Author Topic: GSX 2 - Gates on roof at KGSP?  (Read 6264 times)

ieydis

GSX 2 - Gates on roof at KGSP?
« on: October 04, 2018, 06:24:21 pm »
Saw this in KGSP, KCAK but some other airports look fine.  Any ideas?  Elevation issue?  Also using Rex WAHD.

Thanks!

Ilya
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 06:34:08 pm by ieydis »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX 2 - Gates on roof at KGSP?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:53:34 pm »
If you have OrbX vector, disable the airport in their AEC utility.

ieydis

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 12:36:30 am »
Thanks Umberto.  That fixed it though I'm a bit surprised that this has not been reported by many other users.

Ilya

pete_auau

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 02:25:25 am »
think  that  the many users have read  the  pdf  that  came  with the install of  ftx  vector:)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 02:27:31 am by pete_auau »

ieydis

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 08:32:51 pm »
Seriously?  As most people, I always run the auto config option in Vector when adding/changing scenery.  Where does it say in their manual that you need to add the entire airport to AEC when GSX2 puts gates on the roof?

vysous

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 10:02:06 pm »
I am not entirely convinced that this is the right approach to the problem.

ORBX AES is there for a reason - it fixes the incorrect elevations of the airports in order for them to be compatible with the surrounding mesh.

The solution "disable the AES for every airport with GSX gates to make it stick out of the surrounding terrain" is not good enough for me.
Either make GSX read the correct AFCAD files (long-term solution) or add an option to set the elevation of GSX gates manualy (for god sake, it is a single number).

Midnight Music

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 05:51:40 am »
The best way to fix that is to create your own AFCAD with a revised altitude, suited to the adjusted ORBX vector altitude. Then GSX will read this new AFCAD instead of the old default AFCAD and put the gates at the correct altitude.

Lee

tkemp66

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 06:47:46 am »
The best way to fix that is to create your own AFCAD with a revised altitude, suited to the adjusted ORBX vector altitude. Then GSX will read this new AFCAD instead of the old default AFCAD and put the gates at the correct altitude.

Lee

How exactly do you do that Lee?
Troy Kemp

vysous

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 07:41:30 am »

Lee

Can you describe this in detail? However, I would still prefer the solution on the GSX side, instead of the (admit it would also be quite annoying to this for all airports) fiddling with the simulator.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 12:31:49 pm »

Sorry, but that's *exactly* like disabling the airport in the AEC tool.

The issue is not "GSX not reading the correct AFCAD", because GSX obviously does. The issue is that GSX doesn't read an AFCAD if it's not a complete airport.

OrbX changes the default elevation of an airport, by adding a very small AFCAD that doesn't contain *anything* other than the elevation change. GSX won't use it, since it's not an airport, there's nothing there GSX can use, and GSX always read one AFCAD at the time.

By disabling the airport in the AEC tool, the small altitude correction .BGL is disabled, so the airport goes back to the altitude set in its own AFCAD, which GSX can use.

vysous

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 12:36:04 pm »
Sorry, but that's *exactly* like disabling the airport in the AEC tool.

Except disabling it in AEC makes the airport (eventually) to be at the incorrect altitude (this is why AEC fixes it in the first place).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:39:18 pm by vysous »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 12:44:19 pm »
Except disabling it in AEC makes the airport (eventually) to be at the incorrect altitude (this is why AEC fixes it at first place).

No, that's not what the AEC does.

With the exception of few airports which were wrong in the default scenery (and they have been surely corrected if you had a 3rd party addon for that airport with its own AFCAD), the AEC tool set the airport altitude to a value which is in the middle between the highest and the lowest elevation of the various runway ends, opposite to what is the usual convention of setting the AFCAD to the airport officially published altitude.

This is made to reduce the "plateau" effect, which is caused by having the flattened airport meeting an addon elevation mesh that hasn't been pre-processed (like the default are) to smooth out the elevation differences at the runways ends.

vysous

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 12:53:14 pm »
Ok, we can agree on that - by incorrect I meant "the one making the airport look ugly in the surrounding terrain using the non-default mesh". Still, I would be happy to be able to use GSX together with ORBX AEC. There is without any doubt a really huge group of simmers using FTX Vector. Suggesting everyone to manually disable AEC is not a good way (in my opinion) to solve the problem. Is it technically so difficult to make GSX cooperate with FTX AEC? Everyone knows where the new altitudes are stored... Or (as I suggested several times) at least give me an option to change the airport elevation manually at GSX customization page. Please :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:59:22 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 01:02:28 pm »
Ok, we can agree on that - by incorrect I meant "the one making the airport look ugly in the surrounding terrain using the non-default mesh".

Sure, now we agree. Although the proper definition would be:

"making the airport look ugly in the surrounding terrain using the non-default mesh, one the mesh developer didn't care to pre-process to smooth out elevation differences a the runway ends, when runways are sloped"

Or (as I suggested several times) at least give me an option to change the airport elevation manually at GSX customization page.

We surely can add this as a temporary solution, but the real solution would be doing it automatically, if possible. For the time being, disabling the airport in AEC is the thing you can use NOW.

vysous

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 01:05:55 pm »
We surely can add this as a temporary solution, but the real solution would be doing it automatically, if possible. For the time being, disabling the airport in AEC is the thing you can use NOW.

I agree. However,I would be happy for any solution (temporary, whatever). I like GSX and without a fix, I cannot use it.