Author Topic: P3D V5.1 Out  (Read 6194 times)

micstatic

P3D V5.1 Out
« on: October 28, 2020, 08:00:28 pm »
Question on this Umberto.  Does V5.1 make any changes that will allow you to bring back the RTT logo/gate display system?  Also I am curious as always to here your insight on what you think about V5.1 now that it is out.

Michael1

Re: P3D V5.1 Out
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 08:45:33 pm »
hopefully this release addresses some of the concerns with dx 12 and render to texture

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 09:41:48 pm »
We have been working with 5.1 for months, but nothing has changed in relationship to DX12, is not that 5.1 made it any easier or less risky to use, so won't use it.

However, the big news ( from an SDK point of view ), is support for HTML5 rendering, which replaced the old Scaleform based on Flash technology.

The ATC/Simconnect menu is now made with HTML5+Javascript and the first advantage is that we should finally stop seeing issues with the "GSX menu", that lead to crashes when opening the GSX menu ( it's not the GSX menu, it's the ATC/Simconnect menu ), which contributed to spread the urban legend that GSX can crash the sim ( it can't ), what was crashing in 5.0 was the old Scaleform menu, which is a technology that has been bought by Autodesk only to get rid of it. And Flash will officially die forever in early 2021 anyway.

While there will be an immediate gain in stability with the new menu system, the more interesting thing for us, is that HTML5 is supposed to work with RTT too, which means we might possibly be able to do the same things we used to do in P3D4 using DirectX 11, but in HTML5, which is surely easier to use, faster to develop for, and hopefully less risky. This feature ( RTT with HTML ) has been added very late in the Beta, like a couple of weeks ago, so we didn't had any time to really test it, and is basically not documented yet, other than having got a verbal reassurance from LM that it should work with any kind of scenery or vehicle object.

This doesn't mean you can expect a GSX update to get back custom logos over vehicles or active panels very quickly. The feature is new, we haven't really tested to see if there are any possible issues or performance problems in a real world situation, and there would be a whole new piece of code to write for GSX, to replace what we used to do with DirectX into something using this new system.

micstatic

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 02:42:05 am »
thanks for your reply

DMdoc

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 12:46:24 pm »
Umberto: I have been using GSX & GSX2 on P3Dv5. When I upgrade to P3Dv5.1 (probably this weekend), will the GSX products work as they did in P3Dv5?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 12:52:38 pm »
Umberto: I have been using GSX & GSX2 on P3Dv5. When I upgrade to P3Dv5.1 (probably this weekend), will the GSX products work as they did in P3Dv5?

Yes, nothing will change, except you'll see a its menu looking a bit different, because LM has remade it in HTML5.

ahuimanu

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 07:38:22 pm »
So, what will you do when MSFS goes DX12?  Your stated strategy for P3D and other legacy sims is GSX, is GSX a product priority for MSFS?

The FSLabs integration is very well done and appreciated, BTW.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 09:55:53 pm »
So, what will you do when MSFS goes DX12?  Your stated strategy for P3D and other legacy sims is GSX, is GSX a product priority for MSFS?

If won't affect us the slightest, because in MSFS we haven't touched DirectX even when Simconnect support will be completed, allowing us to port GSX over, it surely won't use DirectX directly ( it's not even possible, and it will never be ), but we are confident there will be other ways to create dynamic textures there, since MSFS also use HTML5 a lot, so it only good for us that P3D is also moving in that direction.

canadagoose

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 03:36:24 am »
Interesting topic. I just started using P3dV5.1 and when I CTRL F12 I noticed the menu is very different from before. It appears to be oversized with "block letter" fonts. The uipanel.cfg file contents shown below have 2 entries. I'm curious, since [Entry.1] is what is being used now, is there any need to have [Entry.0] Scaleform shown as "True" or can it be changed to "False" or even removed, having [Entry.1] becoming [Entry.0]? Maybe I am overthinking this.

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\
uipanel.cfg

[Entry.0]
Title=Default Scaleform UI
Path=Scaleform
Required=True
Active=True

[Entry.1]
Title=Default HTML5 UI
Path=HTML5
Required=True
Active=True

Regards

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 12:30:09 am »
I have the same entries ( both are true ), but my menu sizes are right, it depends mostly by your screen resolution and ( probably ) windows font size settings too.

canadagoose

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 08:30:36 pm »
Thank you for the quick response.

Regards

alexm90

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 11:21:32 am »
Any update on custom logos, airport handler on v5.1? After all its now 6 months after the release of 5.1
KR
Alexander

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 11:56:07 am »
Any update on custom logos, airport handler on v5.1? After all its now 6 months after the release of 5.1
Here you go.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,24697.msg165686.html#msg165686
Captain Kevin

alexm90

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 10:09:42 pm »
Thanks!