Author Topic: KLAX unstable in P3D  (Read 14847 times)

windshear

KLAX unstable in P3D
« on: July 08, 2015, 11:52:00 am »
It seems that I have issues when starting a flight at LAX.
When I am able to start my flight at KLAX, I see a sudden drop in fps, last time the stuttering was so severe I almost couldn't handle the airplane.

Could there be any missing texture issue or so? Usually when looking west the fps are high instead of when I look east towards the terminals, but when the fps drop I never see an increase in fps.

Do you have any ideas as to what is causing this?
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KLAX unstable in P3D
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:30:12 pm »
Could there be any missing texture issue or so?

There are no missing textures, I just checked with the ShowMissingTextureAlert=1 flag in the [scenery] section of the Prepar3d.cfg file, and no alerts came.

Usually when looking west the fps are high instead of when I look east towards the terminals

I checked this, and I cannot see any noticeable fps drop in either direction.

Since you said the problem happens only when looking east, it's very likely your system is overloaded by too high autogen and scenery complexity settings, which become apparent only when looking towards the city in the background, but not towards west, when basically just the airport and the sea is displayed, indicating the problem is not the airport, but the rest of the scenery and your setting too high to handle it.

windshear

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 04:29:58 pm »
No I said it doesn't matter where I look I have a drop of 50% of my FPS.
I can prepare my flight at the gate, looking the same direction, then when I close my doors or so fps drop 50% with out any clear reason.

I have now tried AGAIN after installing your new couatl release, and the problem is still the same. Severely blurry textures and a 50% fps drop plus a crash after take off.

Remember that I have owned this airport for many years, and have flown it happily in FSX, but in P3D I cannot use it for some reason. I wish that you can help me find out why

I have taken these screenshots today

@virtuali
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:22:58 pm by windshear »
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:01:29 am »
I tried it again and, as I've said, I don't see any fps drop, and my frame rate is never going lower than 30 fps.  And nobody else reported it. In fact, KLAX is probably our fastest scenery in P3D.

Of course, I'm testing using a default airplane, which is the only way to test fps of a scenery, without being mislead by an fps drop caused by a memory-hungry 3rd party airplane.

I also tested at night and, while it's normal textures has a bit lower resolution at night, they are not as blurred as in your screenshot. Blurred textures, assuming you have set the texture size to 4096 (which is how KLAX defaults to), might also be caused by memory exhaustion caused by memory-hungry 3rd party airplanes, and this might also be a cause for a crash.

Fact you say it happens after you close the doors, seems to indicate there's something in the airplane you use, since the scenery doesn't have any knowledge of the airplane doors.

In your screenshot, you don't indicate the coordinates so, could you please indicate which parking spot you used ? I only see it's on TBIT, but I tried placing the airplane at each and every gate at TBIT, and the fps always stayed high.

I see a misplaced GSX vehicle there, which might be or not a problem, for example an AFCAD conflict will lower the fps and will cause misplaced vehicles so, please, indicate all the following:

- The airplane used

- The gate in the screenshot with the GSX loader inside the wall

- The AFCAD in use, which can be checked in the GSX parking customization dialog

windshear

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 11:37:53 am »
I get all that, but exactly why you can't replicate the stuff I am seeing, means that something is making klax incompatible with my simulator.

I hope that you can helps me.

I was at gate 120 but this occurs anyplace at airport.

I don't think it's related to pmdg as many people fly it, and I've also flown it without issues in FSX.

To be something is wrong as the textures are extremely blurry and the sim crashes.

I do not have textures set to 4096, but that shouldn't be so catastrophic should it?

I am using your AFCAD, I have used it unedited at first and now edited, same results
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:57:11 pm »
I don't think it's related to pmdg as many people fly it, and I've also flown it without issues in FSX.

People in FSX are *barely* able to run PMDG without turning down a lot of settings, because of its VAS consumption. P3D has LESS available VAS than FSX, especially because it has extra features that are not obviously "free" ( soft shadows, cloud shadows, self-shadowing on everything, etc. )

I do not have textures set to 4096, but that shouldn't be so catastrophic should it?

It explains why your textures are more blurred than normal. KLAX has been *designed* to use 4096 textures. But it does NOT use them to create "ultra" sharpness. It's made like that for *speed*, because it's way faster to draw few 4096 textures compared to many 1024s. So, the overall detail and memory used at KLAX (at 4096) it's about the same than KDFW at 1024, because KLAX used 16x LESS (but bigger) textures.

This means, if you don't use 4096 textures at KLAX, you are lowering its resolution compared as how it's supposed to look like.

Note that, on P3D, which uses DX11, lowering the texture size won't save you much VAS as it did in FSX, because under DX11, the used VRAM is not copied into VAS memory as it is DX9.

I am using your AFCAD, I have used it unedited at first and now edited, same results

I asked to check which AFCAD is used by GSX, to be sure you don't have any AFCAD conflicts, because I saw the misplaced loaders. But maybe it's just because you are not using the customization file posted here (check this as well) ?

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6645.0.html

In any case, I tried the PMDG 737 at Gate 120, and this is the result:

- Outside view - 22-24 fps
- 2D Cockpit - 30 fps
- VC Cockpit - 13 fps

As a comparison (on the same system and settings), the default Mooney is:

- Outside view - 35 fps
- 2D Cockpit - 38 fps
- VC Cockpit - 33 fps

So, the only thing of note, is the PMDG 737 VC is very hard on fps.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:05:00 pm by virtuali »

windshear

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 12:44:03 am »
I did some testing after changing the maximum texture size, and it did increase performance a bit, but my problem remain.

I have blurry textures, at night only though. And I experience a crash sometimes at the gate sometimes after take off.

I don't know what's wrong, but because you don't have problems doesn't really help me very much now does it?
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 11:49:16 am »
I have blurry textures, at night only though. And I experience a crash sometimes at the gate sometimes after take off.

It's normal that night textures will be a bit less sharp. As I've said, anything less than 4096 texture size at KLAX will reduce the resolution compared to how it supposed to look like.

I don't know what's wrong, but because you don't have problems doesn't really help me very much now does it?

It's not that *I* don't have problems. It's that nobody else has reported such issue, but I still took the time to test fps, with the default Mooney and with the PMDG 737. Have you done the same ? Try it, do the same, and report back.

windshear

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 01:52:57 pm »
It's the crash that has me bothered. The fps have been ok since the 4096 change and turning off of the anti virus program
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 06:28:57 pm »
It's the crash that has me bothered.

Do you still have crashes with a default airplane ? How much free memory you have at KLAX with the PMDG running, and how much free memory you have with a default airplane ?

windshear

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 08:04:46 pm »
ok I will test
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

windshear

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 11:15:16 pm »
Something is very wrong with all of my FSDT sceneries... Dallas now says its registered but not installed... But that's impossible, because it is...

from the scenery.cfg:
[Area.148]
Title=Dallas Fort Worth DFW
Local=D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\fsdreamteam\KDFW
Layer=148
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

windshear

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 11:17:23 pm »
and there is not scenery when I go there... I have installed the addonmanager many times now... This is not something I am able to fix
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

windshear

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 11:19:47 pm »
can the fact that I had FSX installed before be a factor? I am really baffled
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 11:36:39 am »
can the fact that I had FSX installed before be a factor? I am really baffled

It might be, if you used the P3D Migration Tool and is still active somehow. So, because of that tool, that is designed to fool addons into believing they are running under FSX, the Addon Manager is tricked into looking the FSX folders for the scenery.cfg, instead of the P3D folder.

You can verify this if you enable Logging from the Troubleshooting section of the GSX Settings menu and restart the sim. Then, ZIP the Couatl.LOG file under the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder, and attach to a message, so I can have a look at it.