Author Topic: vLSO Alpha Release  (Read 55172 times)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: vLSO Alpha Release
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2011, 04:52:14 am »
MikeB54 said: "...I have one bad habit I need to break. I'm transitioning away from the ball and to the landing area way to early.  Actually, I don't think I'm supposed to be transitioning to the landing area at all but old habits are hard to break.  What this causes me to do dump it at the ramp...." Mike keep in mind I'm not criticising because you know what you are doing and how to correct it. My comment is that this is a classic example of 'deck spotting'. Ask your son about this and what the LSOs might do to anyone thought to be so doing.  ;D  [LSOs say that the arrest / touchdown should be a surprise.]

A very long time ago - in fact 40 years - I sort of 'deck spotted' 'at the start' in an A4G only to get a wide view of HMAS Melbourne gyrating in the quarter swell. Bloody Hell! I went straight back to 'meatball, lineup and airspeed (opt. AoA)' and NEVER looked back (meaning I did not do that again). Also probably about the same time I once looked ahead just before arrest to think (I'm going to miss the lot) but no - probably caught a one wire as you describe. NEVER again also on that score.... [This is where the eye height to hook tip (main wheels to hook tip) distance can be very confusing - remember it is the hook that catches the wire and not the main wheels as might have become the custom ashore.]

It is really important to have the recommended straightaway time of 15-18 seconds because it will concentrate the mind and reduce chances of errors (remember one can also practice FLCP beforehand - going to the FSX carrier without any FCLP is not a good idea if a newbie).

For example early on the A4G used a lower circuit height (probably a throwback to earlier Sea Venom times). We did a level base turn until finding the ball in the mirror at about just after halfway around (remember this is a mirror which probably allowed this phenomena) so we flew the ball a lot longer than just on the straightaway or just before. Short and sweet. Later the circuit height was adjusted to NATOPS I'm told.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:56:31 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2011, 05:50:17 am »
Mike...

Fair enough, I know plenty of FSX flyers that do just the same. Just ask Raz how much he fought "dumping it at the ramp", as he would fly a great profile but would just dump the throttle AR and boom, one wire. However, I dont think his was deck spotting, it was more a FALSE "burble anticipation" as he would fly a really good pass up to that point and would almost CHOP the throttles.

Personally, I'm more of a "ball crester" and moreso now that you came back with that bit of "gouge" from your son. The only time I "look at the deck" is for my line ups at the START and IM. Once I'm IC, I focus MOSTLY on the ball, a glance or two at the Indexer, and no lineup, as I've been working that the whole pass... once I get IC to AR, I should be on my final bearing and lined up, IF I did my job. Mostly, my problem has been getting a good start without OVERCORRECTING... As I'm coming around, I'm either too high, or crossing far too right of lineup. So I've been trying to keep my turn in and not get too turn happy at the 90. Its a work in progress...

Oh yeah, here's some pics for everyone to see what I mean... labelled Abeam and 180Turn

Let me know what you think or where you start your turns.

Later
Sludge

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2011, 11:55:56 am »
... Would it be possible to have another mission with a carrier off the coast of Oceana or California?
With the next version of the program you will be able to fly any FSX carrier mission, provided there's a carrier (either the default or Javier's) in that mission. That means you will be able to create your own missions at any locations of your choice or use someone else's carrier missions. No limitations whatsoever.  8)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

GOONIE

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2011, 06:16:03 pm »
Cool, thanks Serge. Now I just need to learn how to make missions  ;)

Has anyone tried using FSX Instant Mission Maker? Any thoughts on if it is worth it to buy for making carrier and FCLP missions?

-CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2011, 10:11:02 pm »
With the next version of the program you will be able to fly any FSX carrier mission, provided there's a carrier (either the default or Javier's) in that mission. That means you will be able to create your own missions at any locations of your choice or use someone else's carrier missions. No limitations whatsoever.  8)

Serge...

That's awesome. Man, this vLSO keeps getting better and better.... that will make it soo flexible for carrier ops missions, especially that I like to fly out of Miramar.

Later
Sludge

MikeB54

« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2011, 10:17:26 pm »
Has anyone tried using FSX Instant Mission Maker? Any thoughts on if it is worth it to buy for making carrier and FCLP missions?

-CAPT

I haven't tried FSX Instant Mission Maker but I did purchase a copy of FSX Mission Editor a while back.  What I have found is that it isn't very intuitive.  I tried to edit some existing missions and found it a bit cumbersome.  I originally tried moving the TGS missions from the east coast to the west coast but wasn't very successful. Perhaps after I get into the manual more I will get more out of the program.

Mike

SUBS17

« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2011, 10:01:48 am »
Sludge and Mike,
Thanks for the input, I agree it is really difficult to make that groove time in FSX with view and sim limitations (screen size, etc). If you can post pictures detailing the 180 to the groove Sludge that would helpful. Also I want to see this flight chair you've built.  8) I am up for trying the rudder mod, see if it helps, does it just coordinate rudder for your turn? Is it different then the FSX auto-rudder feature?

As for ship placement, Oceana or Miramar would be great, but I will leave it up to Serge. I don't want it to detract from other developments, because once you are in the groove it really doesn't matter where you are, unless you need to bingo/divert  ;)

Subs17, I saw the PMDG ground crew video, that would be awesome if Javier included this in his next carrier release. Looks like he already started with the shooter animation on the CATs. I thought it would be cool to have one guy animated after you trap, giving you the hook up signal, then taxi clear of the landing area, then directions to a CAT. I am sure it is possible, but I won't hold my breath.

-CAPT

It would have to be a mission mod and not just Javiers carrier being edited. I think the existing ground crew 3d models would require editing and animation for handsignals for some of them but it would be within a mission as with that then you have the advantage of adding ATC to the Carrier, LSO and AI flights taking off and landing. If the carrier were to be edited to allow those functions it would still require a mission to be created as the deck crew have to interact with the player. Maybe with FSX@WAR they may have AI flights added to increase immersion. Just something I noticed in one of their videos.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2011, 05:52:59 am »
Guys,
Just a couple of questions...

As we agreed, the vLSO currently has four LSO talking levels - FULL (informative, advisory, and imperative), MEDIUM (advisory and imperative), MODERATE (imperative) and ZIP-LIP (no calls). According to the NAVAIR 00-80T-104 (p.9-2) the 'Roger ball' call is informative. This means that the pilot shouldn't 'call the ball' and receive 'roger ball' back if other than FULL level is selected. Right? But it seems to me that in real life pilots always call the ball (and get 'roger ball' back), unless in zip-lip conditions. Besides, in the NAVAIR 00-80T-104 (p.9-1) we read The LSO should not permit perceived pressure to maintain total radio silence during EMCON training or ZIP LIP conditions to override his absolute responsibility for the safe recovery of aircraft.
I do believe that ball call is crucial for safety of flight, and this means that calling ball should take place in all LSO talking levels, except Zip-Lip. So this confusing me a bit...  :) What do you guys think about it?

Another question. In the NAVAIR 00-80T-104 (figures 11-1, 11-2, pp.11-2, 11-3 respectively) you can see a Cut pass recorded. Its handwritten comment says 'landed on WO' and in the wire column there's T1. What's that? What does this T1 mean?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:37:30 am by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2011, 08:06:29 am »
Serge...

Good questions, to which I have no "real world" answers. Maybe we can get Mike to ask his son OR we can get JIMI to ask the Hornet driver.

Later
Sludge

GOONIE

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2011, 03:18:20 pm »
Serge,

I agree, having the ball call and roger ball for all ops except "zip lip" sounds right to me. I thought I read somewhere that for zip lip in the real world, the LSO would flash the cut lights (green lights) to signal to the pilot a "roger ball".

T1 probably means "Taxi into 1 wire", which means you landed well before the first wire then taxied into and caught the 1 wire, very dangerous.

-CAPT

MikeB54

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2011, 04:35:10 pm »
Serge...

Good questions, to which I have no "real world" answers. Maybe we can get Mike to ask his son OR we can get JIMI to ask the Hornet driver.

Later
Sludge

I have an email off to my son.  I'll let everyone know when I get an answer.

Mike

MikeB54

« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2011, 09:38:49 pm »
Just got a reply back from my son.  CAPT is right, he landed way short of the 1 wire and "taxied" into it.

Mike

grab

« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2011, 09:01:33 am »
Hi Folks,

The vLSO looks awesome. Can someone please point me to where I can download it. Many thanks

Gary
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:45:30 am by grab »

GOONIE

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2011, 03:00:40 pm »
Hi Folks,

The vLSO looks awesome. Can someone please point me to where I can download it. Many thanks

Gary

Look here http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4138.180

grab

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2011, 07:44:18 pm »
Thanks, sadly I have already tried both those links and they are dead.

cheers

Gary