Author Topic: Update Couatl message FSX  (Read 4233 times)

christiaan

Update Couatl message FSX
« on: September 09, 2012, 03:38:43 pm »
Last week I installed Flightbeam KPHX, when loading the FSX it stated that the KFLL needed to be updated which I did.

Since then I get a message that there is a live up-date for Coualt.

As I have never had this message before I am wary about updating. Does this anything to do with the GSX which came free with KPHX.

I have AES, which at the moment is not for this airport.

Do I have to up-date the Add-On manager again, and if so which one.

If I cancel this Couatl message it does not interfere with the FSX.

In a previous post I mentioned that the KPHX did not show in the FSX Add-On in order to activate the scenery. Got a reply that

installing the Stand Alone FSDT Add-On Manager would do the trick, which it did.

Exactly what does the Couatl do.

Any suggestions.

pcubine

Re: Update Couatl message FSX
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:12:28 pm »
Henry

From time to time you will receive messages in your airplane about updating Addon Manager, Couatl, and Airports. For several months I disregarded these messages by clicking on cancel. I can't remember what happened but whatever it was I spent an afternoon getting FSDT Airports to work correctly again. I even cancelled the notice about the KFLL update. Needless to say, I do the updates now whether I tkink I need them or not.

Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine

NZXT H440 Mid Tower, ASRock Z170 MB, i7-7700K (OC 5.0), Corsair Hydro H1 15i Liquid Cooling, 32GB DDR4 TridentZ SDRAM 3000MHz, 11GB NVIDA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card, 1000 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Update Couatl message FSX
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:59:10 pm »
Last week I installed Flightbeam KPHX, when loading the FSX it stated that the KFLL needed to be updated which I did.

This is one kind of notification, which was there since the beginning of FSDT. Nothing new, simply download and install the latest version of the scenery.

Since then I get a message that there is a live up-date for Couatl
As I have never had this message before I am wary about updating. Does this anything to do with the GSX which came free with KPHX.

GSX is free with ANY FSDT airport too so, all our *current* scenery installers come with a basic version of it, which adds online update notifications also for non-sceneries.

I have AES, which at the moment is not for this airport.

Not relevant.

Do I have to up-date the Add-On manager again, and if so which one.

Just read what the update message says. There are TWO kind of possible messages (this is of course all clearly explained in the GSX manual which, of course, being free to use at all our airports, is suggested to install anyway)

1) The MINOR Udpate, which doesn't require you to do *anything* other than simply accept the update, and this will self-update all the Couatl-related programs like GSX support, docking systems, special scenery features, etc.. The MINOR update can be easily recognized, because the update notification will say that Restarting FSX is not required, which means you accept the udpate, the updater will start automatically and will update all your Couatl programs automatically in a few seconds, without having to restart your FSX session.

2) The MAJOR Update, which requires to Quit FSX, download and install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager. This kind of update can be recognized, because the update notification will say an FSX restart is needed, and will automatically open the Stand-Alone Addon Manager web page for it download link.

If I cancel this Couatl message it does not interfere with the FSX.

Nothing "interferes" with FSX, you will simply not have the latest additions and bug fixes, and depending on what you use, they might be needed or not (if we add a fix for an airplane you don't use, you can safely skip it). Of course, there's the option to READ the update Release Notes, so you will know what the update does.

In a previous post I mentioned that the KPHX did not show in the FSX Add-On in order to activate the scenery. Got a reply that  installing the Stand Alone FSDT Add-On Manager would do the trick, which it did.

There was no need to do that, since KHPX already comes with all files it needs to work, including the Addon Manager of course that, since KHPX is very new, it's exactly the same version you would have downloaded separately.

As I've already replied to you in the other post, what solved this issue was likely the fact that, by reinstalling, you launched FSX a second time and, sometimes a newly installed module doesn't run on the first FSX launch.

Exactly what does the Couatl do.

For our sceneries, basically everything. From objects creations, to interactive features, to docking systems, to special effects. And of course, GSX runs entirely inside of it, which is why its fairly complex logic doesn't impact fps a bit, since it runs on an entirely separate process in an external .EXE. Of course, all our sceneries documentation, starts with a couple of pages explaining what Couatl does. It's simply an interpreter for the Python programming language, which we use for all our "impossible to do with the FSX SDK" things...