Author Topic: YouTube GSX video - computer voice?  (Read 850 times)

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
YouTube GSX video - computer voice?
« on: March 23, 2023, 07:27:30 pm »
I watched the GSX video on YT this afternoon. The voice didn’t sound quite natural and a few words had the emphasis in the wrong place.

I suspect it was computer generated. Why don’t you use a human for these?
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: YouTube GSX video - computer voice?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 09:37:23 am »
Of course it's a computer voice and while a couple of years ago, it would have been unmistakable, this time you only suspected it, and in a couple of years you won't be able to tell anymore.

And has the following advantages:

- It's consistent in quality, volume and with zero issues caused by microphone, room echo, background noise, and requires zero further editing.

- The text can be changed/updated at any time, up to the last minute, without having to record it again, keeping the same consistency.

- If the video needs to be cut/edited, changes in its length can easily go back to the voice as well.

- It's way easier to understand from non-native english speakers (this is something that's it's hard to grasp to those who are).

- It takes way less time to generate.

Since we are developing a product with new features added weekly, at the same time supporting users and working on new features as well, which means any time spent on making videos, is time taken away that. And yes, that includes coordinating with a separate person to do voice overs, with all the issues related to being more difficult to make changes, when required.

And no, FSDT is not an "one man's band" operation: I'm not the main programmer of the code, and I'm not the main modeler of the graphics, but I do a bit of all of these in addition to support and design future additions, so I have an extremely limited amount of time to divert to promotion.

And the point of that video is not to be a product review or an engaging social experience: there are proper YouTubers who will surely to offer a more engaging and human experience but, in this case, we had to convey some very specific technical issues that weren't so easy to grasp and most weren't really fully aware of and it HAD to be released perfectly on time with SU12, so the AI voice is the instrument better suited to this task.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 09:45:11 am »
Thanks for the long explanation. I was 90% sure it was non-human. One thing a computer cannot do is emotion and personality. It would be a shame were all voice required programs to dispense with a human voice.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 10:56:52 am »
Thanks for the long explanation. I was 90% sure it was non-human

That was my point: last year you would have been 100% sure, and in the next few years you won't be able to tell anymore. AI it's where the whole IT world is going now and, as a business, we must either adapt, or we'll disappear trying to fight it.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 12:22:17 pm »
Okay, understood. Pity this wasn’t around for Radar Contact in 2006.  ;)
Cheers,
Ray.