Author Topic: drive letter  (Read 7140 times)

dickneuf

drive letter
« on: March 09, 2013, 08:47:53 am »
Hello i did reinstall GSX and the install manager and at the end i get tthe message you must enter a full path with drive letter I dont understand this.

Hope you can help.

Dick

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: drive letter
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:38:03 pm »
Please indicate the EXACT text of the messsage. That seems to indicate your FSX registry keys are corrupt, missing or pointing in the wrong folder.

CptLuke

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:15:56 pm »
Hi,

I get this message too. I am running Windows 7 64bits. I've tried the update from within FSX and also manually with Couatl_Updater.exe. I also ensured that the path in FSX registry was correct. So I don't know what could cause that. Particularly for the fact that the update doesn't give us the opportunity to enter any path!!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 11:05:39 am »
I get this message too. I am running Windows 7 64bits. I've tried the update from within FSX and also manually with Couatl_Updater.exe. I also ensured that the path in FSX registry was correct. So I don't know what could cause that. Particularly for the fact that the update doesn't give us the opportunity to enter any path!!

The update doesn't ask for any path, because it doesn't need one: since it's being run from the folder it's in, which is already under FSX, so it doesn't need to know the actual path, because every file it needs to check is also under FSX, so it can use all relative paths.

So, either there's some problem with the FSX registry keys, or there's some kind of permissions problem.  Try to run the Couatl_updater as Administrator.

CptLuke

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:33:14 pm »
Hi,

I always run the installs as admin (also the updates if launched manually), plus I always disable the antivirus. Do you think that it would be worth unistalling GSX and/or Cualt and attept a full re-install? If so, how would you recommend I proceed with the unistall?

Thanks

CptLuke

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 12:33:56 am »
Ok, I've uninstalled GSX and reinstalled it. I did not get the "path" message this time, but I got the one attached instead!

Any idea what it refers to?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:28:56 am »
Ok, I've uninstalled GSX and reinstalled it. I did not get the "path" message this time, but I got the one attached instead!

As I've said:

either there's some problem with the FSX registry keys, or there's some kind of permissions problem.  Try to run the Couatl_updater as Administrator.

Such problems can't surely fixed by uninstalling/reinstalling GSX, but by checking the FSX registry keys. There's a free program from Flight1 that fixes the FSX registry.

CptLuke

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 12:07:39 am »
Umberto,

As I've said, I did ensure that the path in the FSX registry is correct, and it is and it was. Anyway, that doesn't explain the "expand before initializing" problem above.

Also, after I installed Dreamteam's KJFK, I can't use the GSX at any other airports... or I forgot how, i.e.: with ctrl+F12!? It says that there's no services in that area no matter what area I chose. Can you help there?

Thanks,

Lucio

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 11:08:41 am »
As I've said, I did ensure that the path in the FSX registry is correct

There are several keys, have you checked them all ?

Anyway, that doesn't explain the "expand before initializing" problem above.

That might be exactly the reason, instead.

Also, after I installed Dreamteam's KJFK, I can't use the GSX at any other airports... or I forgot how, i.e.: with ctrl+F12!? It says that there's no services in that area no matter what area I chose.

That can also be caused by the above problem, since GSX uses those registry keys to look for the FSX Scenery Library files, and that message seems to indicate that no AFCAD has been found.

First, try to download and install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager for FSX after everything else, to be sure you have everything updated.

If that does't fix it, try to enable logging in the GSX Troubleshooting section in the GSX Settings, and post a log file.

CptLuke

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:55:06 pm »
Well Umberto, to be honest I ran FS_Registry_Repair.exe to check the registry. You're right, I wouldn't know where to look for the other keys. I only know about the one in the FSX registry. I'll do what you suggest and see how it turns out.

Thank you,

Lucio

CptLuke

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 10:43:34 pm »
Umberto,

I did as you suggested and installed the Addon Manager. During the installation it gave me the same error as above about app constant. But then I ran the updater and it gave no errors. Now everything seems to work well.

Btw, is the Addon Manager's interface the updater?

Thank you very much... I love your products.

Lucio

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 12:38:09 am »
Btw, is the Addon Manager's interface the updater?

They don't interact at all, the updater it's just a glorified file copier, nothing more. It's just they were probably both *affected* by your problem with the registry keys or paths.

CptLuke

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 03:36:13 am »
Maybe it's me but... does the Addon Manager have a GUI, because I can't find it anywhere!!!?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 10:23:16 am »
Maybe it's me but... does the Addon Manager have a GUI, because I can't find it anywhere!!!?

You surely have the Addon Manager, otherwise no FSDT product will work. It's under the Addons menu.

CptLuke

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 10:45:14 pm »
uhu... I knew that!  :-[