I found the Sound.cfg file had an error. The line reads alias=..\..\FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Training\sound but it should only read alias=\FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Training\sound to work properly. Too many"..\" entries, is all.
Just a heads-up if anyone else has this problem. ;)
Pat☺

Sweet!  Thanks Pat and ExNusquam!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #919 on: August 27, 2015, 08:06:59 pm »
Just curious, if I may ask, but why is the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg offset to the left? I know it's not much (-0.02), but it offsets the HUD slightly, or appears to. The HUD is correct, actually, but everything else is shifted a little, which makes it seem offset. I don't know if it's the correct way to do it or not, but I use the velocity vector to help aim at a spot for touchdown, in FCLP, carrier, or normal landing, and it's very useful in keeping the sink rate etc etc correct, and having to compensate for the offset can get a little confusing, to me, during the last few busy seconds before Touch-Down. I know I can change the setting to 0.00, I was just wondering if there was a reason for it.

By the way, I noticein the BA version there is a "New HUD" folder in the Panel folder, but it's not called in the panel.cfg. Is it important? In what way is it new? Again, just curious. There's usu ally a reason for things :)

I was also wondering, again, if I may ask, what software do you utilize for de-compiling, editing, and re-compiling .DLL files? Also in the BA Panel folder is a folder (old fcs Gauges) with a number of older, modified, or changed .DLL files, like HornetFCS.dll, and I was wondering just what had been changed, and in which way, to make it work better. Again, Nosey Nellie is my pseudonym :D

Good days and fun times for all!
Pat☺
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:17:24 pm by PhantomTweak »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #920 on: August 28, 2015, 12:25:57 pm »
Hey Pat,

Good questions.
Just curious, if I may ask, but why is the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg offset to the left?
-The view was adjusted last version in an easy attempt to correct the amount of space that the HUD text takes up on the combiner glass.

I notice in the BA version there is a "New HUD" folder in the Panel folder, but it's not called in the panel.cfg. Is it important? In what way is it new? Again, just curious. There's usu ally a reason for things Smiley
-That was a little while ago, but I'm pretty sure the New HUD had to do with small changes that I made to the HUD in order to help us over at the FSXBA.  One in particular was a persistent energy carat that would stay present, regardless of gear position.

I was also wondering, again, if I may ask, what software do you utilize for de-compiling, editing, and re-compiling .DLL files?
Gonna have to let ORION answer that one.

Also in the BA Panel folder is a folder (old fcs Gauges) with a number of older, modified, or changed .DLL files, like HornetFCS.dll, and I was wondering just what had been changed, and in which way, to make it work better.
I believe we are up the 67th rendition of the FCS.dll now.  They simply represent the progress of the FCS as designed.  Basic progress is as follows:
-Auto Flaps Controller
-PI controller that did basic pitch rate control in UA AOA, Pitch Rate and G Command with hard breaks at each envelope
-Changed PI to G command only for UA and AOA only for PA
-Manual trim for UA and PA mode developed
-Auto trim PI controller developed
-PI controller programmed to do Pitch rate and G Command Blending in UA and Pitch rate and AOA blending in PA
-Developed yaw PI controller
-AOA/Pitch Rate blending at AOA above 22 deg AOA
-Shutdown/disconnect effects based on hyd pressure or ASM switch
-Auto Throttle Control PI controller developed
-Flap speed adjusted

I think I got most of it.  Hope this helps.
-
-
-Developed roll PI controller

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #921 on: August 28, 2015, 07:56:55 pm »
Thank you for the reply, Jimi! I do appreciate you taking the time :)

-The view was adjusted last version in an easy attempt to correct the amount of space that the HUD text takes up on the combiner glass
Well, ok, but I put it back to 0.00 and adjusted the HUD size slightly in the [VCockpit01] section of the panel.cfg. I fits perfectly, and is centered. No big, I can just make  these changes as I get new versions :) It's one thing I think I'm at least decent at, and do enjoy.

-That was a little while ago, but I'm pretty sure the New HUD had to do with small changes that I made to the HUD in order to help us over at the FSXBA.  One in particular was a persistent energy carat that would stay present, regardless of gear position.
Speaking of which, I've notice a small 00 on the left side of the HUD, below all the other data presented on that side, and i was wondering what it's for? It is never anything I've been able to see other than 00.

I believe we are up the 67th rendition of the FCS.dll now.  They simply represent the progress of the FCS as designed.  Basic progress is as follows:
Thanks for the info! I really didn't expect you to spend the time answering that one, that was why i was wondering what you all used to edit .DLL files, so you all wouldn't have to spend all the time typing all that out :D I do thank you, I was just trying to save you all the time and effort, to devote to your much more important work. And to me at least, this plane is important  ;D

Again, I thank you for all the great info you are willing to give, and eagerly await the latest improvements!
Pat☺

whiteside

« Reply #922 on: August 28, 2015, 08:33:45 pm »
I have more fun with your hard work...
OK, using P3DV2.5 and FSX. Oculus Rift and AICarriers, FlyInside FSX, Buttkicker and last but not least vLSO. I cannot tell you guys what this is like and we are really getting close to a very immersive experience.
I am flying your latest and greatest and I know you have removed most of the effects and I was wondering if you'd add them back in on the next rendition? When I pull G, I really like the feedback I get from the Buttkicker on your 15.2 version I think it was. Also the visual of the Vape on the LEX's looks great from the seat!
can the airflow separation that causes the Buttkicker to vibrate be adjusted? The engine sound from inside the cockpit is realistic as per Real Life Hornet guys?
Cant wait for this jet to be fully developed. There is not another plane I enjoy more.
Thanks again,
Will
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:13:30 pm by whiteside »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #923 on: August 29, 2015, 06:18:52 pm »
Thanks Whiteside.  I'll see what I can do.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

PhantomTweak

« Reply #924 on: August 30, 2015, 11:20:18 pm »
OK, something fishy is going on here, in my copy of the Training v15.6.
I know I complained about the AOA indicator flashing as though the Hook Bypass switch were always in Carrier. NOW, it's functioning perfectly normally. I don't recall making any changes or downloading anything. Now, it may change back to "failed" again after I reboot, I am not sure. I will keep you informed.

Another "thing" I have noticed: I went to try a knife-edge pass, and the rudder doesn't have enough authority to maintain altitude when rolled 90° either direction. The nose goes very low no matter what I do to the rudder. If I pull back to keep the nose up, obviously, I turn, very quickly. Am I doing it wrong? If not, is there anything I can do to be able to hold my attitude/altitude when rolled that far? On the NH model, the rudder has the authority to maintain the nose on the horizon. Is it a change to the PID settings I need to make, maybe? Or the .air file? As usual, I am just curious. To the best of my knowledge, it should maintain attitude with enough rudder input...

And my little pea brain finally functioned. I figured out the little 00 on the HUD. It's the Stopwatch function. Duh...
Sorry for wasting your time on that!

That's all for today :) Any help would be great, but I know you have other concerns, so no rush. 
Pat☺

Orion

« Reply #926 on: August 31, 2015, 04:20:44 am »
NOTAM: You must install the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49984) in order for the newest version of the FSXBA Hornet FCS to function.

FCS changes:
  • Implement Automatic Throttle Control (ATC) (see NATOPS 2.1.2)
  • Reduced roll rate response curve (uses f(x)=0.4 x + 0.0002 x^3 as opposed to f(x)=0.8 x + 0.00016 x^3)
  • Roll rate limiter in powered approach mode (limited to 180 degrees per second maximum instead of 240 degrees per second)
  • Workaround for Acceleration SEQ bug (http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,103.msg2074.html#msg2074)
  • Assorted fixes and improvements

Some notes on Automatic Throttle Control (ATC):
  • In addition to AUTO_THROTTLE_ARM (Shift+R by default) you can use the ATC button on the hard to click side of the throttle
  • Approach mode and cruise mode are completely independent of powered approach and up and away modes used for the flight controls (conditions below)
  • Approach mode ATC is only engaged with the flap switch in HALF or FULL and the trailing edge flaps extended at least 27°
  • Cruise mode ATC is only engaged with the flap switch in AUTO
  • Approach mode ATC will attempt to hold on speed (8.1 degrees) AoA
  • Cruise mode ATC will hold knots true airspeed
  • Normal disengagement conditions (either mode)
    • Pressing the ATC button or AUTO_THROTTLE_ARM (Shift+R by default)
    • Either throttle position differs from position at which ATC was engaged by more than 10% on the throttle axis
  • Automatic disengagement conditions (approach mode):
    • Flap AUTO up
    • Trailing edge flap deflection less than 27°
    • Weight on wheels
    • FCS reversion to MECH or to DEL in any axis (i.e. spin recovery switch)
    • Left and right throttle positions differ by more than 10% of throttle axis
    • Bank angle exceeds 70°
  • Automatic disengagement conditions (cruise mode):
    • Flaps HALF or FULL
    • FCS reversion to MECH or to DEL in any axis (i.e. spin recovery switch)
    • Left and right throttle positions differ by more than 10% of throttle axis
    • Weight on wheels
  • When either mode is engaged, changing the flap switch between AUTO and HALF or FULL automatically disengages the system.
  • If the system is disengaged for any reason, it remains disengaged until reengagement is initiated by the pilot.

Also an important passage from NATOPS:

Quote from: 8.1.11 ATC Approach Mode Technique
The technique required for an ATC approach mode differs from a manual approach in that all glideslope corrections are made by changing aircraft attitude. Since this technique violates the basic rule that altitude/glideslope is primarily controlled by the throttle, practice is required to use ATC.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:42:06 am by Orion »

PhantomTweak

« Reply #927 on: August 31, 2015, 09:13:35 am »
Woo-Hoo!!

Downloads in progress!

uses f(x)=0.4 x + 0.0002 x^3 as opposed to f(x)=0.8 x + 0.00016 x^3

Do you have any idea, Mr. Orion, sir, how long it's been since I did calculus?? This should be an adventure...
I presume it reads f(x) equals 0.4 times X plus 0.0002 times X cubed, etc? Where X is the roll command input? This equation is what generates the roll command curve the aircraft's control surfaces actually use? I am not used to computerized notation, basically, just making sure I am 100% with the program...And it's been more years than I care to count since I learned Calc. We didn't HAVE computers then!

Thanks again for all the amazing work, guys! Y'all amaze me!
Pat☺

whiteside

« Reply #928 on: August 31, 2015, 04:23:41 pm »
Did Google drive stop working?

Dman

« Reply #929 on: August 31, 2015, 05:17:44 pm »
I've been in love with this plane for a long while now.. with the last two versions.. I seem to have lost the LEX vapor during high G maneuvers and the Afterburner effects.. 15.2 has them..(I love the bluish burner effects).. is there an entry that can be put back into the config to bring these back??

THANK YOU to everyone involved with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!