Author Topic: Addon Manager and KJFK  (Read 5457 times)

rich2millions

Addon Manager and KJFK
« on: January 14, 2010, 12:02:30 am »
Hello,

I purchased and have been using FSDT KJFK. I have been successfully using the product until last week when my Addon Manager disappeared from my FSX menu. I tried the following 3x with no success:

Please Help,

Richard Stewart Byrd
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:56:54 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager and KJFK
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:02:05 am »
Please, be sure you are using the current version of all installers. If not, download the installers again, because they have been updated very recently.

Also, since you say the Addon Manager obvisouly worked until last week, it's clearly something that was changed in your config. Perhaps it's an antivirus mistake.

The usual suggestion is:

- Uninstall JFK, reply YES to BOTH questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?" and "Do you want to remove the Couatl Script Engine?"

- Turn the Antivirus OFF

- Reinstall JFK using the very latest installer. DON'T launch FSX yet.

- Configure your Antivirus to ignore the following files from scanning:

\FSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
\FSXFolder\fsdreamteam\couatl\Couatl.exe

- Turn the antivirus back ON

- Launch FSX.

rich2millions

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:55:46 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for you assistance. I have attached a screen shot of the error message I recvd while uninstalling the program. It is the same error message that I recv when the installation is completed.

Thanks,
Richard Byrd

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:14:50 am »
Hello,
Thanks for you assistance. I have attached a screen shot of the error message I recvd while uninstalling the program. It is the same error message that I recv when the installation is completed.

That message clearly indicates you that your DLL.XML was already corrupted BEFORE running either the JFK installer or uninstaller.

As the installer/uninstaller says, the file hasn't been touched at all. A formal syntax check is made BEFORE opening it and, in case an error is found, that error message is displayed, alerting that you should first fix the DLL.XML file, before the installation can be successful.

This is an obvious safety check becase, trying to apply modification on an already corrupted file will never work.

So, the reason why JFK stopped working, is that another addon you installed has corrupted your DLL.XML file.

The reson for the corruption is clearly indicated in the error message. Note that, we don't do anything to check the file: we just call the standard official Explorer validation routine, and even the error message itself is coming from IE/Windows so, it's 100% sure your file IS corrupted, and it was it like this before running our installer. In fact, if you try to open that file with Internet Explorer, it will probably give you the same error.

So, either you fix the wrong tag or, if you are not comfortable with hand editing that file, if you simply remove it, the JFK installer will recreate a correct, one from scratch.

rich2millions

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:48:48 am »
Hello,

I followed the instructions and re-installed the latest version of KJFK file and I received the following error message. I also included a snapshot of my FSX folder. I'm really not that familiar with altering and moving files, is it possible for you to give me instructions on exactly what I need to do to fix this problem.

Thanks,

Richard S Byrd

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 02:56:33 am »
That error simply means your XML file still has the same error than it was reported before.

As I've said, if you remove it, a new one will be created from scratch. Note that, you EXE.XML might also be corrupted as well, the 2nd error message doesn't tell exactly which file was the problem. Same as the DLL.XML file, if you remove the EXE.XML file, a new one will be recreated correctly by the installer.