Author Topic: Addon manager and P3d 2.5  (Read 6928 times)

Peter22

Addon manager and P3d 2.5
« on: February 14, 2015, 02:31:22 pm »
Hi guys it is there any advise on how use the add manager specially at Affinity mask .P3d defoult is 114...I do have a I7 4790 with Nvidia 780 and 16Gb memory. Windows7 64
Thanks
Pedro

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon manager and P3d 2.5
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 02:50:26 pm »
The Addon Manager doesn't change or do anything to your affinity mask. It READS the existing value from your existing Prepar3D.CFG file, and it just offer you an easier interface to set it, instead of trying to figure out binary arithmetic.

It's only after you press the SAVE button, than any settings will be changed.

If you didn't had ANY affinity settings, the program will display a default value based on a good setting for a quad-core system, but again, nothing has changed yet, you are only looking at the value that WILL be saved to your .CFG file IN CASE you'll press "SAVE" button.

As far usage is concerned, the top row of CPUs are the "real" cores, the 2nd row are the "logical" cores from hyperthreading. This means, depending if hyperthreading is enabled or not in your system, you might want to enable the logical cores or not.

A good practice is to leave the 1st physical core to Windows, and all the rest to the sim. Which translates into:

- All the top CPU icons enabled EXCEPT the 1st, if hyperthreading is disabled in the BIOS

- All the top AND bottom CPU icons enabled EXCEPT the 1st on top and the 1st below it, if hyperthreading is enable in the BIOS

Of course, if your system is a quad-core, you'll will have to enable only 3 cores, if it's a six-core only 5 cores, and if it's an 8 cores, only 7 cores (to leave the 1st to Windows).

Peter22

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 03:09:26 pm »
My I7 is 8 cores and  hyperthreading is enable in the BIOS how about Force fullCreenVsync?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:12:02 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 03:17:48 pm »
My I7 is 8 cores and  hyperthreading is enable in the BIOS

Your CPU is a 4 core with hyperthreading, so you have 4 physical cores, each one with 2 logical cores. So, if hyperthreading is enabled, I'd set the top and bottom rows for the 3 cores, starting from the 2nd one. Which translates to 252.

how about Force fullCreenVsync?

This doesn't have anything to do with cores. It's a setting that prevents screen "tearing", those broken lines on the screen when you pan the view, which are the result of a new frame being generated while the old one is still being drawn.

With VSync enabled, a new frame will only be generated when the previous one is completed. This will result in smoother pans and better visual quality, but a some fps cost, because new frames will be only generated every refresh, not in the middle of a refresh.

Peter22

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 04:04:49 pm »
My I7 is 8 cores and  hyperthreading is enable in the BIOS

Your CPU is a 4 core with hyperthreading, so you have 4 physical cores, each one with 2 logical cores. So, if hyperthreading is enabled, I'd set the top and bottom rows for the 3 cores, starting from the 2nd one. Which translates to 252.

how about Force fullCreenVsync?

This doesn't have anything to do with cores. It's a setting that prevents screen "tearing", those broken lines on the screen when you pan the view, which are the result of a new frame being generated while the old one is still being drawn.

With VSync enabled, a new frame will only be generated when the previous one is completed. This will result in smoother pans and better visual quality, but a some fps cost, because new frames will be only generated every refresh, not in the middle of a refresh.
Perfect tahnk you very much I will take u advise in consideration....P3d 2.5 has change so many structural things in a way that pretty much no one wants to touch anything there.....:) But I ll take the challenge..if doest work I just go back...nothing to loose
Thanks
Pedro

Peter22

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 04:11:15 pm »
Sorry my ignorance...Ijust took a pic with task manager open ...there are not 8 cores? ???
Please advise
Pedro

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/Rzy
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:14:33 pm by Peter22 »

Peter22

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 04:21:15 pm »
here another pic in KSFO PMDG B777 look at the first core is all the way top...thats how it should be affinity mask 252?
Thanks
Pedro
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/Rz8

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 04:23:30 pm »
Sorry my ignorance...Ijust took a pic with task manager open ...there are not 8 cores? ???

The Task Manager shows both physical and logical cores. The odd numbered ones ( 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th ) are the physical ones, the even numbered ones are the logical ones ( 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th ).

The Addon Manager doesn't try to detect how many cores you really have. It simply allow to you set any allowed value in the sim, which ranges from 0 to 65535.

So, as I've said, since your CPU it's 4 physical cores and 4 logical cores, you should probably set it to 252, which means the top and the bottom cpu icons from the 2nd to 4th column are enabled, with the ones on the 1st and 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th column disabled, top and bottom. The value should be 252.

Peter22

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 04:28:12 pm »
ok well thank you very much...I guess I am going with 252.
Regards
Pedro

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 04:30:25 pm »
here another pic in KSFO PMDG B777 look at the first core is all the way top...thats how it should be affinity mask 252?

Assuming you SAVED the settings to be 252 AND restarted the sim, the CPU usage is a bit high for the 1st core so, either you:

1) Haven't saved the settings

OR

2) Haven't restarted the sim

OR

3) Some process in Windows is REALLY taking 100% of your 1st core, because if your settings were correct, 252 should mean the first two cores should be used only by Windows and not by the sim.

In fact, what I can see on my system, is that the first two cores are not used much, and most of the cpu occupation is on the 3rd core, which is exactly how it's supposed to look like with a setting like 252 ( or 65532, in my case, because my system it's a Dual quad-core, so it's 8 real cores or 16 with hyperthreading )

Peter22

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 04:51:15 pm »
yeah I just saved and reopen P3d....see how behave...however, I didnt know that I7 4790 was 4 cores????...I definitely thought it was 8...
Regards

yes saved and reopen P3d core 1 now is down almost 0 core 3 is high...the rest show some activity but I will say 20%
keep testing here
regards
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:56:32 pm by Peter22 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 04:56:38 pm »
I didnt know that I7 4790 was 4 cores????...I definitely thought it was 8...

It's 4 physical cores, that are seen as 8 logical cores by the OS, because of hyper-threading:

http://ark.intel.com/products/80809

If it had 8 physical cores (16 with HT) you would have seen 16 cpu bars in the Task Manager.

Peter22

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 05:10:09 pm »
Ohhhh ok Thanks
Pedro