Author Topic: GSX or the Coutl module is causing my FSX to crash **solved not FSDT problem**  (Read 4317 times)

mark767

This seems to happen as the beginning when I am setting up a flight, if I hit the menu bar FSX crashes.  If I stop the Coutl process then no problem.  Is this a known issue ?

This seems to happen at any airport although to be specific it happened yesterday at EGLL payware, gate 421, with ConcordeX, and an airport where I have AES.  I had not even started GSX when this occured.

One other problem I noticed is that with ConcordeX, GSX seems to inhibit the FSLabs ground power even though it has not been started.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:33:32 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: I think GSX or the Coutl module is causing my FSX to crash
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 03:52:46 pm »
This seems to happen as the beginning when I am setting up a flight, if I hit the menu bar FSX crashes.  If I stop the Coutl process then no problem.  Is this a known issue ?

The Couatl process doesn't have any ability to crash FSX, since it's an external .EXE so, there's no way it can affect it. However, that FSX is prone to crashing when accessing its menu, it's very well known, look for all forums for the uiautomationcore.dll problem, you will find plenty of reports, well before GSX was released.

This seems to happen at any airport although to be specific it happened yesterday at EGLL payware, gate 421, with ConcordeX, and an airport where I have AES.  I had not even started GSX when this occured.

Fact you haven't started GSX, clearly indicates the problem doesn't have anything to do with it. No GSX code is running, until you start its menu.

One other problem I noticed is that with ConcordeX, GSX seems to inhibit the FSLabs ground power even though it has not been started.

GSX doesn't affect in any way any airplane, since NO airplane interaction is made with writing variables. GSX only READS values from an airplane, so it's not possible it could affect it.

mark767

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:02:37 pm »

thanks for your comments.  I don't get any message showing what the error is, so not sure if it is the uiautomationcore.dll.  I ended up deleting and reinstalling with the AV off and it seemed better. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:05:54 pm »
I don't get any message showing what the error is, so not sure if it is the uiautomationcore.dll

You will never see any error message, to check if it's the uiautomationcore.dll crashing, you should go into the Event Viewer, and see the crash report. But, if the crash is happening, according to your description, when opening the FSX menu, it's very likely is the uiautomationcore.dll bug, which is very common.

I ended up deleting and reinstalling with the AV off and it seemed better. 

That's just a coincidence: an antivirus interfering would have blocked the couatl.exe program from starting, surely not causing it to misbehave and in that case, you wouldn't see anything, no Couatl menu and no GSX at all.

pete_auau

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:24:20 pm »
have  you tried  adding  the highmenfix=1  in your  fsx.cfg   this  also   stops  fsx  crashing   when selecting   full or  min screens   and  as  well   selecting the pull down menus

mark767

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:50:00 am »

I did some research and added the correct version of uiautomationcore.dll to my main FSX folder.  Seems to have fixed the problem, thanks for recognizing it and helping out.