Author Topic: Download Speed during Installation  (Read 5891 times)

hjmx

Download Speed during Installation
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:55:53 am »
is very very slow (25 KB/s).

Why is it necessary to download couatl.exe and others again and again, cannot the installer check if the recent file versions are already installed?

Thx,
Harry

juancho

Re: Download Speed during Installation
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 02:40:13 pm »
I'm getting 10KB/s download.

7+ minutes to install the addon manager.

viperxbr

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 04:23:23 pm »
Ya I posted the same observations in the KMEM topic.  I was trying to diagnose another recent issue, it seems others are having, where Couatl keeps crashing and reinstalling just the addon manager takes longer (~20mins for 16MB) to download than it does to install the Windows OS!!

The question is why does it have to re-download every file anytime you run any of the installers?  Are there not any smarts to the script like most other applications where it can just check and compare versions and/or dates and update only if necessary?

The amount of frustration dealing with this every time begs the question "Is it really worth the high price we pay for it!?"

This has been by far the worst experience dealing with any addon scenery or aircraft for that matter.  You would think a complex aircraft install like PMDG would be a lot more involved installation process than a static piece of scenery.  Not even close in this case.

Sorry for the rant but I've wasted so much time trying to rebuild my FS PC and dealing with this product when I could be just flying.

Todd.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:38:13 pm by viperxbr »
Thanks,
Todd.

Sim PC: Intel i7 7820x OC 4.8GHz, XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 Cooling, Rampage VI APEX MB, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC 11GB, 2xSamsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe, Samsung 840 SSD 1TB, Corsair 1200AX PS.

Grand_Pubah

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 06:20:18 pm »
I'm having the same issue. Even tried shutting down my firewall. I tried updating it in the sim and half way during the install, after waiting 15 minutes, I got an error message saying "some file for FSX couldn't be update, try again later". Funny thing is I'm running P3D. I finally got it to complete outside the sim without any message. I haven't seen any response from anyone regarding a fix either

Keith (Grand_Pubah)
Keith (Grand_Pubah)

PC Specs:
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE
Intel i7 8700k 3.7ghz
G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra Gaming
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Build 18362.295

AUA9085

• My Youtube Profile :)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 03:56:24 am »
Same here.
It is really frustrating... Installing some scenery and takes more than 10min just for downloading :(

robains

• Beta tester
    • Rob Ainscough
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 04:22:07 am »
Just to add my vote, I ran into the same error today 2/4/2017 "...couldn't be updated, try again later".  This was running v3.1.0.1 setup_addonmanagerX.exe stand alone outside of P3D - P3D was NOT running.

I'm guessing there must be some site performance problems which is preventing some downloads from happening.

I'll keep trying and hope it clears up.

Cheers, Rob.

Jetspaul

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 08:00:45 pm »
Yep its a hole host of problems coming with this latest update, along with teh crash my install and download speeds have been problematic, I think alot of people are having this issue, so glad its not just me  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 09:41:33 pm »
There are no problems whatsoever with the update but, of course, if too many people are downloading and the same time, the download speed will obviously suffer, and it's possible you might have mixed up files, which might be the CAUSE of the problems.

But since the installer is brand new, it's not strictly necessary to have it *download* the Addon Manager so, once you got the installer, if you disable the network while installing, it will say there's no connection, and will ask if you want to continue using local files. Allow it, and the installation will proceed offline.

Joe Porter

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:39:56 am »
this is ridiculous, I have a 300MB/s download pipe; who is a host that crawls at 21KB/s . . .

Joe

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 01:27:32 pm »
this is ridiculous, I have a 300MB/s download pipe; who is a host that crawls at 21KB/s . . .

Servers of highly respected developers used to crash (so the download speed would be 0) when they did a big release, we haven't.

We have two servers for redundancy, one in Europe another in the US, they are chosen at random when the installer starts, so you might just try another time if you see the download speed is too slow, one might be faster than the other, depending on the time of the day.

hjmx

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 08:09:56 am »
The question is why does it have to re-download every file anytime you run any of the installers?  Are there not any smarts to the script like most other applications where it can just check and compare versions and/or dates and update only if necessary?

Todd.

I totally agree

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:46:52 am »

They are, for some of the files (the Phython scripts, in the part where you see "The product the file xxxx belongs to, is not installed: no need to download it", it's made like this, every file is checked by comparing the MD5 hash of the server with the file you have, and the file is downloaded only if they are different.

However, the part that downloads the biggest files is not.

The "smart" part it's a code we wrote, while for the "dumb" part, we used a 3rd party downloader library so yes, one thing we can surely improve would be moving everything to the same download routine.

skwaL

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 07:12:43 pm »
Just as a note guys, I find the installer had way faster download speeds when it is being ran "as administrator"

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 10:13:32 am »
Just as a note guys, I find the installer had way faster download speeds when it is being ran "as administrator"

The installer always run as administrator, regardless if you select it explicitly or not. You are probably assuming it made a difference in your case, only because there are two mirrored servers, one in Europe the other in the US, which are selected at random when the installer starts, so you probably just got the other one, which was less crowded (due timezone, for example), of the one you tried earlier.