Author Topic: P3D v3 won't start with GSX installed **SOLVED**  (Read 4827 times)

exodus

P3D v3 won't start with GSX installed **SOLVED**
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:31:03 pm »
Hi -

I just installed GSX into P3D v3 and it is now crashing. Here is some background info:

I had GSX previously installed with v2.5 and everything worked. I uninstalled GSX and v2.5 (via the win10 uninstaller) and then installed P3D v3 (which worked fine) and then last night installed GSX. When I try to start P3D, all I see is the Prepar3d "splash screen"... it hangs for about 15 seconds and then it crashes. (It crashes even before I can get to the P3D "scenario setup" screen). The only way to get P3D working again is to uninstall GSX and perform a P3D "repair". P3D will work, but oddly, I still see the GSX green bar stating that its loading.

I downloaded the GSX again from the website and assume I'm using the latest version--but it still will not work. The only other add-ons are ASN, Orbx Global, FSUIPC, and PMDG cockpits. Could there be some old files that didn't uninstall? Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 01:45:11 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3D v3 won't start with GSX installed (help)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:36:16 pm »
When I try to start P3D, all I see is the Prepar3d "splash screen"... it hangs for about 15 seconds and then it crashes. (It crashes even before I can get to the P3D "scenario setup" screen).

See here, maybe you have the same problem with the firewall:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12619.0.html

The only way to get P3D working again is to uninstall GSX and perform a P3D "repair". P3D will work, but oddly, I still see the GSX green bar stating that its loading.

Sorry but, if you still the green message saying its loading (which is not clear if it's the "Airport cache loaded successfully" or the message saying that is *regenerating* the Airport cache, with a percentage progress ), it means you haven't uninstalled anything, and GSX is working, and not crashing the sim.

Now, depending on your reply about what's GSX is really saying in the green bar, the solution of what I'm not even sure it is a problem (you said here that GSX is "loading" ) are different.

exodus

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:45:48 pm »
Thank you for the reply. I'll check it when I get home in a few minutes. The only anti-virus/firewall I have is the standard stuff in windows 10 (windows defender); but I'll try to work around it.

exodus

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:10:47 am »
I want to report back to the extent this helps others:

First, I started P3D to check if the green "loading bar" of GSX was indeed present (as I wrote the last post away from my computer). It was not. This was my error.

An install produced the same error however, and I uninstalled GSX and ran the P3D "repair". My PMDG cockpits are still installed, but scenery is back to default. Not sure what else is changed.

I then turned off Windows 10 "real time monitoring" (which is basically windows defender/antivirus) and the firewall. I don't have any other 3rd party security programs installed.
I then ran the GSX installer previously used that caused the error.

P3D started up fine and everything with GSX worked.

Thanks- mike

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 01:45:01 am »
I then turned off Windows 10 "real time monitoring" (which is basically windows defender/antivirus) and the firewall.

I then ran the GSX installer previously used that caused the error.

P3D started up fine and everything with GSX worked.

That seems to indicate the problem was either the antivirus or the firewall (fact they are the default ones, doesn't necessarily mean they cannot interfere...). I think the firewall is the most likely issue, because antivirus usually give a warning if they blocked something.

exodus

Re: P3D v3 won't start with GSX installed **SOLVED**
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 02:17:38 am »
I agree. I had no activity in the windows defender/antivirus logs.