Author Topic: Unistalling P3d v4.5  (Read 3485 times)

Doc_Z

Unistalling P3d v4.5
« on: August 10, 2020, 10:20:52 pm »
I want to completely uninstall P3d v4.5 and keep v5. I have FSDT products installed in both, do I need to remove the files from the v4 add-ons folder or who do I uninstall them from v4.5 only?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Unistalling P3d v4.5
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 10:02:22 pm »
The FSDT add-on.xml won't do anything if the sim itself is not installed. And, we don't install any of our files in the Documents folder under the add-on.xml folder so yes, you can safely remove it ( or not ), it won't make any difference.

The thing GSX checks for, to know if a certain simulator is installed or not, are the sim own registry keys, which are removed when uninstalling the sim with its own uninstaller so, as far as GSX is concerned, the sim is not there anymore.

Doc_Z

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 10:50:26 pm »
In the folder ..Documents\Prepar3Dv4 Add-ons there are folders for The FSDT add-on manager, exclude and all the airports.  Do I just delete all of those?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 10:53:16 pm »
In the folder ..Documents\Prepar3Dv4 Add-ons there are folders for The FSDT add-on manager, exclude and all the airports.  Do I just delete all of those?

There aren't any folders in the Documents folder. There's just ONE add-on.xml, which enables these extra paths for P3D V4 IF P3D V4 is installed. If it's not, the file is not doing anything so, as I've said, you can safely remove it.

You should NOT remove any of the folders referenced by THAT file, because lots of them are used by V5. They are usually installed in the main Addon Manager folder. Don't touch *anything* in there.

Doc_Z

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 11:01:13 pm »
In the folder ..Documents\Prepar3Dv4 Add-ons there are folders for The FSDT add-on manager, exclude and all the airports.  Do I just delete all of those?

There aren't any folders in the Documents folder. There's just ONE add-on.xml, which enables these extra paths for P3D V4 IF P3D V4 is installed. If it's not, the file is not doing anything so, as I've said, you can safely remove it.

You should NOT remove any of the folders referenced by THAT file, because lots of them are used by V5. They are usually installed in the main Addon Manager folder. Don't touch *anything* in there.

What folder are you referring to as THAT folder.   I've attached a screenshot of my Documents\Prepar3dv4 add-ons folder.    The v5 add-ons folder is the same.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:05:15 pm by Doc_Z »

Doc_Z

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 05:34:40 pm »
Could I please get an answer. I think four days is long enough.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 10:40:45 pm »
Could I please get an answer. I think four days is long enough

My replies already gave all the information you needed:

The FSDT add-on.xml won't do anything if the sim itself is not installed. And, we don't install any of our files in the Documents folder under the add-on.xml folder so yes, you can safely remove it ( or not ), it won't make any difference.

The thing GSX checks for, to know if a certain simulator is installed or not, are the sim own registry keys, which are removed when uninstalling the sim with its own uninstaller so, as far as GSX is concerned, the sim is not there anymore

So, from my first answer , you would see can safely remove those folders in Documentes.

]What folder are you referring to as THAT folder.

Please  re-read my reply more carefully, I never said "THAT folder". I said folders *referenced* by THAT file. The subject of the sentence is the add-on.xml file.

just ONE add-on.xml, which enables these extra paths for P3D V4 IF P3D V4 is installed. If it's not, the file is not doing anything so, as I've said, you can safely remove it. You should NOT remove any of the folders referenced by THAT file

When I said you shouldn't remove folders REFERENCED by that file, I mean you should not remove the folders that have been added to the sim by means of the add-on.xml, those *referenced* by various "<Path>" tags inside the add-on.xml file. Those are shared between P3D4 and P3D V5 so, if you removed THOSE folders, you'll have to reinstall everything again in P3D V5.

Doc_Z

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 04:47:51 pm »
IN your first reply you  said "nothing is installed in the Documents folder under the add-oon folder.  As you can see from the screenshot, there are folders in the add-on folder. My original question is whether they should be removed.  You said then they could be removed, now you are saying they contain files needed by v5.  Please give me a yes or no answer, CAN THOSE FOLDERS BE REMOVED?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 11:06:23 am »
IN your first reply you  said "nothing is installed in the Documents folder under the add-on folder.  As you can see from the screenshot, there are folders in the add-on folder.

With "nothing", meaning no *actual* files related to the product. The only thing that is installed is the add-on.xml file but, since the simulator that is going to be used is not there anymore, it won't make any difference if you remove it or not.

Please give me a yes or no answer, CAN THOSE FOLDERS BE REMOVED?

As I've said already, my replies already gave all the information you needed, especially this one, which I already quoted in my previous post, so I'll quote it again:

Wasn't the "yes, you can safely remove it" sentence not clear enough ?

I tried to gave you extra information, so you could UNDERSTAND how the thing work so, while I said you CAN ( so it's a YES ) remove those folders safely, since some files are also shared by different simulators, what you cannot do, is to remove files of Paths REFERENCED by the add-on.xml itself

I'll try again, making it as clear as I can:

- You CAN remove this folder:

Documents\Prepar3D 4 Addons

And again, it won't make ANY difference and, since ( as I've said ) we don't install the *actual* product files *there* you are not risking removing anything you need in P3D5, but you won't save much space anyway, since we only install a tiny add-on.xml file, which is only read and used by P3D 4

- You CANNOT remove folders referenced by the add-on.xml file you removed. "Referenced" means ( as I've also said ) contained in the <Path> commands of the add-on.xml file itself. Maybe you wanted to be extra thorough and checked the file, noticed those Paths and assumed that, if you were going to remove the add-on.xml that calls them, you should remove those paths too. Well, you can't, at least most of them, since they are shared by P3D4 and P3D5. For example, the add-on.xml in the P3D 4 Documents folder refers to this path for Sounds:

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Sound</Path

But you cannot remove THIS path, otherwise you won't have any sounds in P3D5 too.

I hope you finally understood what I meant with "Referenced by"...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:08:26 am by virtuali »