Author Topic: Assign joystick buttons to GSX functions  (Read 2526 times)

liftoff

Assign joystick buttons to GSX functions
« on: June 13, 2016, 10:30:02 pm »
I'm wondering how you cockpit builders use GSX?
Obviously I'd like to get rid of the keyboard and mouse but GSX is currently the only part of my P3D setup that prevents this.

First issue is the menu window. The default size is too smal and requires you to resize it to be able to see all the options.
Perhaps there could be a configuration setting like "Always display full size menu window"?

The other issue is key assignments. I know that you can assign whatever keyboard buttons you like, but I can't seem to find any way to assign joystick buttons?
I can kind of do it via FSUIPC to map joystick buttons to a key presses and display/hide the menu and select the items. The drawback is that this requires that the GSX menu window has focus, or the key presses will not be catched by it. In practise, this is a show stopper. My cockpit use joystick buttons (32-button interface cards) to control everything and for all other stuff I can achieve this by using e.g. Simconnect, the PDG API, or FSUIPC. Is there any way to do this with GSX?

Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Assign joystick buttons to GSX functions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 12:10:57 pm »
First issue is the menu window. The default size is too smal and requires you to resize it to be able to see all the options. Perhaps there could be a configuration setting like "Always display full size menu window"?

That's not a GSX issue, but a general Simconnect issue. We don't have any control over that window size, which is made using entirely different methods on FSX, P3D V1, V2 and V3 (all different) and outside the control of the addon that is calling that menu, and even the size is not predictable, since the font used is different and, again, outside our control, unless we tried to do some potentially dangerous hooking of the Windows messaging system, which of course would affect every other 3rd party addon using the same window (since there's just ONE Window that is shared and re-used by all addons calling a menu).

I can kind of do it via FSUIPC to map joystick buttons to a key presses and display/hide the menu and select the items. The drawback is that this requires that the GSX menu window has focus, or the key presses will not be catched by it.

Have you tried a generic joystick to key macro utility ? Maybe they won't change (or restore it ) the focus when sending keys.