Author Topic: Can't launch FSDT Installer  (Read 1113 times)

WebMaximus

Can't launch FSDT Installer
« on: July 05, 2023, 11:44:22 am »
After having zero issues with FSDT Installer, all of a sudden when I try to launch it, I just get the screen seen below for a couple of seconds and then I'm back on my desktop with no FSDT Installer to be seen.

https://i.imgur.com/pDc7ZLO.jpg

Anyone else seen this? Haven't tried to uninstall/install yet, guess that might be the first thing to try if there isn't a more simple way to fix it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 11:47:20 am by virtuali »
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can't launch FSDT Installer
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 11:48:56 am »
Check the Task Manager if you perhaps started two copies of it (maybe because it didn't start immediately, so you started it again), the 2nd copy will surely prevent the first one to start. The process in the Task Manager DETAILS page is called couatl_updater2.exe

WebMaximus

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 11:54:39 am »
Thanks for the quick reply but already checked and no second instance running in the background. I also tried rebooting my PC but still same issue.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 12:32:50 pm »
I'm sorry, but I cannot reproduce the problem. Try all of these:

- Be sure the antivirus is configured to have the whole Addon Manager added to the Antivirus Exclusions.

- Be sure your Windows is fully updated with no updates pending for install.

- Download and install the current Offline installer.

WebMaximus

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 04:53:13 pm »
Using the built-in AV in Windows and haven't touched its setting in a very long time and I always apply any Windows updates when they become available.

Will search for possibly new updates when I get home and will also try to install the offline installer.

Before doing that though, I think I'll try to reinstall the FSDT Installer.

Really odd since everything was working just fine the other day and I haven't changed anything since.

The wonders of computers I suppose 😂
Richard Åsberg

WebMaximus

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 05:13:06 pm »
Just got home and downloaded the latest version of the FSDT Universal Installer and installed it on top of the existing version. This sorted the issue and I noticed how the new version is called 1.1.1 while the version I had installed prior to this was 1.0.90.

If it was the newer version that solved the issue or just the fact I reinstalled the software and by doing so replacing anything missing or corrupt, that of course I wouldn't know.

Anyway, good to have the issue sorted!
Richard Åsberg

WebMaximus

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 12:44:59 pm »
Following up on this one, is there an option somewhere I can tick to make sure FSDT Universal Installer will let me know if there's a new version of it available?

To make sure I'm always using the latest version.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 11:03:26 am »
When you start the FSDT Installer from its icon, it will DOWNLOAD and execute the LATEST version of the installer so, regardless which version of the "FSDT Universal Installer Setup" you used, the latest installer will always be executed, that's why a notification about the latest Universal Installer being available is not required.

That is, of course, under NORMAL circumstances, when other software doesn't get in the way.

Because if you think you solved this by using an updated installer, the only possible explanation for this is your antivirus or firewall must have blocked the automatic download of the latest installer when you started it from the "FSDT Installer" icon, but for some reason has decided to let it pass when installed from the Universal Installer setup.

So, again, the real issue was either the antivirus or the firewall, which prevented you from automatically getting the latest FSDT Installer when you clicked on its icon on the Desktop.

WebMaximus

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 12:19:31 pm »
Well, I'm not using any 3rd party AV nor FW software and I don't have any special rules configured. Same goes for my router.

So if the reason I wasn't on the latest version is what you suggest, I think others would have faced the same thing. Also, having an error message pop up notifying you the update couldn't be completed might be a good idea.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 05:18:02 pm »
Well, I'm not using any 3rd party AV nor FW software and I don't have any special rules configured. Same goes for my router.

I'm following your report and your screenshot, which shows the program stuck when trying to download the latest installer. So yes, I'm fairly certain it was a firewall/antivirus issue.

So if the reason I wasn't on the latest version is what you suggest, I think others would have faced the same thing.

Of course not. Not all antivirus/firewall are configured and act the same for everybody, and not even at the same time (even under the same settings), sometimes the a/v definition are updated even more than once per *day*.

Also, having an error message pop up notifying you the update couldn't be completed might be a good idea.

We explained this so many times: what makes the software knowing the update couldn't be completed ? Only a file check of each and every file could do that.  Which is what the "main" updater surely does.

But that's not what you reported. You reported a problem updating the updater *itself*, which is something done by the 1st stage updater, the one that allows the updater to "update itself" to begin with.

This is a very simple program that doesn't do anything fancy with version checking or anything like that. It JUST tries to download the main updater, and will start it when the download ends. Nothing else.

And it's precisely because it's so simple that, the only thing that can go wrong with it, is "something" blocking the download.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 06:18:34 pm by virtuali »

WebMaximus

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2023, 05:43:44 pm »
Got it and all good now so case closed 👍
Richard Åsberg