Author Topic: error when installing!  (Read 5178 times)

divemaster

error when installing!
« on: September 20, 2009, 05:27:55 am »
Hey FSDT.

Ok this is odd but i had never had a problem before my laptop got a virus and had to have a system restore....

So afterwards i am having this problem that the buildings are not appearing and it seems that my Mcafee is thinking couatl is a virus or a bad file! I restore it but cant find a way to say its a safe file so it doesnt send it into quarantine!

However i decided to re-install actually just to make things easier but now when i re install i get this error message!
http://img9.imageshack.us/i/fsdterror.jpg

Any help please! i need your scenery as my FSX in not complete without FSDT!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:48:53 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: error when installing!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:55:21 am »
That's not an installer error, it's caused by McAfee, since it mistakenly identified the Couatl.exe as a virus, remove it from the temporary folder the installer creates,  so the installer can't find it to copy in the FSX folder.

it seems that my Mcafee is thinking couatl is a virus or a bad file! I restore it but cant find a way to say its a safe file so it doesnt send it into quarantine!

That's a very bad design choice by McAfee that, in their standard Home version of the Antivirus, have removed ( previous versions had it ) the ability for the user to exclude a file from scanning. Only their Enterprise version has this feature, which is a shame, considering even the even free AVG has it.

I don't see any other option for you, than to install and use FSX with McAfee turned off entirely, or switch to a better product. The free AVG might be a good choice at this time.

And not, this is not a problem that affects only our products, see this post at Flight1's forum:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24061

For the same reasons, they also suggest not using an antivirus that doesn't allow you to exclude files from scanning, and suggest a different product.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 03:17:22 pm by virtuali »

divemaster

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:54:40 pm »
hey thanks a lot!

I think a report to Mcafee will be done today and i will be unsubscribing from them if they cant fix this issue!

I will be heading over to Kapersky!

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 01:43:53 am »
Divemaster,

You may want to consider trying NOD32 if you discontinue your Mcafee service. It uses less resources and does as good a job if not better than Mcafee or Symantic, but really the best part is its small footprint in system resources.

Silverbird

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 07:27:02 pm »
Divemaster,

You may want to consider trying NOD32 if you discontinue your Mcafee service. It uses less resources and does as good a job if not better than Mcafee or Symantic, but really the best part is its small footprint in system resources.

I agree with you cmpbllsjc the nod32 is a good choice divmaster you can try a 30 day trial for the nod32 or like virtuali mentioned avg is also good I stay away from  Mcafee I do not like them at all.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR