Author Topic: Couatl issues in p3d v2.5 **SOLVED**  (Read 4291 times)

ahsmatt7

Couatl issues in p3d v2.5 **SOLVED**
« on: August 11, 2015, 06:30:21 pm »
Umberto,

Good afternoon. I have been using your sceneries since oh I think around 2010 or 2011. I love them all and have never had any issues running them on fsx....ever.

I've decided to give p3d v2.5 a shot and it looks like I'm going to make the switch permanently.

Here's my issue. I have had two issues regarding couatl.

1. About 50% of the time, couatl won't show up under the add on menu in p3d. The add on manager will, but not couatl. Thst being said, my airports don't work.

I have noticed that this happens usually ever other time I start p3d. In some cases I'll start p3d twice, and no couatl. Then on the third time, everything works. Then on the fourth time, no couatl. The pattern continues.

2. This error happened twice. Now I honestly don't know if this error is a couatl error, a p3d error or an aerosoft airbus a320/321 error. I'm doing my due research with all three variables with this one.

I was rolling on 15L at kiah with the airbus and I got a CTD from p3d. The dialogue window said p3d suddenly stopped working.

The second time I got this error, it happened randomly in cruise so I believe it may have nothing to do with couatl. However, it's worth my due research to figure this out.

Now after reading about your solutions with Antivirus and updating the add on manager, here's what I have tried.

I have updated the standalone add on manager four days ago.

During download and install, I had Norton 360 smart firewall and autoprotect turned off completely for 1 hr.

I then ran p3d and couatl still wouldn't start.

I then went into my settings in Norton 360 and excluded the entire drive p3d is on, the entire p3d folder, the fsdreamteam folder in p3d and the individual couatl.exe program and the bglmanx.dll file from autoprotect and auto scanning like you have said to do in other posts.

The problem with couatl not showing up in the add on menu is still happening dispite these efforts.

I'm at a loss now as to what is going on.

I do have the 777 installed by pmdg as well as flight beams kden and ksfo.

I have never had these issues with FSX. Not once. Before I installed p3d v2.5, I only had the fsx drive excluded in Norton 360. (The same drive p3d is on).

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:22:38 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl issues in p3d v2.5
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:11:07 pm »
1. About 50% of the time, couatl won't show up under the add on menu in p3d. The add on manager will, but not couatl. Thst being said, my airports don't work.

You don't say if you are using the latest version, which is now no longer Beta.

have noticed that this happens usually ever other time I start p3d. In some cases I'll start p3d twice, and no couatl. Then on the third time, everything works. Then on the fourth time, no couatl. The pattern continues.

When you close the simulator, check if maybe Couatl.exe is still running from the previous run. It takes a bit for the sim to close all open files and the executables it has launched so, if you restart the sim too quickly without allowing enough time for the executable from the previous session, it won't run on the next start, because it started a communication with the *previous* session of the sim, which is not there anymore.

To check this, look in the Task Manager after you exit the sim, and see if there's still a Couatl.exe running there, if it closes correctly after a while (shouldn't be more than 5-10 seconds) and if it doesn't, terminate manually before restarting the sim again.

2. This error happened twice. Now I honestly don't know if this error is a couatl error, a p3d error or an aerosoft airbus a320/321 error. I'm doing my due research with all three variables with this one.

I was rolling on 15L at kiah with the airbus and I got a CTD from p3d. The dialogue window said p3d suddenly stopped working.

The second time I got this error, it happened randomly in cruise so I believe it may have nothing to do with couatl. However, it's worth my due research to figure this out.

NONE of these crashes can have anything to do with Couatl because, as a separate .EXE, it CANNOT crash the sim. That's the main advantage of being a separate .EXE because:

1) I CANNOT access the sim memory, thus it cannot crash it. If Couatl.exe would crash, it will crash just for itself, but it cannot bring down the sim with it.

2) It will not take away from the sim memory, because (as an external .EXE) it has its own separate VAS address space.

During download and install, I had Norton 360 smart firewall and autoprotect turned off completely for 1 hr.

I then ran p3d and couatl still wouldn't start.

I then went into my settings in Norton 360 and excluded the entire drive p3d is on, the entire p3d folder, the fsdreamteam folder in p3d and the individual couatl.exe program and the bglmanx.dll file from autoprotect and auto scanning like you have said to do in other posts.

I'm sorry, but after the latest reports (Norton being so bugged, that even blocked the couatl *updater*), we cannot really trust anything from Norton. I personally witnessed during a Teamviewer connection with an user, Norton STILL blocking the file, WITHOUT TELLING, and even when the user had CORRECTLY configured it all the right exclusions, both for realtime protection and for manual scan. We had to go into the Norton LOG to see it was STILL blocking our files.

So, I cannot offer you any other antivirus suggestions, other than switching to a more reliable one, that doesn't mistakenly flag legit files from scanning.

But see the other advice about checking if there's still a Couatl.exe running from a previous session.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:15:19 pm by virtuali »

ahsmatt7

Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:19:29 am »
I did see on another post that Norton was doing what you explained. I saw the download links for the individual files. I'll try that method and report back in a couple of days. I will also see about the couatl process still running after closing down p3d. That sounds very very plausible.

ahsmatt7

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:25:37 pm »
I just did a flight from both Flightbeam KDEN and KSFO airports. Everything was working fine at denver. Couatl started up and the airport was there but when I was landing into KSFO, The buildings weren't there. I then switched airports to FSDTs KLAX. The airport buildings and textures weren't there.

I went to restart couatl using the menu option and nothing happens. the menu just disappears when I click restart couatl.

Whats going on with this. I never had any issues with this stuff in FSX....

pcubine

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:21:57 am »
I then went into my settings in Norton 360
Based upon Umberto's recommendation I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials since September 2010 on 2 Operating Systems and three computers and have had no issues with any files being blocked at anytime. It is free. Use it if you can.
Michael Cubine

NZXT H440 Mid Tower, ASRock Z170 MB, i7-7700K (OC 5.0), Corsair Hydro H1 15i Liquid Cooling, 32GB DDR4 TridentZ SDRAM 3000MHz, 11GB NVIDA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card, 1000 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

ahsmatt7

Re: Re: Couatl issues in p3d v2.5
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 04:23:14 am »
I then went into my settings in Norton 360
Based upon Umberto's recommendation I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials since September 2010 on 2 Operating Systems and three computers and have had no issues with any files being blocked at anytime. It is free. Use it if you can.
You know what's funny about that??? I Uninstaller my Norton and everything worked out fine. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look Into that program.