Author Topic: Addon manager anti-popup setting  (Read 7782 times)

Ironkidz

Addon manager anti-popup setting
« on: April 23, 2015, 06:25:56 pm »
Hello,
I have been experiencing alot of stutters upon approach to some FSDT airports and realized that it may be due to airport assets populating. I decided to try to anti-popup setting in the addon manager but I noticed that when I do, all of the settings in the addon manager page get saved to my .cfg. Is there a way to just set the anti-popup to 10 while leaving the rest of the settings on that page out of my .cfg? Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon manager anti-popup setting
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:43:00 pm »
I noticed that when I do, all of the settings in the addon manager page get saved to my .cfg. Is there a way to just set the anti-popup to 10 while leaving the rest of the settings on that page out of my .cfg?

This has been discussed so many times on the forum. Those settings that you say have "changed" are either:

- READ from YOUR existing FSX.CFG file

OR

- If the setting wasn't there, is set to a default setting.

It's not that, if you don't see a setting in the FSX.CFG, that setting doesn't exists. It will use an internal default value, and the Addon Manager just reset to it so, it won't make any difference in the end.

The only setting that is actually changed, is the HIGHMEMFIX = 1, which is basically mandatory with today's video cards so, even if it's not enabled by default, it's best to set it to 1, and the AffinityMask, which is set by default to the best value for quad-core CPUs.

Everything else, is set to the same value you *already* had there, or to the value FSX would use internally if there was no setting to begin with.

Ironkidz

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:18:59 am »

It's not that, if you don't see a setting in the FSX.CFG, that setting doesn't exists. It will use an internal default value, and the Addon Manager just reset to it so, it won't make any difference in the end.

The only setting that is actually changed, is the HIGHMEMFIX = 1, which is basically mandatory with today's video cards so, even if it's not enabled by default, it's best to set it to 1, and the AffinityMask, which is set by default to the best value for quad-core CPUs.

Everything else, is set to the same value you *already* had there, or to the value FSX would use internally if there was no setting to begin with.

Thanks Umberto but this is a problem for me. With the last 2 Steam Edition updates there were changes to the index and vertex buffer logic which dynamically updates them along with affinity mask logic. So the Addon manager is adding those line items to my .CFG which overrides the sim logic because they are being given a static value since they are in the .CFG. I guess I could just go into the .CFG and remove them myself but it would be easiest if there was another way to excluding them or knowing what line in my .CFG to edit myself so that I dont have to piece out these other .CFG edits.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:14:11 am »
Thanks Umberto but this is a problem for me. With the last 2 Steam Edition updates there were changes to the index and vertex buffer logic which dynamically updates them along with affinity mask logic. So the Addon manager is adding those line items to my .CFG which overrides the sim logic because they are being given a static value since they are in the .CFG. I guess I could just go into the .CFG and remove them myself but it would be easiest if there was another way to excluding them or knowing what line in my .CFG to edit myself so that I dont have to piece out these other .CFG edits.

This doesn't mean the program logic should change. As I've said, a non-existing setting doesn't mean the setting is not there anymore and the sim doesn't have an internal default value. It this was the case, you could set the setting to any value, and it won't affect the sim, so the issue would be moot anyway.

So, it's not an issue of changing the program logic, it's just a matter of using the slider to set it to it's NEW default value if you use FSX:SE, and SAVE it back. It won't be changed again, unless you press the RESET default button.

We might just change the defaults depending on the sim used, this can be done, but there's no need to have a convoluted way to excluding settings, which doesn't make any sense.

In this regard, what would be your suggested changes to the DEFAULT settings for FSX:SE ?

Ironkidz

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 10:25:01 am »

This doesn't mean the program logic should change. As I've said, a non-existing setting doesn't mean the setting is not there anymore and the sim doesn't have an internal default value. It this was the case, you could set the setting to any value, and it won't affect the sim, so the issue would be moot anyway.

So, it's not an issue of changing the program logic, it's just a matter of using the slider to set it to it's NEW default value if you use FSX:SE, and SAVE it back. It won't be changed again, unless you press the RESET default button.

We might just change the defaults depending on the sim used, this can be done, but there's no need to have a convoluted way to excluding settings, which doesn't make any sense.

In this regard, what would be your suggested changes to the DEFAULT settings for FSX:SE ?

Thanks for the reply Umberto.

Dovetail stated the following: "it should not be necessary to manually change the AffinityMask any more. FSX: Steam Edition will automatically use the correct value. However, if you have previously added your own AffinityMask to the FSX.CFG file, you will need to remove this value otherwise the game will use whatever value is currently assigned there." and in regards to buffer pools: "We have improved the handling of vertex and index buffer pooling (actually, this is dynamic vertex/index buffer management) within FSX:SE. By setting UsePools=0, you are effectively disable dynamic buffer use. This forces all buffers to be created in a static fashion which may affect performance in either a positive or negative way, depending upon your hardware. Buffer pool management in FSX:SE is now much more sensible by default in that we only use dynamic buffers when the buffers are quite small. Larger buffers still end up as static buffers so the idea is that the overhead of creating small buffers is made much less by pooling them."

You have proven yourself as a master of flight simulation, so correct me if I am wrong, but when I just want to change one thing and the Addon Manager changes these values to whatever it can see in the sim at the time, it effectively makes them static. So the only way I see to work around this is to allow the user to select which changes they would like to allow it to change. Affinty Mask wont change unless one enables or disables hyper threading, but the buffer pools do based on scenery and system load. Correct me if I am wrong or if you think there is a way I can manage the .cfg manually to exclude these changes.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 01:47:45 pm »
Dovetail stated the following: "it should not be necessary to manually change the AffinityMask any more. FSX: Steam Edition will automatically use the correct value. However, if you have previously added your own AffinityMask to the FSX.CFG file, you will need to remove this value otherwise the game will use whatever value is currently assigned there."

This simply means that, if you set it to all bit enabled, it's exactly the same.

and in regards to buffer pools: "We have improved the handling of vertex and index buffer pooling (actually, this is dynamic vertex/index buffer management) within FSX:SE. By setting UsePools=0, you are effectively disable dynamic buffer use.

The explanation is a bit partial: the Addon Manager DOES NOT default to 0, but to a certain value. The missing information is if they now also have a setting to *explicitly* enable this dynamic management.

You have proven yourself as a master of flight simulation, so correct me if I am wrong, but when I just want to change one thing and the Addon Manager changes these values to whatever it can see in the sim at the time, it effectively makes them static.

That's not relevant. It's only a matter of knowing what EXPLICIT setting matches the "no setting" of the same tweak, the difference is then only semantical.

So the only way I see to work around this is to allow the user to select which changes they would like to allow it to change. Affinty Mask wont change unless one enables or disables hyper threading, but the buffer pools do based on scenery and system load. Correct me if I am wrong or if you think there is a way I can manage the .cfg manually to exclude these changes.

No, it's NOT the only way. A better way could be simply disabling the handling some tweaks, depending on the sim, assuming WE CANNOT find an explicit setting that is equivalent to the "default = non existing" setting.

If, instead, we find the new default setting and set it depending on the sim, it's perfectly fine as it is now.

Ironkidz

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 06:56:40 pm »
Ok, thanks Umberto. I found the .cfg entry under FSDreamTeam and retained just the antipop up setting in my .cfg backup and it looks like it is working.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 10:41:24 pm »
Ok, thanks Martin.

Who's Martin? You mean Umberto? Martin works for FlyTampa.

Ironkidz

Re: Re: Addon manager anti-popup setting
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 12:15:18 am »
Ok, thanks Martin.

Who's Martin? You mean Umberto? Martin works for FlyTampa.
Sorry. Martin works for Dovetail games. Since we were talking about them I got them mixed up.

hjmx

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 08:16:23 am »
I noticed that when I do, all of the settings in the addon manager page get saved to my .cfg. Is there a way to just set the anti-popup to 10 while leaving the rest of the settings on that page out of my .cfg?

This has been discussed so many times on the forum. Those settings that you say have "changed" are either:

- READ from YOUR existing FSX.CFG file

OR

Sorry, I do not agree. Using P3Dv3, Settings changed AM to 14 when I have HT on, HighmemFix in P3Dv3? Bufferpools etc, Is it really so difficult to let the user to decide? Your settings/change have been made mainly for FSX now forcing them to P3Dv2/v3 - Not sure if all thes setting are reasonable for the new platform.

kind regards,
Harry

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 09:31:40 am »
Sorry, I do not agree. Using P3Dv3, Settings changed AM to 14 when I have HT on, HighmemFix in P3Dv3? Bufferpools etc, Is it really so difficult to let the user to decide?

Sorry, but this is not what happens. Just "using P3D" won't have any setting changed. The only thing that would result in settings changed is pressing the SAVE button so, we ALREADY allow the user to decide!!

The SAVE button is what allows you to decide to use or not the Addon Manager tweaker. As explained several times in the forum and in this thread too, your .CFG file is not touched, until YOU press the Save button.

Your settings/change have been made mainly for FSX now forcing them to P3Dv2/v3 - Not sure if all these setting are reasonable for the new platform.

Then, if you think the default are not reasonable, you can either:

- DECIDE not to press the Save button, and nobody will touch your .CFG file

OR

- If you WANT to press Save button, because you find the tweaking interface (that is an OPTIONAL part of the Addon Manager), change the settings to a value you believe is best than the default value we set, before pressing the Save button.