Author Topic: Message for JamesChams on FSX  (Read 8600 times)

jcupido

Message for JamesChams on FSX
« on: August 24, 2009, 07:01:28 pm »
Actually it's not totally for James but I noticed that James posted quite a significant defense for FSX vs FS9.  I tried to switch 8 months ago but realized by specs ould not handle it.  I would like to reconsider and I was wondering what, if any, existing hardware specs would run FSX (with all the add-ons) at at least 20 fps in the most intense locations (over JFK for instance).

James..I'm really interested in knowing if you achieve those FPS with all those nice add-ons you have for FSX (FEX, GEX, FSDT airports, etc).  What are your specs and what is top of the line right now?  I think you also mentioned there would be some new hardware out this fall.  Wondering if it's worth the wait?

Of course the question above applies to anyone who can help, I'm just picking on James because of his "sell me FSX" post not too long ago!  Hey..it got me interested!   :)

newmanix

• Beta tester
Re: Message for JamesChams on FSX
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:14:27 pm »
Yeah James!

How about a video???? You gonna post a video for us????  ;D It's time to see the proof in the pudding James!

wideloadwhitford

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:02:59 pm »
With my specs I can achieve a whopping 12 FPS!! ahhh FS9 Forever.
Windows 10 64bit
16GB DDR3
512SSD
nVidia 970GTX 4GB

jcupido

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 02:15:09 am »
When it comes to flight simming, very little is out of my price range.  I just want to know what will run FSX at 20 to 40 FPS EVERYWHERE!  Give me some specs as I do not have time to buy something and then test and return.  High end quad processor/high end graphics card are what I am really interested in and can they achieve the 20 to 40 I speak of.

JamesChams

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 02:31:44 am »
I suggest that you talk to a dealer that can do a custom system for you; Mr. Nick Churchill had someone do that for him.  I deal with extremely high-end Server-based workstations etc.  After Sept. I'll post what I have for you if you want.

But, here are a few systems that will do nicely at a decent price range, if you want one NOW!  However, with FS there is no 100% guarantees that it will continue to do that with newer products.

Eg. of customized (Packaged) Systems: (These are around $1,000-> $2,500 USD)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4621289&Sku=V133-79900
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3098128&CatId=0
http://www.visionman.com/widowpc-wgmi3x5810-gaming-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-920-asus-p6t-6gb-ddr3-1tb-dvdrw-2x-nvidia-p-8492.html

Good Luck!  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 06:08:59 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 08:17:02 am »
Actually it's not totally for James but I noticed that James posted quite a significant defense for FSX vs FS9.  I tried to switch 8 months ago but realized by specs ould not handle it.  I would like to reconsider and I was wondering what, if any, existing hardware specs would run FSX (with all the add-ons) at at least 20 fps in the most intense locations (over JFK for instance).

James..I'm really interested in knowing if you achieve those FPS with all those nice add-ons you have for FSX (FEX, GEX, FSDT airports, etc).  What are your specs and what is top of the line right now?  I think you also mentioned there would be some new hardware out this fall.  Wondering if it's worth the wait?

Of course the question above applies to anyone who can help, I'm just picking on James because of his "sell me FSX" post not too long ago!  Hey..it got me interested!   :)

jcupido,

To get back on your subject, I built a new system last April '08 just for FSX for about $1800. The price of course doesn't include a monitor, keyboard and mouse because I am using the same ones from my last system.

Anyway, the system I built constits of this:

* WinXP Home SP3
* INTEL Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz oc'd @ 3.85 GHz
* ASUS Maximus Formula Intel X38
* CORSAIR, 2GB (2 x 1GB) XMS2 PC2-8500 DDR2 oc'd @ 1080 MHz
* XigmaTek HDT-S1283
* EVGA GeForce™ 8800 GTS 512MB
* WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB * WESTERN DIGITAL 250GB
* ANTECH Nine Hundred Case
* PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

After the build was done I used the FS-GS service to do the OS, drivers and FSX setup. You could also use NickN's guide for free.

Anyway, I am using all the main addons like UT2, UTX, GEX, ASA, plus other addon aircraft, airports, and photosceneries. All in all I get great performance with most setting at or near max. The only setting I don't use on a consistant basis are bloom and lens flare. Flying into major hubs in the LDS767 with 80% to 100% AI and with cloudy weather I usually don't drop below 18 fps  but maintain about 25 fps and in other less dense areas I can get anywhere from 30 FPS to over 100 FPS.

The one thing that I do however is use unlimited frames in dense areas and locked frames at 28 when in less dense areas. When I start to get the FPS bouncing from 30 to 90 FPS it starts to get a little choppy. Locking the frames in these situations removes the stutters and makes it smooth.

I think that you can build a great system for less than $2500 and get really good performance. I think that to get the most from FSX you will need to get a CPU that has at least 3.0 ghz per core and a video card that is no less than 512 mb. My CPU was 3.0 ghz stock and I overclocked it to 3.85 ghz. I get slightly better performance than I did at 3.0, but it leaves me a little more overhead when I am in dense areas with heavy weather and lot of AI in the area.

If I were you I would stay away from factory built systems like Dell, HP, etc. By either building one or having one built you can buy much better components and taylor the system to your needs for usually cheaper than buying a prebuilt. In my case I bought all the components and had the system built at a shop for about $100 and it only took them about 4 hours to do.

I wouldn't be discourged by a lot of posts you may read about performance in FSX being horrible. Even with my slightly older system I can run FSX pretty much all out and get great results. In fact, it looks and performs so well that I don't even use FS9 anymore.

Just make sure to buy good parts, have the operating system, drivers, FSX set up correctly, or pay someone like FS-GS to do it for you and you will be happy for no more than a couple thousand bucks.

Good luck.

JamesChams

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 12:12:07 pm »
Mr. cmpbllsjc,

Thank you for bringing your personal experience, regarding purchasing a system, for the benefit of Mr. jcupido; that is exactly what he seems to be seeking advise on and, some hardware tips as well.

I wish more forum users could behave mature like you and keep things friendly and helpful.

:)
=======================

Virtuali,

Thank you for cleaning up this thread from YAPD's.
Ciao!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 06:16:34 pm by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 05:15:54 pm »
Ms. cmpbllsjc,

Thank you for bringing your personal experience, regarding purchasing a system, for the benefit of Mr. jcupido; that is exactly what he seems to be seeking advise on and, some hardware tips as well.

I wish more forum users could behave mature like you and keep things friendly and helpful.

:)
=======================

Virtuali,

Thank you for cleaning up this thread from YAPD's.
Ciao!  ;)

Sorry James. It's Mr. That's the significant other in the avatar. Kind of misleading.

sundance70

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 05:49:00 pm »
jcupido,

I agree with James and cmpbllsjc.  My personal experience with just FSX has brought me well over $7000.00 which includes the system and all the addons I currently own.  If I was to do it all over again, I would do exactly what cmpbllsjc mentioned in his post.  I bought from Alienware a system that would likely cost less if I had it built by a computer expert...

My system runs FSX just great, I do not get high FPS at places like KJFK but I also have alot in that area like Aerosoft Manhattan X and lots of AI.  My sliders are almost all to the right and in areas less dense I get great FPS.  Makes me wish I could have waited until now to buy a system as I am sure I could get something even more powerful than what I have for the same cost or less.

Anyway, good luck with FSX, there are great addons to come and the simming is getting more fun each day.  My specs in my signature..

Regards,

David

Asus P8P67 deluxe Motherboard
Intel i7 2600K 3.4GHZ OC @ 4.8GHZ
2 x 4GB GSkill DDR3 1600MHZ Ripjaws
EVGA GTX 570 SC - Rev 296.10
ECO ALC Cool IT system
2 x 1TB Seagate HD drives 32Mo cache
Thermalake ToughPwr 1.2KW ATX PSU
22"+18.5" SAMSUNG
Windows 7 64 Ultimate
Track IR 5
Saitek X-65F

JamesChams

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 06:16:11 pm »
Sorry James. It's Mr. That's the significant other in the avatar. Kind of misleading.
My apologies; but easily fixed.  :)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 11:17:59 pm »
At least you didn't tell me you want to suck her toes like this guy on Avsim did.  :o

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=258173

jcupido

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 12:23:31 am »
Just to let everyone know, I have built my own system for FS9 back in 06 and it runs like a charm.  Back then the AMD was the CPU to use.  Seems like now we are back to Intel.  I have since upgraded to the pentium dual core at about 2.7 on the clock speed!  I got the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB Graphics card and this does not do wonders for FSX but it runs FS9 like a charm (except the distant blurries that I get)

Ms cmpbllsjc,
     I thank you for the advice.   The INTEL Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz oc'd @ 3.85 GHz is obvioulsy a step above mine and so I suspect that if I upgrade my CPU to the latest I may be able to achieve the FPS you get.  Your graphics card is about where I'm at and so hopefully I will not need to upgrade mine.  I will start with a CPU upgrade and see if my motherboard will take it.  Again I wonder if I am up against the same problem we had with FS9 where it was not worth a dual core processor.  FSX takes advantage of it but was wondering if Quad 4 or better was getting into the "make no difference" area!
    BTW..is that really your picture.  I have been wondering if you were a guy posting a pretty girl's picture.  I usually see people posting old guys when I know they are young or celebs and so I'm not sure what's real anymore.  If you are a female then I am impressed with your interest in this hobby.  Most people in this hobby are guys and most ladies laugh when I tell them about it.  Luckily I have the "ole charm and good looks' to back up my vast computer nerdiness.  :)

Mr JamesChams,
      Your input was well received.  I may just take your advice and wait a few more months to see if the processor I have in mind goes down in price.  Your occasional spurts with more then a few bloggers is admittingly entertaining on occasions but sometimes there are those few who carry it too far.  I say ignore those people (unless you enjoy the fight)!  I found that more then a few are 13-15 year-olds who are being just that.  The roudy older ones become more pathetic exponentially as their age increases past 15!  Judging by your photo, I guess you are a real pilot.  Perhaps jealousy breaks the calm.  I know I am jealous!  Thanks for the advice and the links.

Thanks to everyone else who answered.  Remember to support FSDT for 3 reason: Great scenery, great support, and ayy..their Italian!   

jcupido

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 12:25:16 am »
cmpbllsjc,
    Crap I just read one of your posts that say you are a guy.  Sorry about the Ms!  A bit misleading.  Thanks for the the advice the same though!
One last question.  Where do you find FS-GS.  I didn't know this existed.  There are actually people you can pay to make sure your system is optomized for FS?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:33:39 am by jcupido »

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 02:36:35 am »
jcupido,

Yes FS-GS is a pay service. After spending a lot of time a few years back try to tweak FS9, my operating system and drivers, I thought that this time I would pay the small few and have an expert who does this day in and day out take care of the whole thing for me. It's about a 5 hour process that you do via voice messanger, so you need a cheap headset with a mic so you can talk and follow instructions. The website is FS-GS.com. They handle everything from setting up the operating system, anti-virus, video card drivers and FSX. It was well worth the small fee because I was done in one day in April '08 and haven't needed to do a thing since. I would rather spend my time flying than tweaking. The contact there is Michael and his msn messanger is ramsa329@msn.com. You can contact him first to see what hardware you'll need and go thru the entire process. There is no fee if you are not satisfied. There is also a tweak guide on Simforums.com by NickN. You could use it also for free, but for me it was worth having someone else do it for me, plus since you are live you can ask questions and stuff like that.