Author Topic: OOM Westbound  (Read 16327 times)

yvesamuel

OOM Westbound
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:04:43 pm »
Hi,
I have a rather big configuration (I7 3970, 32 Go Ram, Win 7 X64 on SSD, FSX SP2 on 600 Go raptor, Nvidia 670) and a problem :

When i fly from CYVR (V 1.1): no problem
When I fly to CYVR from the south : no problem (I made a fly KLAX CYVR)
But, when I fly from East to West, I have an OOM about 180 to 200 NM before landing. This hapened with 2 flights, one yesterday EGLL-CYVR on a LVL 767, one just now on a Wilco A320.
I'll have a try coming from West (PANC-CYVR).
I have Ultimate terrain USA and CANDA, GEX installed. I have no ORBX scenery installed.
I suppose the problem is with CYVR because I fly some times to KSEA (Original FSX scenery) and never have such a problem.

Any idea???

Thank's
Yves

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
Re: OOM Westbound
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:41:32 pm »
 Your issue is not unlike all the others who have OOM's and probably require you to turn your settings down a bit.
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=7842.0

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:01:22 pm »
I have an OOM about 180 to 200 NM before landing

I suppose the problem is with CYVR because I fly some times to KSEA (Original FSX scenery) and never have such a problem.

The problem doesn't have anything to do with CYVR, because outside 10 NM off the airport center, the *entire* scenery is unloaded, and the whole memory taken by it is reclaimed.

yvesamuel

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:37:07 pm »
H,

I tried this evening a flight KORD CYVR and had no problem.
I'll see around Clagary, must be e problem there.

regards
Yves

cjordan

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 08:07:07 am »
I have a fairly high end system, i7 2600 CPU 3.4 GHz with 12 GB ram, and started turning off the Active Sky, FTX scenerys, AI aircraft and no matter what I did I was still getting OOM errors.
So the last couple days I have reformatted reinstalled Windows 7 64, and FSX with Accelleration and FSDT CYVR, and FSDT KLAX. Mesh Resolution at 38M, texture resolution at 1M,
Scenery Complexity at dense Auto gen at Normal, Water effects at 0, and no traffic at all or shadows and clear skys. Flew from CYVR to Calgary in the default 737, turned around and flew back to CYVR and
as I pulled up to the gate I got a OOM warning and then the textures started dropping off.
I have gone into LAX with everything MAXed out with lots of AI traffic, Active sky 2012 with REX HD textures on VATSIM, the frame rates would drop to about 15 at LAX but I have never got an out of memory warning.

Just FSX with a fresh Windows install
What do I cut back on now? go any more and it will be back to FS98.....

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:37:11 am »
Just FSX with a fresh Windows install
What do I cut back on now? go any more and it will be back to FS98.....

You haven't said the only things that matters: are you using CYVR 1.1 and which texture resolution you set it ?

There's no OOM problem at CYVR at all, there never was, it was just a scenery a bit larger than usual AND it was in an area full of 3rd party add-ons. But the 1.1 version gives you the ability to configure it to take less memory and, if set to lower resolution textures (for example 2048 for ground and 1024 for shadows) it will take less RAM than KLAX.

cjordan

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:10:59 pm »
I have now set CYVR to the lowest texture settings and I'll try that, I dont have any 3rd party add-ons installed at this time,
Just FSX with Accelleration, and FSDT CYVR 1.1 and KLAX.

cjordan

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 12:42:59 am »
Well flew that one, upon arrival at CYYC GSX failed, the menus were there but nothing worked, couldn't restart.
restarted FSX flew CYYC to Vancouver, all worked fine. No OOM on arrival.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 11:29:14 am »
Well flew that one, upon arrival at CYYC GSX failed, the menus were there but nothing worked, couldn't restart.

Please clarify what do you mean with "nothing worked", what happened when you pressed the CTRL+F12 key ?

restarted FSX flew CYYC to Vancouver, all worked fine. No OOM on arrival.

That's to be expected, CYVR never causes OOM as such, it's only the combination of add-ons used that does, and by limiting the CYVR memory occupation, you are simply lowering the used total, exactly as if you were lowering your settings, or removing another add-on.

cjordan

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »
Ctrl-F12 did nothing, and none of the menu items worked, they were all there though.   I had to restart FSX then GSX worked again.
I checked for the error log and there was no log there.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 05:20:41 pm »
I checked for the error log and there was no log there.

The error log doesn't appear automatically, you have to enable logging before starting an FSX session, in order for a log file to be created.

cjordan

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 12:50:08 am »
So with everything set very low, with no add ons at all, no OOM at CYVR.
Just FSX and FSDTs CYVR.

What do you suggest now?
Is there something can I use to see the memory usage as I run FSX?

I have had no problems with running Active Sky 2012 with the REX textures, FTXs PNW, Ground Enviroment X, Ultimate Terrain X, Vancouver Plus, and the PMDG MD11
and having the sliders almost maxed out. I can't see it as being a machine problem.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 11:47:15 am »
So with everything set very low, with no add ons at all, no OOM at CYVR. Just FSX and FSDTs CYVR.

Well, the airplane you are flying obviously takes memory. And, even if it's "just" FSX and CYVR, it's possible you are taking lot of memory with your settings. Especially the autogen and the scenery range.

You can use the free ProcessExplorer utility to check how much memory FSX is using.

cjordan

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 05:53:18 am »
Everything was turned right down and no autogen, default 737 was used.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 09:34:35 am »
Sorry, but an OOM under those conditions is basically impossible, under XP with a video card with lots of VRAM it might, but not under Windows 64. The only possible explanation is that you have an FSX *module* loaded as a .DLL in the DLL.XML file, that is leaking memory.

There was some paper from Microsoft that warns that, if a program requires the .NET runtime and it's an in-process .DLL (all FSX modules .DLLs are), the whole .NET runtime will use the same VAS as the host process (FSX.EXE) and the runtime requires a large amount of memory on its own, for garbage collection, even if the module itself is very small.

Just to make it clear, nothing made by us requires or calls .NET.

As I've said, you can use the free ProcessExplorer utility to check how much memory FSX is using.