Author Topic: LAX for P3Dv5??  (Read 27266 times)

Pvazquez

LAX for P3Dv5??
« on: October 11, 2020, 08:30:14 pm »
Hello,

Is this airport compatible with P3Dv5?

Thanks
Pvazquez

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: LAX for P3Dv5??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 09:35:21 pm »
Yes.

Pvazquez

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 08:35:11 pm »
Thank you... I just have to download and run the installer and that's it?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 01:40:41 am »
The, the installer supports all simulators.

trisho0

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 07:30:59 am »
The, the installer supports all simulators.
Downloaded KLAX Los Angeles v2 Installer 1.7.2 and received a setup error message for FSX sim. P3Dv4 and v5 went fine. I don't see what to edit from FSX dll.xml file. So, what to do next? KLAX loads in FSX just OK. I think the Installer needs attention.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 09:24:09 am »
I think the Installer needs attention.

The installer doesn't need any attention and, in fact, it's doing you a favor: is showing your DLL.XML from FSX has a problem, and is prompting you EXACTLY how to fix it. As the message says:

The problem was caused by another installer ( not ours ), which changed the file encoding without changing also the XML *header*, making the XML illegal, since if the header doesn't match the actual encoding of the file, the file is basically lying about itself. It's not we made up this: we are not trying to verify the XML ourselves, we use the official MS XML parser that comes with Windows, and we run the XML files through it, to be sure they are fine because, trying to modify a corrupted XML will probably corrupt it even more, so we check the file BEFORE making any changes to it.

Again, the problem was caused by another installer, that changed it, maybe to UTF-8, but FORGOT to ALSO change the header of the file which indicates the encoding, creating an illegal file.

The message you saw from out installer gave you the precise, exact, solution that is proven to work:

- Use a text editor, for example the free Notepad++, open the DLL.XML and save it back in ANSI format, which is the default FSX use.

trisho0

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 11:35:19 am »
The message you saw from out installer gave you the precise, exact, solution that is proven to work:

- Use a text editor, for example the free Notepad++, open the DLL.XML and save it back in ANSI format, which is the default FSX use.

Then, Notepad++ is not saving the xml file as intended. I follow the Setup Installer to create a new DLL.xml then comparing both I don't see difference the error. Posting the created file ...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Addon Manager</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>D:\Microsoft Games\Addon Manager\bglmanx.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

This content is present in the DLL.xml file posted earlier. Where is the error?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I found the windows Notepad is able to save the DLL.xml file in ANSI and issue resolved. I didn't find a way to save in ANSI with Notepad++.
Many thanks to Virtuali.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 05:52:44 pm by trisho0 »

CorbiniansBear

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 05:25:36 pm »
"or Lockheed Martin Prepar3D ( the latest version of every supported major release, for example 3.4 in P3D4 or 4.4 in P3D4 )"

I respectfully submit that this language is a bit ambiguous. especially since v4 scenery is not compatible with v5. I don't know about other people, but I'm very careful about avoiding anything not explicitly supported in v.5+  I know I have not bought LAX because of this. Yes, it could be read that it would work in v5.2, but using v4 as an example raises a question. Just saying, an update to the description might help sales. And yes, I'm a lawyer, so I am very sensitive to "statutory construction." :-) Merry Christmas and best wishes for a prosperous P3D New Year (especially with a v5 PHNL; if ORBX Vector is an issue, I think there is general agreement that it is not useful in v5, anyway, and FWIW I have deleted it without noticing any difference). I am continually amazed at the cleverness and sheer artistry (can't imagine the coding) for the pax. Keep up the great work!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 11:10:59 pm »
"or Lockheed Martin Prepar3D ( the latest version of every supported major release, for example 3.4 in P3D4 or 4.4 in P3D4 )"

I respectfully submit that this language is a bit ambiguous.

No, it's just a web page that hasn't been updated after P3D V5 came out. But strictly speaking, if we wanted to replace it with an ACCURATE description of what really is our general approach to supporting various version, which should say something like:

the scenery is compatible with every version of the LAST major version of each supported simulator, but only with the latest version of previous major versions of the supported simulators.

Which really means:

- On FS9, we only support 9.1

- On FSX, we only support FSX SP2 or FSX:Steam, not FSX RTM or FSX SP1.

- On P3D 1, we support only 1.4 for V1, 2.5 for V2, 3.4 for V3, 4.4+ for V4 and every version of V5.

So, it's still not *totally* accurate, since we are support the latest *two* versions of P3D V4 and the latest *two* version of FSX, but it's "mostly" accurate. A "proper" accurate description should be some kind of product grid...

especially since v4 scenery is not compatible with v5

I don't know why you are saying that. A native V4 scenery is very likely to work very well in V5, and lots of FSX sceneries work too. But that's only in general, the reality is more on a case-by-case and yes, in THIS case, KLAX DOES WORK IN P3D V5.

Our sceneries are quite different than the others so, any general rule you might have learn from other products, might not apply to us.

That's because part of what the scenery does, is handled in code, both in GSX ( they don't really work without ), but also specific code that, for example, when the scenery loads, displays dynamically different objects depending on the simulator used. KLAX is one of them, is able to self-modify the scenery files, even if you run FSX first and then run P3D, files are changed/updated/loaded differently in real-time depending on the simulator they run under. Some of them have their GSX/YouControl adapting to the version of the sim, and in P3D it changes if you are in Avatar mode.

I don't know about other people, but I'm very careful about avoiding anything not explicitly supported in v.5+  I know I have not bought LAX because of this. Yes, it could be read that it would work in v5.2, but using v4 as an example raises a question.

You are making it far too complex than it really is. First, we have what I think is more clear sentence here, the one labeled with a big "IMPORTANT" sign, on the P3D 4/5 DOWNLOAD PAGE:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_p3d.html

IMPORTANT
This page indicates only those products that have a P3D4/5 Native version and don't work in FSX or older version of P3D ( 1, 2 and 3 ). On the FSX Products page, you'll find many other products that were originally made for FSX, but the installer supports all P3D version, including P3D V5.x

So, we are not just HONESTLY representing the products, saying that it was originally made for FSX (on that page you'll find only products *native* for P3D4/5 made using the P3D SDK that CANNOT work other than P3D4 or 5 ), but we are ALSO saying they have been tested to work in P3D V5 as well, and their installer fully supports it.

But that's besides the point.

The real point is, with our FSX/P3D products, the site Description and the System Requirements are not so important. That's because ALL PRODUCTS ARE SOLD IN TRY-BEFORE-BUY!. I'm sure nobody other than yourself is able to judge how well/bad they work in your simulator of interest.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 11:16:02 pm by virtuali »

CorbiniansBear

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 06:11:22 pm »
Not trying to start an argument. It was really a suggestion for your benefit. Even after reading your post I'm still not sure if PHNL will work or not since the system requirements are the same and neither mention v5. I have tried both PHNL and KLAX and both crashed my vanilla P3D 5.2 setup. On the other hand, I have Chicago V2 and it works beautifully. And GSX2 is superb. Having bought one v4 scenery (from someone else) and it not working, I suppose I'm just careful. Best wishes for a happy and prosperous new year.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 06:32:15 pm »
Even after reading your post I'm still not sure if PHNL will work or not since the system requirements are the same and neither mention v5.

I'll repeat again the relevant part, which you find on the Prepar3D V4/V5 page:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_p3d.html

IMPORTANT
This page indicates only those products that have a P3D4/5 Native version and don't work in FSX or older version of P3D ( 1, 2 and 3 ). On the FSX Products page, you'll find many other products that were originally made for FSX, but the installer supports all P3D version, including P3D V5.x

What, exactly, is unclear about that ?

Saying the installer supports P3D V5, obviously means all sceneries in the FSX download page WORK in P3D V5. It wouldn't be very useful purposely making an installer that support the sim, and let you install something that doesn't work with it...

I have tried both PHNL and KLAX and both crashed my vanilla P3D 5.2 setup.

They surely don't, and everybody use them with V5 with no issues.

What do you mean with "both crashed" ? A scenery cannot crash, the sim can crash but, even if the crash happened *there*, doesn't mean the scenery caused it.

A common cause for crashes is AI planes with corrupted/missing textures that, due to livery/operator/schedules appear in one airport but not in others, and this can easily mislead you assuming the scenery has a problem ( "it only happens there!" ), when in fact it's an AI that caused it.

This is the only thing I can think of, considering your extremely vague report of such crash. If you could be more precise, I might be able to help you more but I can assure you BOTH sceneries works with P3D V5 just fine. The obviously do, otherwise we wouldn't allowed the installer to install in V5!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 06:35:13 pm by virtuali »