Author Topic: GSX sound is not working  (Read 2929 times)

DanGreenough

GSX sound is not working
« on: September 11, 2019, 08:30:21 am »
I have had GSX for a number of years. It has worked fine. I recently upgraded my computer and went from a NVIDIA 750 to a NVIDA 1060. I upgraded from 4 core to 8 core, and changed from a standard drive to a SSD. I have 16 gigs of ram.

I re-installed most of what I used to have and GSX seems to work fine but the sound has quit. I have sound of everything else like FSX sounds and computer sounds. I have looked to the Forum but see that others have had problems but no one seemed to have a solid solution.

Any help would be welcomed. Thanks again, Dan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX sound is not working
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 01:42:13 pm »
Check the correct audio device is selected in the GSX sound settings.

If it is, see if sound support improves by installing the manufacturer audio drivers. If you already have, try the opposite, and uninstall the manufacturer audio drivers and use the default ones from Windows. Sometimes the Windows drivers are best, sometimes they are not. It depends on their level of support for the standard OpenAL API, used by GSX for sound.

RudiJG1

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 01:59:22 pm »
I'm having this issue as well and am using a USB Corsair headset for P3D v4.5 audio. I've tried Umberto's suggestion but have not been able to revive GSX2 sound as yet.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 09:36:26 am »
I'm having this issue as well and am using a USB Corsair headset for P3D v4.5 audio. I've tried Umberto's suggestion but have not been able to revive GSX2 sound as yet.

Do you see that device listed in the GSX audio settings ? Is it listed as working ?

DanGreenough

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 07:16:29 pm »
I have been trying to re-install GSX. It only installs a sample or trial from GSX website. You said, never to use the retailer backup
CD because they are outdated. I tried to use my key from my receipt from FS PILOTSHOP and it said it was contacting the registration and it would go to 100% on a loader screen and it just kept repeating. I tried to load it last night, so I just left the computer on and when I checked it 8 hours later, it said it was trying to register it.. I closed out of FSX and tried to download it from the website again.

First I deleted the file and the FSDT app from my computer and then I went to the website to download it and it said that it couldn't download it because some other program was using it. I don't know what other program was using it but it doesn't seem to want to let me re-install GSX.

The key code I received from FS PILOTSHOP has FSDTGSX-.....SERIES OF FOUR LETTERS AND NUMBERS-

WHEN I TRIED TO USE THE ENTIRE FSDTGSX PLUS THE REST OF THE SERIAL NUMBER - IT JUST SITS THERE AND DOES NOTHING. I TRIED IT WITHOUT THE FSDTGSX AND IT APPEARED LIKE IT WAS GOING TO REGISTER IT BUT WOULDN'T.

I MUST HAVE ATTEMPTED THIS DOWNLOAD AT LEAST 30 OR 40 TIMES BY NOW.  >:( >:(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 10:06:24 am »
I have been trying to re-install GSX. It only installs a sample or trial from GSX website. You said, never to use the retailer backup CD because they are outdated.

Even your CD installs a Trial version, just an outdated one.

That's why is totally useless, it's just an old copy of what *used* to be the Trial on our site, probably years ago. We keep saying to retailers NOT to offer CD "backups" for our products, because it doesn't make any sense and only confuse users, and their reply is "users like CDs", so it's a lost battle for us...

I tried to use my key from my receipt from FS PILOTSHOP and it said it was contacting the registration and it would go to 100% on a loader screen and it just kept repeating.  I tried to load it last night, so I just left the computer on and when I checked it 8 hours later, it said it was trying to register it..

The online activation should take 4-5 seconds, not more. This seems to be a problem cause by your antivirus or a firewall, blocking the whole program or the access to the activation server. Disable every firewall, and configure the antivirus to exclude the Addon Manager folder from scanning.

First I deleted the file and the FSDT app from my computer and then I went to the website to download it and it said that it couldn't download it because some other program was using it. I don't know what other program was using it but it doesn't seem to want to let me re-install GSX.

This because you either started the installer when the simulator was still running, or because the same antivirus that blocked the activation, has also locked the file from closing. A Windows restart would surely fix this.

Please be sure you can complete the installation of the CURRENT version, otherwise nothing will work.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 10:18:33 am »
The crazy part is a lot of new computers nowadays don't even come with CD drives anymore, at least built in, anyway. Mine only did because I specifically asked for it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:21:05 am by virtuali »
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 11:29:12 am »
The crazy part is a lot of new computers nowadays don't even come with CD drives anymore, at least built in, anyway. Mine only did because I specifically asked for it.

Then don't come with floppies as well. I don't feel their absence...

CD/DVD disks can be very unreliable, especially after several years, when the disk rot problem will start to appear. CD/DVD readers will start to fail because in the last years they became so cheap, so the more "modern" they are, the less reliable their mechanic is.

But that's besides the point.

Since some (old) software comes only in CD or DVD, it might be useful keep at least one reader available, but in case of a software that comes as a download ONLY, with a free Trial that can always be freely downloaded with no limitations, no registration and it's always updated, which is the case for all our products, a CD "backup" is just a nuisance, a waste of time, a waste of money ( cd + shipping ) and a source of confusion.

The only thing that should be kept safe, is the purchase receipt with the Serial Number, nothing else.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 12:45:56 pm »
Right, my point being that their reasoning that people like CDs is a little ridiculous when nowadays, you don't even have anything to put them in as standard. You mention floppy disks, the only thing I have to say is that back in 2007, when I had got my first laptop, my dad decided to give me a bunch of old floppy disks that he had sitting around. Slight problem. The floppy disks were completely useless since there was nowhere for me to stick the bloody things in my laptop. Not that I would have been missing much anyhow since you were very limited in how much you could put on a floppy disk anyway. The only reason I would want a CD drive is for two reasons. First, some old software that I still use only comes on the CD. Second, I still drive a car that is old enough that if I want to listen to something other than the AM/FM radio, I have either a cassette player or a CD player. I don't have USB capability to be able to plug my MP3 player in. If it weren't for that, I'd probably do away with it altogether.
Captain Kevin

RudiJG1

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 07:30:18 pm »

Do you see that device listed in the GSX audio settings ? Is it listed as working ?

I do now, thanks. When I checked before, I had no options and no sound. But apparently, either a FSDT update or an unrelated setting on my machine has changed this...now sound is working!

thanks.