Author Topic: A question regarding the baggage loaders  (Read 5513 times)

WebMaximus

A question regarding the baggage loaders
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:33:32 pm »
When I'm at my departure gate calling any of the GSX ground services like the fuel truck or the catering service why do the baggage loaders show up? IMHO it would be better if they would start away from the parking spot like the catering vehicle and then show up loaded with the bags.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: A question regarding the baggage loaders
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:31:58 pm »
why do the baggage loaders show up? When IMHO it would be better if they would start away from the parking spot like the catering vehicle and then show up loaded with the bags.

That's exactly what they do: when you select De-Boarding, BOTH the baggage trains and the belt loaders spawn from the parking. But if you select Boarding, the *trains* come from far away, loaded with bags.

WebMaximus

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 12:08:53 am »
Well...at least here when I start at a gate and still haven't 'activated' GSX by using any of its services then when I bring up the GSX menu and call for catering services and the fuel truck at the same moment the baggage loaders appear next to my aircraft and then after a while they drive off to get the bags I assume.

Are you saying that if you are standing at a gate and then start by calling for catering services or the fuel truck the baggage loaders don't appear?
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 12:33:44 am »
Are you saying that if you are standing at a gate and then start by calling for catering services or the fuel truck the baggage loaders don't appear?

You mean the baggage *Train* ? Yes, they do if you start from Fuel or Catering, but they are NOT the same that are going to bring your bags when you'll eventually call "Boarding". Check better: OTHER Trains will come from far away instead, loaded with bags.

WebMaximus

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 11:32:29 am »
Yeah, I guess it's the baggage train(s) I mean. Sorry for making it confusing.

They say a picture says more than 1000 words  ;) so below are some screenshots showing exactly what I'm talking about.

First this is what it looks before I have asked for any GSX services

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94801887/GSX%201.jpg

And this is what happens after I asked for catering services and the fuel truck and here you see the baggage "trains"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94801887/GSX%202.jpg

Then after a while they start to drive off, first the first one...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94801887/GSX%203.jpg

...and then also the second one

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94801887/GSX%204.jpg

And here in the last screenshot you see how they both drive away

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94801887/GSX%205.jpg

Hope this clearly shows what I'm asking about, why these "trains" show up at the parking spot when you ask for catering and the fuel truck and then just drive away. To me it's logical when starting a new flight to first ask for fuel and catering and then boarding and to me if looks a bit strange when these "trains" just pop up next to my aircraft whenever I ask for catering and/or the fuel truck.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 03:21:45 pm by virtuali »
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 03:31:04 pm »
They say a picture says more than 1000 words   so below are some screenshots showing exactly what I'm talking about.

Hope this clearly shows what I'm asking about

There wasn't any need to post screenshots (and BTW, please post them according to the Screenshot posting rules, which means either attach the images OR use the URL tag), when my last reply was quite clear that this is exactly what's supposed to be happening:

Yes, they do if you start from Fuel or Catering, but they are NOT the same that are going to bring your bags when you'll eventually call "Boarding". Check better: OTHER Trains will come from far away instead, loaded with bags.

To me it's logical when starting a new flight to first ask for fuel and catering and then boarding and to me if looks a bit strange when these "trains" just pop up next to my aircraft whenever I ask for catering and/or the fuel truck.

Again, they are not your Trains: they are additional trains which were parked there for any reason, and since they are not "your" Trains, they just go away. Your trains, which contains bags that will be loaded on your airplane, will always come from away, either if you start from Boarding, or if you start from Catering. This is what really counts.

Are you concerned by the fact that if you start from Boarding they don't appear at all, but if you starting from Catering/Fuel they go away ? And why this should be a problem ? It's just a bit more variation in the operations, just pretend those are left from another flight, the only things that really matters, is that "your" trains WILL always come from far away, unless you start with Deboarding, and this is how it is.

WebMaximus

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 05:46:02 pm »
Wow Umberto...I'll give this one last try. Must say I'm amazed how something so simple can turn into this very confusing discussion we're having right now and this is not the first time in this particular forum...not sure what I do wrong having such difficulties making myself understood when I post in here...

My only and very simple question (or concern as you chose to call it) is and has been since post 1

Why do these baggage trains always pop up next to me whenever I ask for catering service or the fuel truck (and especially if they like you say are not even intended for me in the first place) and is there any way I can stop that from happening so I only will see the baggage trains that are meant for me and will drive to my aircraft from "far away"?

The reason I asked about this in the first place is I always find it very unrealistic when objects be it clouds, baggage trains as in this example or whatever kind of object all of a sudden just pop up in the simulator "out of the blue".

As for the screenshots sorry for braking any rules, that really was not my intention. The only reason I included them was I thought they might have helped clarify what I meant and to make sure we were talking about the same thing. Honestly I didn't even think of checking any rules since rules regarding screenshots often are quite relaxed as long as the screenshots are hosted elsewhere which is the case here but I'll try to remember what you've said should I ever post any additional screenshots in here.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 07:08:47 pm »
My only and very simple question (or concern as you chose to call it) is and has been since post 1

Now, I guess it's finally clear NOW.

The reason I asked about this in the first place is I always find it very unrealistic when objects be it clouds, baggage trains as in this example or whatever kind of object all of a sudden just pop up in the simulator "out of the blue".

Then you should have simply asked "why vehicles pop-up, in general ?". From your previous message, it seemed you were concerned about the different behavior of the baggage trains not related to your service:

- when you ask for boarding, they DON'T pop-up at the parking, and others comes from far away.

- when you start with Fuel/catering, they DO pop-up, and also others comes from far away.

You shouldn't be worried about pop-up "in general", otherwise you should be worried about the Pushback truck and the Stairs too,
which are also popping out just the same, regardless if you call them or not. The issue is, those vehicles (except Fuel, Catering and Follow Me) are all tied to the parking, so they spawn from there.

This means pop-up it's normal, it's just we made a special case for the Baggage Train that comes from far away when boarding, since THAT would be the one and only case where it would really looking "wrong" to pop-up and load bags after having made only a few meters on your own parking, so they HAVE to come from far away.

All the rest are falling into the general "pop-up" case, which might be a bit annoying to see, but surely less worse than the Train issue.

Of course, the obvious question might be "then why you don't simply have everything coming from far away ?", and the answer is that by not having several vehicles running on the apron at the same time, we minimize the risk of collisions, it's already tricky enough preventing collision between the arriving/returning baggage Trains with the arriving/returning Fuel and Catering (and between each of them), if we had every vehicle running freely on the apron, it would be almost impossible to prevent any collisions, because GSX vehicles do not have the ability to handle traffic deadlocks on their own.

So, we did that special case for baggage Trains only, but I'm not sure we would be able to handle more cases and have everybody coming from somewhere, which is of course the most "realistic" situation, in an ideal world.

As for the screenshots sorry for braking any rules, that really was not my intention. The only reason I included them was I thought they might have helped clarify what I meant and to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

I haven't said you shouldn't have posted them. I've said you should have posted them according to our rules, which ask to use the URL tag instead of the IMG tag, if use an external server. OR attach to the message, if you are uploading here.

Honestly I didn't even think of checking any rules since rules regarding screenshots often are quite relaxed as long as the screenshots are hosted elsewhere

Now I'll explain it to you: those forums rules that you call "relaxed" (so you might lead to believe they are more "friendly" to you) are allowing to post anything as long as it's external, because they are only concerned about THEIR own upload bandwidth. If an image is external, they don't care. Of course, this means they don't care of the bandwidth of their USERS, if the uploaded image is large, and a user is on a slow connection or (even worse) on a pay-by-traffic connection, such 3G wireless, who cares...

Instead, we DO care about our users bandwidth. Which means, we ALLOW to upload things here (consuming *our* bandwidth), because when you upload here, there's an automatic thumbnail generation, which means nobody is FORCED to download a large image unless he really wants (which happens when you use the IMG tag), and if you prefer to use an external server, by using the URL tag you obtain the same result: you don't force anybody to download a potentially large image without knowing it.

That's why we have those rules that might seemed "backwards" and different than everywhere else: it's because we care about wasting our users bandwidth more than we care wasting our own and our server space, which we gladly offer to store image attachments.

WebMaximus

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 07:17:00 pm »
Thanks for your thorough explanation on all points Umberto.
Richard Åsberg