Author Topic: Strange LOD sort of issue  (Read 4846 times)

windshear

Strange LOD sort of issue
« on: May 28, 2013, 12:08:16 am »
Almost all airports I have from you have disappearing buildings from certain angles and especially from a long distance away. Far away I can live with, but having half of the terminals in the new JFK missing only to magically jump onto the screen when looking close and at an angle, is not ok.

What am I doing wrong? Could this be related to a setting in the addon manager or in the shader settings in the FSX.cfg(edited it recently, but I think this doesn't cause the issue).

Thank you
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Strange LOD sort of issue
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:04:17 pm »
That might happen if your zoom setting is too wide, we optimize LOD levels taking 0.70 as a reference, which is universally considered to be the most realistic.

This doesn't mean that you can't use wider settings, just that we usually test and try to be sure everything is working correctly for 0.70. You will usually be able to go as far as 0.50, but we don't test or design to ensure that zoom level at all places.

windshear

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 12:19:39 pm »
but it's also in outside view. And buildings are not there until really close, and I never saw this before!
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 12:51:35 pm »
but it's also in outside view

The zoom level affects every view. What zoom level you use ?

And buildings are not there until really close, and I never saw this before!

Check you don't have mistakenly enabled any "Compatibility" mode for FSX.EXE. And, check every other add-on that starts with FSX as an .EXE file: the Compatibility mode should always be disabled.

windshear

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »
I use 0.85 inside and around 3.0 in external, but I never saw these effects before I updated the addonmanager and installed JFK V2.

I double checked the compatibility mode, but it wasn't

Could there be other reasons for this?
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 03:44:42 pm »
I use 0.85 inside and around 3.0 in external, but I never saw these effects before I updated the addonmanager and installed JFK V2.

It's not possible the Addon Manager or JFK V2 could have caused this, and surely not for other sceneries. LOD level is NOT something the Addon Manager can control (it would be nice if it could), it's entirely controlled by FSX using a strange formula derived by the zoom level and the screen resolution.

As I've said, the only known things that can affect LOD levels, are the zoom level (but yours seems to be ok) and the Compatibility mode.

windshear

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 03:56:44 pm »
ok

I checked the FSX.EXE and the couatl.exe any other I need to check?
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 04:53:58 pm »
I checked the FSX.EXE and the couatl.exe any other I need to check?

As I've said:

every other add-on that starts with FSX as an .EXE file: the Compatibility mode should always be disabled.

You can hace a list of other .exe are being loaded by FSX in the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\EXE.XML file.

And, if you launch FSX using another product (there are FSX "launchers"), that one should have any Compatibility mode turned off and shouldn't be used in any case.