Author Topic: Performance Loss: Around the control tower and terminal area  (Read 14174 times)

aceridgey

Performance Loss: Around the control tower and terminal area
« on: October 02, 2013, 04:20:23 pm »
Hi there guys,

I am still testing to see where my performance drop is regarding the scenery. I have everything set to 1096 and lowest install settings.

If I go on the fly and look at the control tower and terminal area the fps suffer very very badly. As soon as I look away from it, the frame rates increase dramatically.

Alex

Hnla

Re: Performance Loss: Around the control tower and terminal area
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 05:19:22 pm »
Seriously? Haven't you learned from this topic? http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=7901.0

Check for AFCAD duplicates using the tool here: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13263

aceridgey

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:40:27 pm »

Yes, I even participated in it.. What do you think I have missed from it?

I have tested every direction.

Alex

aceridgey

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:30:13 am »

I don't know if you're out just to troll me man,

The direction thing is I have made sure that around the control tower, I am not looking at all the surrounding scenery, etc. etc.

You yourself put a topic up about this.

Alex

Hnla

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:58:03 pm »
Aceridgey,

It's very annoying when you continue to complain and bash CYVR continuously on AVSIM, when clearly NOBODY responds to your complaints because we all know you had a topic almost EXACTLY like this one a few months ago?

Wondering why Umberto isn't responding? Because it's quite obvious what is going on, and your situation has no similarity to anyone else's on AVSIM because I think they even know how realize when it's a duplicate AFCAD!

So please, stop complaining about your low performance with CYVR, because nobody else has low performance, and it's nothing wrong with the scenery in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:00:35 pm by Hnla »

aceridgey

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 11:39:09 am »
Aceridgey,

It's very annoying when you continue to complain and bash CYVR continuously on AVSIM, when clearly NOBODY responds to your complaints because we all know you had a topic almost EXACTLY like this one a few months ago?

Wondering why Umberto isn't responding? Because it's quite obvious what is going on, and your situation has no similarity to anyone else's on AVSIM because I think they even know how realize when it's a duplicate AFCAD!

So please, stop complaining about your low performance with CYVR, because nobody else has low performance, and it's nothing wrong with the scenery in the first place.

Hmm,

So what would you say to me if I haven't got a duplicate afcad ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 01:00:47 pm »
So what would you say to me if I haven't got a duplicate afcad ?

Is difficult to understand what you *really* have, considering you were always denying having duplicate AFCADs in that thread, even if the screenshots you posted back then had duplicate objects.

Maybe you don't have a duplicate AFCAD now, but that doesn't mean CYVR has problems because, of course, nobody reported such drop of fps only when looking in the direction of the tower. Another scenery, even far away, in the same direction could be causing this.

And, you are forcing me to REPEAT the same old things that were explained in that thread:

- You are keep using the internal FSX frame limiter. This is WRONG, the frame limiter set at 30 won't do ANY good if your fps is already lower than that. As explained, many times already, you should use an EXTERNAL fps limiter, which will work much better. Since recent drivers have an fps limiter INCLUDED in the driver, there's no need to use separate utilities and there's no excuse for not using it.

Turn that dreadful fps limiter in FSX OFF, and use the external limiter provided by the video card control panel.

- You are using fraps to show your fps, which of course doesn't make any sense, because you are not getting any better information than the frame rate counter in FSX (in fact, the FSX counter is more precise, because it's showing floating point values, while the Fraps one is rounded off) but other than that, you are not taking into account that Fraps ITSELF has an impact on performances too.

Don't use Fraps just to measure fps.

The attached screenshot shows my fps at CYVR in a position similar to the one you posted on Avsim. I don't see any significant drop, of course it's faster when looking at the sea (obviously) but is still good towards the control tower.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:08:35 pm by virtuali »

aceridgey

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 01:54:18 pm »
Is difficult to understand what you *really* have, considering you were always denying having duplicate AFCADs in that thread, even if the screenshots you posted back then had duplicate objects.

Maybe you don't have a duplicate AFCAD now, but that doesn't mean CYVR has problems because, of course, nobody reported such drop of fps only when looking in the direction of the tower. Another scenery, even far away, in the same direction could be causing this.

Are you sure? I can gather some examples from many people suggesting otherwise.

You are keep using the internal FSX frame limiter. This is WRONG

This is what is suggested by many people to acheive optimum smoothness and stutter free simulator. (Check the FSX guide on Avsim or Kosta's fsx guide)

You are using fraps to show your fps, which of course doesn't make any sense, because you are not getting any better information than the frame rate counter in FSX (in fact, the FSX counter is more precise, because it's showing floating point values, while the Fraps one is rounded off) but other than that, you are not taking into account that Fraps ITSELF has an impact on performances too.

Fraps causes pretty much 0% performance drop, it is not going to effect the sim, and as you know the fps within fsx fluctuates a lot and getting a round number is preferred.

Hnla

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 02:38:07 pm »
This is what is suggested by many people to acheive optimum smoothness and stutter free simulator. (Check the FSX guide on Avsim or Kosta's fsx guide)

Don't you think that maybe you should listen to what he is telling you, considering his computer experience? There are a ton of sources on the Internet that say the internal limiter in FSX will give worse fps.

If you are unwilling to troubleshoot and take advice from the developer!?  ???  Than stop complaining about it in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:47:26 pm by Hnla »

aceridgey

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 02:49:36 pm »

[...]

If you are unwilling to troubleshoot and take advice from the developer!?  ???  Than stop complaining about it in the first place.

I am unsure why you are getting involved as all you have done is respond negatively and not given any advice.

I have been given little advice when with all due respect the developer cannot see issues with his own scenery, therefore quick to blame other people and not himself.

Hnla

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 03:16:20 pm »
I am unsure why you are getting involved as all you have done is respond negatively and not given any advice.

I have been given little advice when with all due respect the developer cannot see issues with his own scenery, therefore quick to blame other people and not himself.

I gave you plenty of advice, I gave you advice to LISTEN to what he is telling you..

Even though everyone is clearly laughing at your ridiculousness here, the conversation could end with a simple statement: All of FSDT's products come with a trial version of the scenery, that runs for 5 minutes at a time, so the user can test how it performs on his/her system. If you don't find the trial satisfactory, that you shouldn't of bought it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 03:53:04 pm »
Are you sure? I can gather some examples from many people suggesting otherwise.

Nobody reported THIS problem with CYVR, and "many people" tell you exactly otherwise. You are the one and only one reporting such drop in fps.

Are you trying to confuse the ENTIRELY different problem of "many users" using other memory hungry add-ons at CYVR, and getting OOM crash ? Not a CYVR problem too, and not obviously related to your issue which, again, has been reported by you and nobody else.

No, the "optimum smoothness and stutter free simulator" is exactly as I've said: keep the internal fps llimiter disabled, and using an external limiter. Before the video drivers had their own limiter, it was common knowledge to use a separate utility, but now there's no need for it anymore.

Fraps causes pretty much 0% performance drop, it is not going to effect the sim,.

Believing that something has "0% performance drop" is too optimistic. ANYTHING that runs in the background will affect performances, and of course more so something that even overlays something on the FSX screen, because it has to intercept EVERY call made to Directx in order to display is overlap.

and as you know the fps within fsx fluctuates a lot and getting a round number is preferred

No, it's not. If you want to get rid of fps fluctuation, throwing away precision is NOT the solution, what you want would be reading the AVERAGE fps and of course, the FSX fps counter CAN be configured to display fps averages too, put this into FSX.CFG

[TextInfo.X] <<<-----whichever window you want to put it in
FrameRate=1,1
AverageFrameRate=1,2
LockedFrameRate=1,3

aceridgey

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 03:58:25 pm »

We're going round in circles here. *white flag*

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 04:00:10 pm »

Explain MY fps. Which of course can be confirmed by anybody else that has seen the scenery.

aceridgey

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 10:34:58 am »

Explain MY fps. Which of course can be confirmed by anybody else that has seen the scenery.

I don't get any issues with your LAX scenery, I have 26-30fps in the VC there.

I have no issues with the default CYVR at all.