Author Topic: Sludge Hornet v2.0  (Read 84796 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Sludge Hornet v2.0
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 04:35:03 am »
Fellas...

Working on the installer now. Having to do alot of reading and whatnot, but the jets are ready to go, now I just have to get the installer working.

Will keep you updated as I make progress.

Later
Sludge

hrnet940

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 03:27:59 am »
The hook disappears when I am on land airports too.  That is why I mentioned it.  I remembered that the carriers can have this problem, but not on land.  I like having control of my trim for the entire flight and have become quite good at trimming the older Sludge Hornet, 1.2 I think.  I also fly the VRS Super Bug and love the ATC APR on it, but that's a Super Hornet.  This is an aircraft, your hornet, that you  can mush it around in corners and really have fun flying it.  The other one handles very different.  I am liking yours to fly on and off the boat more.  We up here in Canada have model A and B hornets that just had an update a number of years ago so I enjoy being able to see the cockpit that has that style engine and fuel gauge.  Thanks for keeping this bird alive!!

Thanks,
Wayne
FSX Hornet Pilot

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 07:50:36 am »
Hornet...

OK, thanks for that update. I'll look into it once I get my head wrapped around this Installer. Also, yes, this version of the Sludge will have no auto-trim, you'll be able to set it yourself, til I can figure out a better method for allowing the XML to auto-trim.

Thanks for the good words, and seriously, I LOVE the Legacy Hornet. After the Miramar trip and real-world Legacy sim time (thanks again, CAPT Bromley), I still wish I had the skills to really code and get the look and the feel of that sim.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 08:14:09 am »
Fellas...

OK, change 10 to revision B. As I'm expecting my new processor (AMD FX 8320) in tomorrow and will be dismantling my computer to install/test it, I'm gonna release Sludge v2.0 TC1 tomorrow as just the FA-18A+ Basic/FX versions in .ZIP files. It will be a whole package with basic install instructions and a quick overview of changes for you to test out.

Now, keep in mind, this is MOSTLY a functional check of the new style/system I'm employing while still giving you something to get your hands on and test out. Meaning, backup (cut/paste outside the FSX/Airplanes folder) or delete, any prior Sludge installs you may have done prior to installing this TC1 version.

I'll list some of the changes I've done, but mostly want to make sure it installs into everyone's system FIRST and FOREMOST and that you get all the gauges, textures, and effects. As mentioned before, the PA PID.XML will be disabled in this version, so when you attempt landings (land/carrier), you'll have to set the trim manually.

Other than that, if it installs correctly (you get ALL exterior textures, the 2D/VC/Gauges, Betty voice sounds, and the effects work), by all means, have fun and test her out... especially around the boat and using Serge's vLSO.

I'm mainly doing this to get it out there before I do this processor upgrade IN CASE something goes wrong (they are machines built by humans, after all) and I'm unable to continue working on the Sludge for the near future.

Later
Sludge

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 07:29:01 pm »
Is this going to be a wide release or just here on FSDT?
Pops

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 09:29:29 pm »
Pyro...

Just here on FSDT, via a link to my website.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 05:03:55 am »
Fellas...

Here it is. Sludge Hornet v2.0 TC1.

http://www.sludgehornet.com/downloads/FA-18A+ TC1.zip

Download, read the install directions, follow, test for effectiveness. Then read the changes log and if the install worked have fun and get back to me with what you think.

Later
Sludge

ctec1

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 12:04:29 pm »
Thank You Sir, I'll be up and at it later this evening ;D

Thx Again

pyroperson87

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 04:25:36 pm »
Sludge,

Flew it around North Island a bit.  A few things I noticed:

1. At 0.0 trim, it has a pronounced nose-down effect.  Not sure if that is intentional or not, or if that's an anomaly on my system.
2. She hauls ass.  At 50% fuel load, a full burner takeoff had me at almost M.70 by the end of the runway.  Seemed a heck of a lot faster than previous iterations of the Sludge Hornet.
3. I personally don't prefer the transparency of IFLOLS gauge.  I do however love the new positions of all the gauges.
4. The new PLAT is absolutely B*TCHIN!  Now to get it working with SF mission 2.5...multiplayer carrier ops wouldn't get much better than that.
5. Install process was a breeze.  Love the new file structure.
6. The new HUD size in VC was awfully tiny and at some points difficult to read.  I fly with the viewpoint zoomed out to .40 so as to see the MFD's, which worked great on the previous Sludge Hornet.
7. The effects all looked good.  The new G load vibration effect is pretty sweet.

That's all I have for now.  Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to fly some passes at the boat.  Excited to try the new cat shot.

Pyro
Pops

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 05:05:34 pm »
CTEC...
No prob, glad to do it.

Pyro...
Thanks for the quick eval and comments, exactly what I'm looking for from all the fellas.

1- Yes, it is intended to be a tad forward-balanced. This is where me and JIMI have diverted methods. I have a slightly unbalanced jet (as the default is), so the XMLs dont have to do as much and the jet will "fall" forward in a stall. Whereas JIMIs bird is balanced and he relies more on XML coding to keep the jet trimmed up. Once I get the PA PID fixed, I'll slowly integrate the UA-logic auto-trim, so that you wont even notice the nose down tendency.
2- Yes, also been tweaked since last time with the afterburner/mach curves. Probly too much on the GENEROUS end, so that will take some tweaking. How was MIL (non-AB) performance?
3- OK, no problem. If you're comfy with the Panel.CFG files, go in there and change the transparency value in that particular [window], then reload the aircraft. You can get it to your liking.
4- Good, glad you like it.
5- Good, hopefully this will encourage more users to get their hands dirty doing some modding?! Its a lot of fun and addictive once you try it and see your changes take effect.
6- Yeah, I've heard that before and I have the luxury of a 32" 1080p TV/monitor. When I get my system back online, I'll put that high on the TO DO list. I'm not a fan of the default Combat HUD size, but I can put that in there, if you like it? I'd like to hear from others on this as well. Does JIMIs HUD sizing work for you?
7- Ya, its a blast pulling Gs and SEEING/HEARING the VC rattle, right?!

If you get a chance, lemme know if you have a separate USB headset and you hear Betty through it?

Later
Sludge

pyroperson87

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:28 pm »
Sludge,

Got a spare minute and flew a pass at the boat.  As soon as I trapped, the brakes were applied without any input from me.  Pushing period or my mapped brakes button on my stick didn't do anything.  Setting the parking brakes and then releasing them was the only thing that worked.  After that however, I had no normal braking, only parking brakes.  Made it a bit tough to get hooked up to the cat.  Hooked up to the cat and the first thing I noticed was the new trim setting that was automatically applied.  Way cool.  At 50% fuel load and MIL power, my IAS at the end of the cat stroke was a bit low and I took a nice little swim.  I only had time for the one pass, so I'll keep trying it out again some other time and try some variations of what I was doing earlier to see if the results differ.  I'll let you know.

Pyro
Pops

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 11:43:27 pm »
Pyro...

As soon as I trapped, the brakes were applied without any input from me.  Pushing period or my mapped brakes button on my stick didn't do anything.  Setting the parking brakes and then releasing them was the only thing that worked.  After that however, I had no normal braking, only parking brakes.

I thought I turned that OFF, when I get my computer up and running, I'll re-check the XML to make sure its NOT engaging all the time. Part of the problem I had when I first tried this WORK-AROUND, was how it didnt engage/disengage properly. This is my second full go-around with using the brakes this way. Lemme see if I cant fix it when I get a chance. If I can get it to work, its a great way to slow CAT SHOT speed to realistic but it can be a pain, especially if certain conditions aren't being met or read in the XML. In essense, the XML is "sensing" a condition and applying LEFT and RIGHT Brake AXIS to the amount I've programmed in. I may try to avoid using AXIS Braking and see if I can enable it thru the use of the aircraft brakes themselves. Its a similar problem to what JIMI encountered when having a speed limiter set to the THROTTLE AXIS... if the XML sets an AXIS, it will check against that joystick AXIS, and not A:VAR.

Thanks for the heads up. Also, if you can remember, you were at MIL for takeoff, what was your end-cat IAS? And what was your carrier speed? Standard?

Later
Sludge

pyroperson87

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 01:35:50 am »
Sludge,

I don't remember my speed at the end of the stroke but I remember it being triple digits.  I was using your custom AI boat traffic just off North Island with the almost exactly the same wind setup you said you used.  I think you said the boat was 15kts and I have the wind setup at 308 at 16kts.

Pyro
Pops

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 05:37:34 am »
Pyro...

OK, roger that. I'll see what I can do now, as I got MY NEW PROCESSOR installed and everything is up and running good.

Later
Sludge

Victory103

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 05:22:29 pm »
Any issues with installing in the CS twin seater? Didn't want to mess anything up during the install, but the file structure does seem easier to manage now.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS