Author Topic: Couatl starts manually, but not automatically with the simulator  (Read 23889 times)

jkanold

Re: Couatl starts manually, but not automatically with the simulator
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2022, 08:46:45 pm »
I purchased GSX on day one and everything worked as expected but, from the next build to build Dec 16th Couatl has to be started before or after the sim is loaded.
One possible conflict my be the fact that I use Airport Jetway Pro as I like to see the passengers through the glass sided jetways at default airports.
If I run the sim I get "Couatl Scripting Hasn't Started" and the log file is empty and no icon in the sys tray.
The file below is from starting the sim then Couatl. Which still gives the "Couatl Scripting Hasn't Started" error. However, there is an icon in the sys tray. If one continues to keep clicking GSX in the sim GSX will eventually start.

moxiejeff

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2022, 09:02:55 pm »
Same exact behavior is happening to me, but I'm not using that 3rd party mod you just mentioned.

Couatl is definitely struggling staying on the entire flight, I constantly have to re-start it manually.

Out of curiosity, are you on SU11 beta (with the AAU 1 update?)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2022, 01:34:24 pm »
However, there is an icon in the sys tray. If one continues to keep clicking GSX in the sim GSX will eventually start

This indicates the program started, and you only had to be patient and way for the airport cache to be regenerated. If you use the SU10 Navdata API option, it won't use the airport cache anymore, so the startup will be faster.

jkanold

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2022, 03:21:32 pm »
Out of curiosity, are you on SU11 beta (with the AAU 1 update?)
[/quote]

No, I am not on the Beta

jkanold

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2022, 03:41:52 pm »
[ If you use the SU10 Navdata API option, it won't use the airport cache anymore, so the startup will be faster.
Thx, that really helped.

CVJ

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2023, 09:16:20 pm »
I solved the problem by starting COUATL as an Administrator BEFORE starting the simulator. That works like a charm on my setup, provided I use the GSX "Taskbar button inside cockpit to start the app.
My setup is Windows 10 and the Microsoft Store version of the flight sim.

Ankh

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2023, 09:30:40 am »
So, due to my switch from a 8700K to a 13600K I took the plunge and re-installed Windows and MSFS. Then, as reports suggest better scheduler in Windows 11, I also performed a brand new install of Windows 11. Afterwards, I put all my addons back into MSFS, re-installed GSX Pro and guess what? Not a single issue with this nasty content.xml stuff, Couatl started each and everytime I fired up my sim. With the exact same number of addons I had before.

BUT: due to Couatl crashing when arriving at the gate, I modified the Couatl64.exe by ticking the "start as administrator" checkbox and the last update also automatically set "use Windows 8 compatibility mode". And guess what? Now this annoying little .exe does NOT start up with the sim anymore. What a bummer.

I will now remove those two checkboxes again and test. But honestly, I am so sick of this testing around, why this thing cant just run as expected?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2023, 11:31:53 am »
BUT: due to Couatl crashing when arriving at the gate, I modified the Couatl64.exe by ticking the "start as administrator" checkbox and the last update also automatically set "use Windows 8 compatibility mode". And guess what? Now this annoying little .exe does NOT start up with the sim anymore. What a bummer.

I will now remove those two checkboxes again and test. But honestly, I am so sick of this testing around, why this thing cant just run as expected?

As explained so many times already, we were never, ever, able to replicate the crash in flight. The only data we had is reports from users, and the only choice we have is to trust users that a solution worked for them, if they said so.

Since in the past weeks, we got overwhelming confirmations from multiple user that setting Windows 8 Compatibility mode totally fixed the crash in flight we could never replicate, we set it by default with the installer.

You are the one and only reporting that option is preventing the program to start. Of course, I cannot replicate that either because, before deciding to make the Windows 8 compatibility set as default, I tested it for at least a couple of weeks and, while I couldn't see ANY difference ( it didn't crash before, it doesn't crash now ), but at least I know it doesn't do any harm so, why should I doubt users that *had* the crash, all reporting Windows 8 Compatibility fixed the problem for them ?

If it doesn't work for you, you are the first one saying that so, just turn it off. And best not turn off "both" options at the same time, otherwise you'll never know which one works and which one doesn't.

Ankh

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2023, 08:54:54 am »
If it doesn't work for you, you are the first one saying that so, just turn it off.

I did, took the checkmark off the "use Windows 8 compatibility mode" and guess what, couatl starts again without hickup together with the sim. So in my case, using the Windows 8 compatibility mode does no good. BTW, I am on a brand new Windows 11 installation, might be that this is the reason and for Windows 10 users, the Windows 8 compatibility helps. Who knows...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2023, 12:43:59 pm »
I am on a brand new Windows 11 installation, might be that this is the reason and for Windows 10 users, the Windows 8 compatibility helps. Who knows...

Most users that confirmed the Windows 8 compatibility flag helped were using Windows 11, and some Windows 10.

hawkhero

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2023, 12:04:35 am »
I hope someone can help me. I just did a fresh install of Windows 11. Installed MSFS, and the add ons from Marketplace. I installed GSX Pro and other FSDreamteam airports. Loaded the sim and got the Couati engine hasn’t started. I started manually with the Couati shortcut that was installed on my desktop. GSX worked fine. I looked at the MSFS xml file and GSX is not on the startup. Fenix and Aerosoft VGDS is there. How can I fix this. Never had a problem before with GSX.
Thanks,
Greg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2023, 11:17:27 am »
I looked at the MSFS xml file and GSX is not on the startup. Fenix and Aerosoft VGDS is there. How can I fix this. Never had a problem before with GSX.

The addition to the exe.xml are made when installing GSX for the first time. If for any reason you lost the lines (perhaps another add-on has restored from a previous backup), you can use the FSDT Installer to recreate the lines.

If you Unlink GSX Pro ( choose Uninstall, but only Unlink, don't uninstall ) then Relink again, it will try to add the exe.xml lines back.

hawkhero

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2023, 02:56:13 pm »
I looked at the MSFS xml file and GSX is not on the startup. Fenix and Aerosoft VGDS is there. How can I fix this. Never had a problem before with GSX.

The addition to the exe.xml are made when installing GSX for the first time. If for any reason you lost the lines (perhaps another add-on has restored from a previous backup), you can use the FSDT Installer to recreate the lines.

If you Unlink GSX Pro ( choose Uninstall, but only Unlink, don't uninstall ) then Relink again, it will try to add the exe.xml lines back.

I delinked GSX. I now has the lines in the xml . Started the sim and the same thing happened. Did not start automatically. I checked both Couati exe files and both have run in windows 8 compatibility. I unselected that and now trying again. I let you know what happens.

UN-EYE-DENTIFIED

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2023, 04:37:08 am »
I believe MFS is having an issue with the .EXE file which is used to auto load community things. That is why things like the fenix needed to be opened manually until they recently updated it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2023, 10:07:57 am »
It amazes me how can something like this can get through a beta and then to a final release.

The obvious explanation would of course be that it doesn't normally happen.