Author Topic: Add a GPU?  (Read 4430 times)

Markoz

Add a GPU?
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:48:26 am »
Hi.

I have had GSX since it was first released, and I love it. I would like to thank you for all the great work you have put, and continue to put, into it.

I have a small request, but I don't know if this has been asked before. Sorry if it it has.

I was wondering if you might consider including a Ground Power Unit to the equipment surrounding the aircraft. I know that some aircraft, like the PMDG 737NGX includes them, but others do not. I do not think it will need to be functional because many aircraft simulate the ground connections, but without having the visible 3D models, so just having it there for looks would be great.

Thanks.

Mark

CoolP

Re: Add a GPU?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:37:53 am »
Great idea. Perhaps being bound to the size of the aircraft, like the tow vehicle. I mean, we already have some fuel truck, so maybe a GPU or ground connection can join him.  :D

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:25:15 am »
A GPU could be a bit tricky because, most of the complex airplanes that most people want to use, either already have it (like the PMDG) or have custom electrical systems anyway so, it would be very difficult to make it work with every airplane.

Keeping the airplane powered up, would require *writing* into the airplane data, which is potentially dangerous (is not as safe as just *reading*, like we do for custom doors) and might require reverse-engineering every complex 3rd party airplane out there. And if we did a GPU that would work only with default airplanes or airplanes with the standard FSX electrical system, people will complain they want to use it with that xxx 3rd party airplane, and taking valuable parking space to make a dummy/fake GPU that doesn't do anything, it's not a very good idea either.

CoolP

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:36:42 pm »
Thanks for your answer. I guess the main part we were focusing on was the 'simple' visual one, because you are right, the electrical stuff of this and that addon should be left alone.

But maybe one could add a parameter to the gsx.cfg, like 'show GPU model'. By that, the user can decide which addon will show some model, depending on the aircraft's size. No added functionality or something, just that box perhaps being able to receive a setup like the doors, so the cables and ducts can somehow connect to the plane's model.

Markoz

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 06:28:59 am »
Thanks for your answer. I guess the main part we were focusing on was the 'simple' visual one, because you are right, the electrical stuff of this and that addon should be left alone.

But maybe one could add a parameter to the gsx.cfg, like 'show GPU model'. By that, the user can decide which addon will show some model, depending on the aircraft's size. No added functionality or something, just that box perhaps being able to receive a setup like the doors, so the cables and ducts can somehow connect to the plane's model.
This is exactly what I was inquiring about. A simple GPU 3D model that can be visible or not depending on ones preference. It wouldn't need to be providing any power or air, just to sit there looking like it is. In the GSX.cfg, we have the ability to remove the use of a passenger, cargo or service door, to reduce the cluttering, I thought the same could apply to a GPU.

Mark