Author Topic: Help  (Read 7259 times)

isobar

Help
« on: January 11, 2010, 08:15:23 pm »
I just completed a reformat of my computer. I am running Win 7 64bit. I have KJFK scenery for fs9 installed with no problem but I cannot get it on FSX at all. When FSX starts up the min I try to Fly Now is freezes and shuts down. Please help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:56:15 pm »
If you get a freeze and/or a CTD after the Fly Now screen, it doesn't have anything to do with anything related to FSDT because, at that point, the needed modules were already loaded so, if they were affected by problems to your config (like antivirus, etc), it would be apparent on the initial FSX splash screen, not after the Fly Now screen.

The problem must be something else, the fact that happened after KJFK installation is probably coincidental.

The obvious test is, of course, uninstalling KFJK using the proper Uninstaller on the Windows Control Panel, and replying YES to the question about removing the Addon Manager AND the Couatl Scripting engine. After this, you'll be in the exact same situation as if KJFK was never installed.

isobar

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:05:38 pm »
The problem seems to be related to FS Copilot. Without FS Copilot installed everything works great but the minute I install FS Copilot it freezes again. I fly online so I can't do without FS Copilot. Any suggestions?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:02:13 pm »
The problem seems to be related to FS Copilot. Without FS Copilot installed everything works great but the minute I install FS Copilot it freezes again.

I'm not sure to fully understand:

Are you getting a freeze when loading the scenery, only if you have both JFK and FS Copilot ?

OR

Are you getting the freeze on load with FS Copilot, regardless if JFK is installed ?

isobar

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:04:54 pm »
The freeze only occurs when both FS Copilot and JFK are installed. If I remove FS Copilot JFK works fine and no freeze up of FSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:29:41 pm »
If I remove FS Copilot JFK works fine and no freeze up of FSX.

But what happens if you remove just JFK and leave FS Copilot ?

To fully remove JFK, you need to reply YES to the question about removing both the Addon Manager and the Couatl script engine that are made when Uninstalling.

isobar

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:33:22 am »
If JFK is removed FSX works fine. Also one thing to note, during the uninstall of JFK it says the other files are not found. The addon manager and the couatl engine. I said yes to the uninstall but the files are not there. I have also tried just the addon manager as mentioned in previous postings but no luck either.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 03:56:15 am »
If JFK is removed FSX works fine

So, apparently, JFK and FS Copilot can't work toghether. That's not the first time it happened: a long time ago, when FS Copilot was active, it prevented any addon loaded before it to call Simconnect menus. I guess this hasn't fixed yet.

Try this:

Edit your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\DLL.XML file with a text editor, and try to exchange the FSCopilot section to appear as the LAST one in the list.

Also one thing to note, during the uninstall of JFK it says the other files are not found.

That's not a problem, that message simply says that, there's no file left to remove, because it was already removed.

isobar

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 04:58:12 pm »
I hate to be a pain. But I don't understand how to edit and save that xml file. If I copy and paste into MS Word what do I do next? Also do I need to reinstall the scenery first before I do this? Thanks for your patience. Bill.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 05:49:57 pm »
But I don't understand how to edit and save that xml file. If I copy and paste into MS Word what do I do next?

Better not using Word, because it might create problems: just use Notepad.

Select the whole FS Copilot section that is contained between its <Launch.Addon> and </Launch.Addon> tags, including these tags, and move it after all the other addons sections you have, but *before* the closing </SimBase.Document> tag, then save the file back.

Also do I need to reinstall the scenery first before I do this?

It's best if you do this as the last step, when both FS Copilot and JFK are installed.

isobar

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:57:28 pm »
No luck guess I will just switch from FS Copilot to Squawkbox. That works not sure why FS Copilot does not. Thanks for your help. If you do come up with any other suggestions please let me know. Bill.