Author Topic: FA/18 CTD with SEQ button  (Read 28572 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FA/18 CTD with SEQ button
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 01:54:38 pm »
I don't have a solution, other that having it confirmed (as you can see from other user's messages) that with Windows swap file set to automatic, they solved the issue.

I'm still unable to reproduce it, BTW.

ZeroByte

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 04:41:05 pm »
Greetings,

Love the F18 you did however I am also getting consistent CTD's when using the SEQ button and the ACL button on the MFD's.

I checked my swap drive settings, have the latest video drivers, downloaded and installed the VB Runtime library.

I am running on Vista Ultimate 32bit.

Would love to get these functions working.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 05:09:32 pm »
Sorry, I can't offer you any help, rather than saying that other users solved the issue by using automatic swap file settings. I can't reproduce this issue and never had any crash, with Vista 32 bit.

The updated runtimes are for Visual C++ SP1, NOT VB!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en

It might be useful to try updating Visual C++ Non-SP1 version as well:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en

Note the last message of this forum:
http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130066&st=0&p=1613062&#entry1613062

another user that apparentely solved the issue by updating C++ runtimes. It's important to note (as the poster suggested) that, since both downloads have the same name, you download and apply updates one at a time.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 05:21:12 pm by virtuali »

ZeroByte

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 10:22:05 pm »
My apologies but it was the Visual C++ runtime that I updated based on a earlier post. I made a mistake in saying it was VB.

I have since updated both versions as stated in your post above. Still no luck.

Here is the event msg from the crash.

Faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61637.0, time stamp 0x46fadb14, faulting module MSVCR80.dll, version 8.0.50727.1433, time stamp 0x471eb5ae, exception code 0xc000000d, fault offset 0x00008aa0, process id 0x1428, application start time 0x01c84d8452c7fd0b.

Also note that on same PC booted into XP Pro w/ SP2 I do not get the CTD.

I guess I'm stuck playing the game in XP, until a fix develops.

Thanks for your time.

chupaflier

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 09:10:59 am »
I also am experiencing that problem described here with the SEQ button. I run XP SP2.
If the way points are created in the plight planer as described in the guide, it works ok but if its done from within the cockpit once F/A-18 is on the air, it always crashes.

[attachment deleted by admin]

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 05:38:12 pm »
SEQ button is killing me... nothing seems to fix this problem, it will always crash, no matter what, when i click the button and i have a flight plan

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »
its getting worse
when i have a flight plan, i click the WPL button and then i get a CTD if i click any other button on mdf after the wpl....

windows xp 32bit sp2

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 02:36:34 pm »
Sorry, but I can only confirm I can't reproduce the problem, and several users confirmed they fixed the issue by returning to Windows default swap file settings. I'm using Vista, though.

The crash happens in one of the VC++ runtimes (MSVCR80.DLL), I keep seeing users with different versions, perhaps it's related to a specific version, or a bug introduced (or fixed) starting from a release onward.

I don't think it's specifically related to OS used. One user says he doesn't have the issue in XP, you have XP and have the issue, I have Vista and don't have it. It's probably more relaated to the specific local config of Windows sytem files and settings.

Another solution worth investigating might be removing the default GPS from the F/A-18 panel.cfg. Since the F/A-18 calls into the FSX GPS functions, it might be they can't work together at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 02:38:59 pm by virtuali »

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 03:29:07 pm »
nothing seems to work, i downloaded the latest version of msvcr80 and changed all my old ones, also removed the gps from panel.cfg, still having problems
i dont know why, but now i cant click the ACL button anymore or i'll get another CTD, and how do i remove a flight plan? when i click clear, the OK button becomes unclickable... im stuck with that flight plan that keeps me from clicking seq and acl now

EDIT: ok, this is really weird, i changed my flight plan, from the tutorial fp to a VFR / Direct -GPS with the auto generated route, and now both ACL and SEQ buttons are working.... lol
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 03:33:21 pm by fael097 »

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 09:49:30 pm »
after testing this for a while, none of the above posted fixes seem to work. im still having this problem, but i can get the seq button working tho. thats what i do:
on fsx free flight screen, i open flight planner, create my own flight plan and save it, then i click fly now.
if i start the flight with the current flight plan, seq button won't work, and i'll get a ctd. but it works if i reload the flight plan when im already on free flight.
someone else having this problem test it and tell me if it works please.
thanks

chupaflier

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 09:52:38 pm »
It always works for me when I create a flight plan before I my flight. No need to reloaded once in the cockpit. The only times when it does not work is when I do NOT create a flight plan at all. Have yet to try to create plan after sitting in the cockpit. I'll try it and post results.

Great Ozzie

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 12:08:59 pm »
Virtuali,

If an Aircraft/Flight Plan is saved then:

If Free Flight > Load... > "Select Flight" > FLY NOW! then:

GPS screen will be blank (no waypoints).  However when selecting WPT in the DDI the Waypoint Bearing Pointer appears along with waypoint info in upper right of DDI and in HUD (waypoint info from the flight plan that was saved with the flight).

if SEQ is selected CTD WILL OCCUR.

If Freeflight > Flight Planner (then Flight Plan is loaded or created from this screen) > Free Flight (select aircraft etc...) > FLY NOW!

CTD WILL NOT OCCUR after SEQ select.

So the difference is how the "Flight" itself is loaded (from Free Flight > Load... = crash)

Also the tip to preventing CTD is...

Before selecting WPT (certainly before selecting SEQ) select GPS in the DDI and verify that there are Waypoints listed.  If yes you're good to go.

If not > display toolbar > Flights > Flight Planner... > Select Flight Plan (why you have to "resave" the flight plan after clicking OK is beyond me) and then this "should" cause the actual Waypoints to be displayed in the DDI.

At least this is what I "stumbled" upon and I hope it "resolves" the issue.

Rob O.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 02:13:09 pm »
Rob,

thank you for giving a precise repro case. Now I've finally realized what's going on:

The HSI relies on a Simconnect notification event that is fired up when a flight plan is loaded, to update its waypoints list from the internal gps (The F/A-18 uses the FSX default GPS engine).

Unfortunately, it looks like Simconnect notifies the program that a flight plan has been loaded only when the *user* manually load it, not when the flight plan is automatically loaded together with a flight, that is the case if the flight was saved with a flight plan active.

So, without that notification, the F/A-18 gauges lose its synchronization between the gps flight plan and its internal data list, and that creates a crash.

The workaround for this is:

- As a general rule, do not save a flight when a flight plan is active. Load the flight, then load the flight plane afterwards when the airplane is ready to fly.

- If you already have flights saved with a flight plan active, before pushing the SEQ button, load the same flight plan again from the flight planner menu. This will trigger the flight plan loaded notification correctly, and the SEQ button will now work.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 02:15:22 pm by virtuali »