Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148713 times)

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2014, 03:41:43 am »
Dreams do come true!  :) ;) :D ;D :o :o :o :o :o :o :o 8)

As much as I love the Superbug, I've been waiting for a correctly modeled legacy for SOOOO long!

Pops

Afterburn93

• "I've got this thing floored!"
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2014, 03:59:59 am »
YAY!! Finally got the permission to distribute the new model from Madcatz (Thanks Madcatz).  Looking for a suitable place to upload now.  Need some testers for those interested....

Hey Jimi,

Long time no see. I'd be glad to test the model. :)

Just moved in to a new apartment, got a new x52 and rudder pedals to enhance my flight simming experience.

Hope all is well on your end. Talk to you soon.
Ben ("Rhoads", afterburn, A/B, etc.)

Benjamin "Afterburn" Rothstein (A/B, Candlewacs)

"Is that an Uzi in your handbag... or are you just pleased to see me?"

pyroperson87

« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2014, 06:05:26 am »
I've been sitting here refreshing the page every 30 minutes or so in anticipation of flying this beauty ASAP. The suspense is killing me!  ;D
Pops

dave76

« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2014, 12:56:15 pm »
wow, this is a great new!!!!!
where will it be downloadable from?????? i always loved their hornet!!!

can you plese post a link when it will be ready???? thanks :D :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:06:44 pm by dave76 »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2014, 06:09:23 pm »
OK Everyone,

This is what I have SO FAR.  It is by NO MEANS complete in any sense of the word.  I am still primarily working on flight dynamics, and still have plenty of work to do in regards to touching up the textures and effects.  This of this as a Alpha/Beta product.

Very big thanks to Jamal "SPINS" Ingram for his contribution of the 3-D model, Scott "Shylock" Berge for the help with the textures, Scott Printz for his help with various gauges used in the cockpit, Christian "Sludge" Snow for his help with the effects used and MadCatz for giving us the permission to distribute their product for free.

So please take a look, I've only included 2 variants, the Blue Angels version and a Fleet Version.  As usual, I am looking for quality feedback from you guys.

Things to look for with this model:
-Flight handling/dynamics
     *Pitch Auto Trim during Up & Away.  Disengaged when in Power Approach Mode (i.e. you get control of your trim when taking off/landing)
     *Auto Rudder now has two modes.  During Up & Away, rudder trim is set based on Angle of Bank, in Powered Approach Mode, it is set to constantly correct for slipping and skidding so turns are always coordinated
-Updated F/A-18C Physical Model with:
     *Corrected Flap Extension
     *Rudder Toe-In during and Aileron Droop During Half and Full Flaps
     *Corrected Speed Brake Extension and Retraction Speed
     *Detailed Missile Rails
     *Blue Angels Model includes Dash Clock, Switches, and Indicators in Virtual Cockpit
     *Detailed Pilot
     *Both Stick and Trim Commands Move Control Surfaces
     *Tailhook and Refueling Probe can now be seen in multiplayer

-New Effects Include:
     *Wing Flex During High G
     *View Shutter During High G and High AOA
     *Shock Wave Effect during High Speed (Still needs lots of work though)

-Updated Cockpit Includes (All In Virtual Cockpit):
     *New Engine Data Display
     *Takeoff Trim Button Now Works (Left Side on top of rudder trim dial)
     *Anti-Skid Button (Near Gear Switch)
     *Hook Bypass Switch (Near Gear Switch)
     *Anti Spin Switch (Currently Set To Disable FCS System) (To the Right of Right MFD)
     *Right-Click Throttles To Move In and Out of Fuel Shut Off
     *Combat HUD Functions Now Integrated Into Cockpit (Press A/A Switch inside cockpit to set A/A mode, use Master Arm Switch to Arm Cannon)
     *Blue Angels Variant Now has Smoke Arm Button, Smoke Active Indicator, Inverted Fuel Pump Switch, Fuel Pump Status Lights, and Clock (Clock function has to be assigned to Spoiler Armed function)

Things I already know that I have to fix (Known Issues):
25 Jan 2014
-Textures, both inside and out.  I will get to them after I finish cleaning up the big stuff
-Throttle Response.  (Corrected, for the most part.  Still working on AB effectiveness) (in progress).
-Rudder Coordination/Integration.  Another big ticket item I am working on.
-Shock Cone Effect (definitely a W.I.P.)
-Hook takes a little long to extend and raise
26 Jan 2014
-Pilot ejects from aircraft when calling the ball with VLSO
-Aircraft acceleration/deceleration too aggressive (working)
-Fuel consumption too aggressive (fixed)
-Nose wheel steering too aggressive (fixed)
-ATC malfunctioning/issues (fixed)
-Pitch Auto Trim G/Pitch Rate priority logic (awaiting info)
-Hook/Probe not visible in MP (fixed)
-Realign Afterburner graphic (fixed)
-Launch Bar and Launch Bar Switch
-Frame rate drop (possibly due to test gauge)
-Add carrier and refueling gauges (done)
-Cockpit Views (fixed)
-Pirouette Logic
-Fuel Dump (fixed (dumps about 800 lbs/min))
-Speed Brake Effectiveness (Need data on this)
29 Jan 2014
-Nose Wheel Gear Lighting (fixed)
-Formation Strip Lighting (partially fixed, need to update night textures)
-Smoke system on fleet jets (fixed)
-Account for extra fuel talk in training version (fixed)
-Reduce AOA shake
-Wing Fold Visible in Multiplayer (in testing)
-Sounds while jet is off
-Chock & Engine covers (done)
-Afterburner effect placement (fixed: thanks Strikeeagle)
-Gear/Flap deployment timing
7 Feb 2014
-Throttle Spike at around 71% N2 RPM (I think I fixed.  Also added UA throttle stop at 68% N2)
-Additional Drop Tanks
-Rudder Toe In/Out (No Luck so far)
-UV Mapping
-Nose Wheel Steering (re-adjusted to 75 degree caster)
-Flap Operation/Scheduling (No luck so far)
-Inverted Pitch Auto Trim (Removed)
-Jet without Pilot
-Powered Approach (PA) Mode Automatic Throttle Control (ATC)
-Rolling Characteristics (fixed)
-Roll/Yaw Coordination in Turns (Redesigned Rudder System (Active Slip/Skid Based))
-Over G/Stall Tone (Removed Over G Warning)
20 Feb 2014
-Multiple Audible Warning now Inactive
-Afterburner graphics misaligned
-Pilot's Head and Helmet Misaligned

Newly Added Items:
-New Textures

Thanks again and looking forward to your feedback!

FSXBA Blue Angels (14.11) Variant Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZd1M1QzhZdFNGUEE/edit?usp=sharing (Updated 22 Jul 2014)
FSXBA Fleet (14.16) Variant Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZRW1DRVFYOVB1MkE/view?usp=sharing (Updated 13 Dec 2014)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:59:44 pm by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

dave76

« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2014, 06:37:30 pm »
Thanks jimi for your work.....does not see the time to fly with it  :) :)

flyerkg

« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2014, 09:17:00 pm »
Thank you for the excellent work completed and pending work. The Hornet is visually spectacular and thank you for modeling it with centerline fuel tank and pylons. I did a couple of bounces on the NIMITZ Tacpac  controlling ship placement. I can set navaid frequencies in the UFC but never get navigational data displayed. Flight performance seems solid and engine performance seems to be very responsive to throttle inputs.  The only thing that killed me was that the aircraft seemed to bounce a bit on the ground and on flight deck with low fuel levels. On two cat-shots my aircraft was destroyed before I left the catapult. Thus, I was respawned at about FL300 with full tanks. I guess the small bounce was considered a collision.

I do look forward to future use of your Hornets.

Keith

flyerkg

« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2014, 10:24:43 pm »
I learned something new - keyboard assignment I set for manual ball calls in vLSO also ejected me out of the new Hornet!
I definitely will be modifying that one.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2014, 10:28:10 pm »
Thanks for the inputs Keith!

In reference to your bounces on the landing, what type of approach did you do.  Where you "On Speed" (Amber Donut) during touchdown?  Did you flare before touching down?  How was your speed?  Any additional info will definitely help here.

Also in reference to the ejection?  That's a new one.  What button/key config did you use in order to eject you?  Thanks again.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

ExNusquam

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2014, 10:40:38 pm »
Couple of issues, but I like it. Vast improvement over the default Hornet.
Positives:
-Pylons. Nuff said.
-High G/AoA shake in the cockpit is great.
-Wingflex is awesome as well - glad to finally have a hornet model that does this.
-Overall handling feels pretty good. Max speed feels good, and in AB power feels right.
-Handles great behind the boat.
-HUD looks great.

Issues/Suggestions
1) Flaps switch in cockpit is non-functional. It moves, but doesn't do anything.

2) Acceleration seems very high in mil power. The speed stabilizes about where I'd expect it to (~500 KCAS at low level), but the bird puts knots on fast. This seems to contradictory to all of the anecdotal evidence that states the Hornet should be slow to accelerate.

3) FCS Auto Trim doesn't seem to be trimming as much as it should be. If you put the aircraft into a nose-high attitude then let go, the FCS should keep the G at 1.0, leading to the aircraft continuing to raise the nose. Currently the aircraft just maintains pitch at .3-.4 g until it stalls.

4) Could you add a fuel tank to the aircraft.cfg to reflect the external tank on the fleet variant? It's nice to look at but would be better if it could extend the range a bit.

5) When attempting to change TACAN channels, I was unable to flip the channel from Y back to X. Otherwise, the UFC seems to function well.

EDIT: Immediately after posting this I switched to external view and discovered my pilot had been ejected when I called the ball as well! It appears to be tied to the "Water Rudder" animation (vLSO's default ball call command). It doesn't effect handling, and is merely cosmetic, so you can just undo it as soon as you land, however if you have the model files, you might want to reassign that animation.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:44:44 pm by Joeairplane79 »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2014, 11:16:27 pm »
Thanks for the solid inputs Joe.  A couple of things...

1) Flaps switch in cockpit is non-functional. It moves, but doesn't do anything.
You should be able to control the trailing edge flaps anytime the aircraft has gear extended.  Once gear is retracted, the flaps enter autoflap mode and are scheduled to extend/retract based on Angle of Attack.  Leading Edge flaps are always in auto are always scheduled according to Angle of Attack.

2) Acceleration seems very high in mil power. The speed stabilizes about where I'd expect it to (~500 KCAS at low level), but the bird puts knots on fast. This seems to contradictory to all of the anecdotal evidence that states the Hornet should be slow to accelerate.
Although I am still working on the acceleration of the jet, evidence does point to a quick accelerating jet.  The info below was provided from a Legacy Pilot:
Acceleration times: At 6,000 ft MSL, MIL power.
360KIAS to 420 KIAS = 9 sec
360 to 480 = 19 sec
360 to 520 = 26 sec
360 to 550 = 33 sec

3) FCS Auto Trim doesn't seem to be trimming as much as it should be. If you put the aircraft into a nose-high attitude then let go, the FCS should keep the G at 1.0, leading to the aircraft continuing to raise the nose. Currently the aircraft just maintains pitch at .3-.4 g until it stalls.
You are correct.  I'll look into that.

4) Could you add a fuel tank to the aircraft.cfg to reflect the external tank on the fleet variant? It's nice to look at but would be better if it could extend the range a bit.
Yep, should be easy enough.

5) When attempting to change TACAN channels, I was unable to flip the channel from Y back to X. Otherwise, the UFC seems to function well.
-Most of the avionics are from the Default Acceleration Hornet.  But I'll take a look.  Not sure how to fix this one....

Immediately after posting this I switched to external view and discovered my pilot had been ejected when I called the ball as well! It appears to be tied to the "Water Rudder" animation (vLSO's default ball call command). It doesn't effect handling, and is merely cosmetic, so you can just undo it as soon as you land, however if you have the model files, you might want to reassign that animation.
Second time I've heard this one, but unable to replicate on my system.  Looking into it now.

Good stuff man.  Thanks for the input!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

pyroperson87

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2014, 12:09:14 am »
FSXBA "2013 Hornet released in 2014" first impressions:

Basic info: Fleet variant, NAS Lemoore at 12:00pm, fair weather.

-All around, it's by far the BEST freeware hornet out there for FSX, HANDS DOWN.
-All animations are just superb.  High AoA, g-load, wing flex, and the lighting.  Engine smoke effects look accurate, except for perhaps the LENGTH of the trail.  Looks a bit too long IMHO, although I don't really have any good evidence to support that claim.
-External model is a huge improvement over the Acceleration Hornet model.  The canopy is correctly sized now!  Finally!  Now we just need some really good HQ repaints for her :)
-HUD sizing appears to much more in line with documented HUD scale.
-VC is well modeled, though slightly lower than average texture quality.  Not really a big deal IMHO.  I prefer functionality to eye-candy.

Now for suggestions:

-As Joe mentioned, FCS UA logic is flawed in that it tries to maintain velocity vector placement rather than trying to maintain 1g.  Keep in mind this also applies for inverted flight.  However once bank angle exceeds 15 or 20 degrees (can't remember the exact figure) the FCS no longer attempts to maintain 1g in order to preserve turn authority.

-Indeed acceleration performance is a bit extreme.  At MIL, from 0 to about 60 knots seems accurate, but from 60 knots to rotation the acceleration seemed in crease dramatically.  MAX blower on takeoff gave similar results.  Climb performance is also extreme.  At full blower and 60 degrees nose up I accelerated all the way up to 26,000 feet.

-DE-acceleration also seemed extremely exaggerated.  At full blower and 650 knots at about sea level, dropping it back to idle bled speed at about 100 knots per second down through about 350 or 400 knots, followed by more expected results.

-Speed brake functionality also seems exaggerated, particularly in the low speed/high AoA regime.  But I was very happy to see that it is modeled CORRECTLY in that is retracts under high-g loading and when in PA.

-Fuel dump is EXTREMELY overkill.  Looked to be over 5000lbs/min.  According to F-18C NATOPS, fuel dump speed is around 1200lbs/min.

-Slight AoA indexer flaw.  Or perhaps the E-bracket isn't drawn quite right on the HUD.  The top hash mark on the E-bracket should equate to a green chevron on the indexer without an amber donut - This one is shown correctly. The bottom hash mark on the E-bracket should equate to a red chevron on the indexer without an amber donut - This is not shown correctly.  When the VV is lined up with the bottom hash of the e-bracket, I see a a red chevron WITH the amber donut.

-Unlike Joe, I had no issues switching between X and Y on TACAN.  The new UFC looks great, but the grey around the buttons is a bit too light.  See this picture here for real world F-18C UFC

http://www.airforceworld.com/fighter/gfx/f18/f18c_cp.jpg

-AA/AG and FIRE EXTGH buttons are green, and then illuminate to a bright green when pressed. Referencing the above picture again, when not pressed they should be quite dark.  Not a huge issue really, just something I noticed.

-What is that pilot staring at on that left LEX!?!?  Haha not an issue, I rarely use external view, just noticed it when I watched the flap transitions for the first time.

-Will there be a provision at some point to get rid of the stick blocking the MPCD?  Also a non-issue, just curious.

-ATC control has some bugs.  It just plain doesn't work in UA.  ATC appears on the HUD, but I still had full throttle control.  In PA, ATC works as expected and attempts to maintain on-speed for any given AoA, however upon disabling it, ATC was removed from the HUD but I still didn't have throttle control.  I only tried using ATC once during my hop, so I'll test this some more.

-Surprisingly noticeable FPS hit on my machine. For reference, I test ALL aircraft with identical settings, and I fly the exact same profiles in the exact same area. 
         VRS - 21.2 AVG FPS
         Sludge 1.2 - locked at 25 FPS
         FSXBA 2012 - locked at 25 FPS
         FSXBA 2014 - 19.1 AVG FPS

That's all I have for now.  I haven't taken her out for passes at the boat yet.  I'll try to get more feedback for you before the end of the day.  But again I just wanted to say how amazing it really is so far.  Thanks for the hard work you've put into this Jimi!

Pops

pyroperson87

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2014, 12:14:00 am »
Oh and I also noticed that pirouette logic isn't implemented. Any plans to incorporate this?
Pops

ExNusquam

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2014, 02:27:54 am »
You should be able to control the trailing edge flaps anytime the aircraft has gear extended.  Once gear is retracted, the flaps enter autoflap mode and are scheduled to extend/retract based on Angle of Attack.  Leading Edge flaps are always in auto are always scheduled according to Angle of Attack.
Yeah, flaps work properly, and I can move them via the F-keys in PA. However, the flaps switch on the left knee panel doesn't do anything.

Although I am still working on the acceleration of the jet, evidence does point to a quick accelerating jet.  The info below was provided from a Legacy Pilot:

I stand corrected on my previous statement. I actually just sat down with the NATOPS, and for acceleration up to 480 kts in mil and up to 550 kts in MAX, the acceleration is spot on. The issue is that in Mil, the jet should slowly accelerate up to at least 550 kts, where as your model doesn't like to stay above 500 KCAS (2000'). Max mach at MAX power (FL300) was also a bit slow (.005 mach), but the acceleration up to 1.45 mach was pretty much dead on. Nicely done.

-Indeed acceleration performance is a bit extreme.  At MIL, from 0 to about 60 knots seems accurate, but from 60 knots to rotation the acceleration seemed in crease dramatically.  MAX blower on takeoff gave similar results.  Climb performance is also extreme.  At full blower and 60 degrees nose up I accelerated all the way up to 26,000 feet.
I verified the climb performance data against the NATOPS-in both Mil and Max. Mil times to climb were 10-15 seconds quick. Max times were pretty close. Time to FL200 in max was about 40 seconds (maintaining "peak climb") and FL250 was about 55 seconds, both fairly close to the NATOPS values for a clean aircraft.

pyroperson87

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2014, 02:35:40 am »
fairly close to the NATOPS

Then I stand corrected.  I haven't done much studying of the performance portion of the NATOPS lately, should probably brush up on it before I make an ass of myself again  ::)

The issue is that in Mil

How are you determining that you're at MIL?  Could it be as simple as the texture on the throttle that says "MIL" isn't in the correct location?

Pops