Author Topic: Does anyone know how to activate X-WIND runways?  (Read 9049 times)

axiom13

Does anyone know how to activate X-WIND runways?
« on: May 04, 2008, 02:38:42 pm »
The super-ultra long lines for take-off are getting very annoying. I flew EDDF-KORD last night and landed on 28. The line streched from M7 to M5 and on 27L from H3 to P. We need X-wind runways, I can't imagine waiting in that kind of line for take-off. Does anyone know how to activate X-wind runways?

axiom

axiom13

Re: Does anyone know how to activate X-WIND runways?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 05:21:14 am »
Ho pagato 40 dollari per questo, perche nessuno mi aiuto o rispondere? Si, io parlo italiano...  ;D

axiom

axiom13

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 05:42:02 am »
va bene, scrivero nel italiano. la fila per decollare e noiosa, ci sono due piste che sono aperti, e le file stanno diventando molto lunghe. ho volato da EDDF a KORD e quando sono arrivato ho visto due file. una era accanto 28 e l'altra era accanto 27L. la accanto 28 era da M7 a M5. Dobbiamo piu piste aperte usando la tecnica "crosswind", allora piu aerei possono decollare sul molti piste.

(come ho scritto quello? sono solo ancora un studente)

axiom

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 01:12:49 pm »
Your italian is very good but, the forum language is english, so anyone can read what you are saying. You are welcome to write to us using PM or email in italian, if you like to do so.

To reply to your question:

First, as you should know, FS9 and FSX do not support operation on multiple runways. The way they are implemented in AFCAD is really a hack, that has side effects, and we would prefer not offering such AFCAD by default. You shouldn't complain about this scenery, because the issue is the same for any other scenery. Of course, simpler airports with less runways or even just one runway, will not show this problem, but the real issue is the underlying AI engine, that we can't obviously fix, without resorting to the aforementioned hacks.

However, you will find several discussions about AFCAD made by Harpsi, that use all kind of methods to use multiple runways, depending on wind, etc. If you follow the discussion ( is pinned on the O'Hare for FS9 ), you'll realize what the issues are and what solutions are available.

Unfortunately, Harpsi stuff is for FS9 only. Since Harpsi is just a user like you, sharing his own creations, and it's not part of FSDreamTeam, we can't force him offering the same for FSX. Who knows, in time, he'll switch to FSX as well.

Why don't you simply try editing the AFCAD yourself, like Harpsi does, for FSX ? As I've said, FSX do not support x-wind runways, that's why we don't think we are supposed to offer it as standard.

Another solution to the long takeoff cues is very simple: lower your AI density. FPS will benefit as well.

axiom13

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 08:39:46 pm »
if crosswind can't be reproduced, why doesn't AI traffic at least use both 28 and 27L or other parralel runways? By the looks of it, planes only line up to one runway. Seriously there were like 2 UAL planes waiting in line by 27L, and I didn't count the crazy line at 28. Whoever is your AFCAD master should fix this because this is a high quality product, and it doesn't matter that crosswind doesn't come standard with FSX, if its capable of being done it should be done on such high quality product. I tried editing the AFCAD myself but Im an amatuer so its hard for me to reproduce crosswind, and my traffic is at 30%, I only have true to life American and United traffic.

axiom

[attachment deleted by admin]

axiom13

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 10:02:38 pm »
i mended the problem by closing 28 for takeoff. Since so little planes land on 27L all the planes taking off won't be held back to long. Hope this problem can be fixed professionally because having to close some runways for landing or takeoff diminishes realism.

axiom

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 11:52:26 pm »
That's the only way to fix it, giving how FS AI engine works, something that we can't obviously control or fix. As you said yourself, this is still a compromise. Please, try to follow the long thread about AFCAD (in the FS9 section, but is relevant to FSX as well), so you might have a better idea of the current FS limitations.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:00:47 am by virtuali »

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 03:35:44 am »
i mended the problem by closing 28 for takeoff. Since so little planes land on 27L all the planes taking off won't be held back to long. Hope this problem can be fixed professionally because having to close some runways for landing or takeoff diminishes realism.

axiom

Like virtuali said, you should follow that discussion as well. I am always searching and questioning all the afcad experts, because I even know very less about afcad files. :)

About this issue, it is maybe because of this: 27 L is much shorter than 28 and 28 is also closest to thr major part of the aprons. If you land on 27 you need to travel arround all the airport to get into the parking position.

harpsi

axiom13

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 04:32:24 am »
I activated crosswind so now all the ruways are open for take-off and landing and open depeneding on wind direction, so if the wind is coming from the east, all the western facing runways are open, 10 9R 4L 4R 14L 14R, thats six runways open at one time! ATC sorts them to all the runways, traffci flows smoothly. I closed down 28 earlier for landing myself so that planes can takeoff on one runway instead of waiting for another to land, the line got big pretty fast, without the landing aircraft causing delay they took of one by one on 28 and landed one by one on 27L, but ever since crosswind the airport is alive on all corners, just like in reality. You made an arguemnet in a diffrent post about how we have compromise reality because its only a game and that crosswind runways were not possible, I just proved that arguement false.

axiom

Razgriz

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 04:55:51 am »
I activated crosswind so now all the ruways are open for take-off and landing and open depeneding on wind direction, so if the wind is coming from the east, all the western facing runways are open, 10 9R 4L 4R 14L 14R, thats six runways open at one time! ATC sorts them to all the runways, traffci flows smoothly. I closed down 28 earlier for landing myself so that planes can takeoff on one runway instead of waiting for another to land, the line got big pretty fast, without the landing aircraft causing delay they took of one by one on 28 and landed one by one on 27L, but ever since crosswind the airport is alive on all corners, just like in reality. You made an arguemnet in a diffrent post about how we have compromise reality because its only a game and that crosswind runways were not possible, I just proved that arguement false.

axiom

Meh, I would do your AFCAD update but I can't afford to loose the FPS with 100% traffic.  Need to wait until I get an Q6600