Author Topic: GSX is Not Using the Correct AFCAD bgl File  (Read 4841 times)

kmanning

GSX is Not Using the Correct AFCAD bgl File
« on: June 25, 2017, 08:27:59 am »
For some reason, the GSX is not using the correct Boston Logan blg file. After pulling up at gate B30 and shut down the engines, I used the GSX as the ground service and I noticed that in the list of gates that came up, it did not show B30, and I could not figure out why it would not when I'm parked at B30. I selected the "Customize Parking Position" from the GSX menu and the list of all the gates were shown, but there was no B30 in the list. But I knew I was parked at B30. At the top where it says "AFCAD," I noticed that it was not using the KBOS AFCAD that I had installed in the Addon Scenery Folder several months ago. It was using the default KBOS in FSX located at C:\FSX\Scenery\0302\scenery\APX29160.bgl. That is why B30 was not in the list. Why is it not using the AFCAD in the Addon Scenery Folder? The correct bgl should be KBOS_RS.bgl. What do I need to do so the GSX uses the correct, or the latest AFCAD file? I always thought GSX automatically uses the latest bgl airport file that's installed in FSX. So, what's the problem here?  

Ken.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:16:23 am by kmanning »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX is Not Using the Correct AFCAD bgl File
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 11:35:00 am »
The correct bgl should be KBOS_RS.bgl. What do I need to do so the GSX uses the correct, or the latest AFCAD file? I always thought GSX automatically uses the latest bgl airport file that's installed in FSX. So, what's the problem here?  

Is that a complete AFCAD, or just an enhancement AFCAD ? GSX cannot use multiple AFCADs together so, if you add an AFCAD that only add things to a default AFCAD, but it's not self-contained (the whole airport is defined there) and still requires the default AFCAD to be active, GSX won't use both, so it will only use the default one.

kmanning

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 12:33:38 am »

Is that a complete AFCAD, or just an enhancement AFCAD ? GSX cannot use multiple AFCADs together so, if you add an AFCAD that only add things to a default AFCAD, but it's not self-contained (the whole airport is defined there) and still requires the default AFCAD to be active, GSX won't use both, so it will only use the default one.

Maybe AFCAD is not the correct word to use here. All I do know is that GSX is not using the bgl file I have in the Addon Scenery\scenery folder named KBOS_RS_bgl. It's a file I downloaded from AVSIM and the file name is fsx_kbos_rs_cs.zip. I also have another bgl file in the Addon Scenery\scenery folder, which is KMCO, and GSX refers to that one in my Addon Scenery\scenery folder and not the default bgl in FSX. These files are installed in the FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery folder. It seems strange why it works for the KMCO and not the KBOS.

How do I determine if it's the complete AFCAD, or if it's an AFCAD file?

Ken.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:36:13 am by kmanning »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 01:55:17 pm »
Maybe AFCAD is not the correct word to use here.

It's the common term for "a .BGL that contains at least an airport", which would be the correct definition.

I also have another bgl file in the Addon Scenery\scenery folder, which is KMCO, and GSX refers to that one in my Addon Scenery\scenery folder and not the default bgl in FSX. These files are installed in the FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery folder. It seems strange why it works for the KMCO and not the KBOS.

As I've said, it's possible one might be a complete airport that would work stand-alone, while the other might be just additions that would rely on the default AFCAD to work.

How do I determine if it's the complete AFCAD, or if it's an AFCAD file?

It must have an airport definition and at least one parking and a taxiway connected to it.

kmanning

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 07:57:42 pm »

As I've said, it's possible one might be a complete airport that would work stand-alone, while the other might be just additions that would rely on the default AFCAD to work.

It must have an airport definition and at least one parking and a taxiway connected to it.

Well, both of these airport sceneries, KMCO and KBOS, do open an airport file in Airport Design Editor. So, would that mean it's a complete AFCAD?

I forget, but is the "airport definition." the ICAO letters?

Ken.

wsmeier

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 05:20:41 am »
I've observed the same: some of the afcads I've downloaded from avsim are not recognized as airports by GSX. Recompiling these with ADE generally solves the issue for me.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:07:03 am »
Well, both of these airport sceneries, KMCO and KBOS, do open an airport file in Airport Design Editor. So, would that mean it's a complete AFCAD?

If an .BGL opens in ADE, only means it contains an airport definition, which was one requirement, but doesn't guarantee it's a self-contained airport that doesn't rely on the default scenery to work, which was the 2nd requirement.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 10:09:32 am »
I've observed the same: some of the afcads I've downloaded from avsim are not recognized as airports by GSX. Recompiling these with ADE generally solves the issue for me.

This might be caused if the scenery had redefined an airport without including the "DeleteAirport" command, which is usually the case of non-self contained airports. The Couatl.log (if enabled) reports this.

CTLR2004

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 04:06:31 am »
I know im almost 3 years late on this, but im having the same issue with the same file, any fix?

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 06:02:58 am »
I know im almost 3 years late on this, but im having the same issue with the same file, any fix?
Answer to the following question is:
Captain Kevin

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 07:30:48 pm »
 I think the issue is probably more likely to be that the filesize of the ADE is too large and that GSX is skipping it due to it's size.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,17221.msg121243.html#msg121243