Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1155526 times)

Kea

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #1035 on: October 01, 2015, 05:52:43 am »
Eventual TacPacking of this will likely solve this issue too?

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1036 on: October 01, 2015, 09:32:45 pm »
By the by, did you get my PM concerning the MOIs, Pat?
Yes, I did. Thank you very much indeed! That answered my MOI questions perfectly. Appreciate it.

As far as I know, a new model needs to be build in order to change any of the visibles like tanks,
That's what I was afraid of. It was just a thought. A possibility. Thanks :)

Sorry, the legacy Bugs are known to be "short-legged", practice your AAR skills.
That's what I kind of thought, but wanted to check :) Thanks for the info!

I am not sure if the picture I attached shows a F or G mmodel bird. I am far from expert at the external differences, but it looks to me like a 5-Wet Rhino. Probably an F model. Just in case you wanted to see it.
Again, I thank all of you for the info and answers. I appreciate it!
Pat☺

Azframer

« Reply #1037 on: October 01, 2015, 10:03:06 pm »

I am not sure if the picture I attached shows a F or G mmodel bird. I am far from expert at the external differences, but it looks to me like a 5-Wet Rhino. Probably an F model. Just in case you wanted to see it.
Pat☺
That is a F model, the G model does not carry a sidewinder on wingtip, it has electronic sensor on wingtips plus the G model also has I don't know if I should call it a faring on top of wing just inside the wing fold point.
http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_EA_18G_Testing_Pax_lg.jpg

Rick

edakridge

« Reply #1038 on: October 01, 2015, 11:04:39 pm »
Is there any documentation on how to use the refuel function? I was within 50 feet of my tanker and held steady at 33% for over a minute.

Sundog

« Reply #1039 on: October 02, 2015, 06:45:43 am »
By the by, did you get my PM concerning the MOIs, Pat?
Yes, I did. Thank you very much indeed! That answered my MOI questions perfectly. Appreciate it.

As far as I know, a new model needs to be build in order to change any of the visibles like tanks,
That's what I was afraid of. It was just a thought. A possibility. Thanks :)

Sorry, the legacy Bugs are known to be "short-legged", practice your AAR skills.
That's what I kind of thought, but wanted to check :) Thanks for the info!

Pat☺

That image is an F-Model with 4 tanks, two per wing, and a refueling pod on the center line pylon.

Victory103

« Reply #1040 on: October 02, 2015, 06:15:43 pm »
Is there any documentation on how to use the refuel function? I was within 50 feet of my tanker and held steady at 33% for over a minute.

From an older read-me on the gauge:
USAGE
Open up the gauge with Shift+4. Select an aircraft from the list from which you want to refuel. Note the bearing/altitude/distance to the selected aircraft to intercept it and take a position behind it. As soon as you are at a certain proximity to the aircraft - the refueling will start automatically and you will see a "REFUELING" message flashing on your HUD. The fuel level will also start increasing. After the fuel percentage has increased by a certain amount, a message "TRANSFER" will flash, indicating that the fuel is transferred to your aircraft. You will notice this immediately as the aircraft will lose some altitude due to increased weight. The position you need to take is calibrated to the refueling probe of the KC-135 model (from the link above) and allows a certain deviations from it. If you are refueling from a different aircraft you will know that you are in the refueling position when the "REFUELING" message flashes and you need to hold that position. When the tanks are full, you will see a "FULL" message.

OPTIONS
The button "LEVEL 1" indicates a low precision is required to maintain the refueling position. This is the default option and is very useful if you are refueling from any aircraft other than the KC-135. If you are refueling from the KC-135 or if you are very good at flying formation, you can change that to "LEVEL 2", which allows for much smaller deviations from the proper position. The button "MANUAL" indicates that you need to manually select the aircraft you want to refuel from the list. You can change that to "AUTO" in which case the closest aircraft is automatically selected. The button "REFUEL ON" is the master button which enables the refueling process. If you switch it to "REFUEL OFF", the fuel level indication will disappear from your screen and you can use the "TRAFFIC INFO" window as a radar. You can change the filter for the aircraft list from "ALL" to "AIR" or "GRND" in order to see only air or ground targets.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

edakridge

« Reply #1041 on: October 02, 2015, 08:58:36 pm »
Thanks a bunch Victory. I just wasn't in close enough.

APUtech

« Reply #1042 on: October 02, 2015, 11:04:20 pm »
Hello, flying brethren.

I was fortunate enough to try the new F/A-18C and I must say that I'm more than impressed with its performance, attention to detail (wow!) and overall quality. In the past few days I've put nearly 100 hours on it, because I enjoy flying it so much.

Most of my flying is spent practicing low-speed maneuvers/slow flight and pattern work/touch n gos.
After a few hours of flying it I decided to get back into flying fighter planes again, because the handling of this new F/A-18C reminded me of how much I missed it.

However, the other day on multiplayer Steam I was flying down to El Centro (KNJK) to meet up with "Constance" (an exceptionally skilled F/A-18 driver, in my opinion) to do a few maneuvers when suddenly the rudders began shuddering back and forth, putting my Hornet into uncontrollable rapid yawing from side to side. No amount of rudder input neutralized this phenomenon and after about 5 minutes it gradually subsided with a few warning tremors every now and then to remind me that it was still lurking in the background, ready to spring on me again. AutoPilot seemed to quiet it somewhat, but not completely neutralize it.

So my question is: Does this 'C' model Hornet have AutoRudder, because on the Shift-4 screen it shows AutoRudder as on, though in my aircraft Realism settings it is turned off? Also, on the Shift-8 screen it shows AutoRudder as being off. Hm...I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible that the in-plane AutoRudder function is giving me a case of "rudder shudder?" and if it is, is there a way to disengage AutoRudder in that Hornet? Oh, the aircraft I've experienced the anomaly in are the Blue and Desert camo models, with center tank and empty hardpoints, NSAWC. I also flew the CAT 3 "armed" models, but hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary handling-wise.   

I've used different rudder input devices trying to troubleshoot this issue: CH Pro pedals, Saitek combat pedals, Saitek Pro Flight pedals (two sets) and Saitek X-45 throttle rudder paddles, and lastly, the keyboard, keys Ins and Enter.

I would be grateful for any feedbeack regarding this; thank you so much.

APUtech
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:58:55 am by APUtech »

Orion

« Reply #1043 on: October 03, 2015, 04:15:07 am »
If you're using the most recent version (from this post http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg94146.html#msg94146), the fly-by-wire flight control system has its own custom implementation of autorudder; the FCS will automatically attempt to coordinate turns when your rudder input is neutral.  Default autorudder is irrelevant and should be left off.  The FCS custom autorudder can be disabled by giving rudder input with your flight controls, by putting the FCS in DEL by using the spin recovery switch, or by engaging the autopilot master (Z by default).

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1044 on: October 03, 2015, 09:33:04 am »
I am currently working on a setting for the rudder's PID controller that eliminates the sudden rapid ywing that the plane experiences at certain speeds. I have the same problem. So far, I am getting really close on what is as close to the settings by Orion and Jimi, and yet get's rid of that yawing, as possible, I think. There a few things I am trying also, aside from just the PID settings. So far, I think I've gotten rid of the yawing, and the pitching it did also. Now I am trying to get everything back to as close to the "original" settings as possible, without the yawing or pitching occuring, so that the plane fly's exactly the way it was originally performing when published.

I can post what has worked FOR ME, ON MY SYSTEM AND JOYSTICK. If you want. The plane still performs, as far as I can tell, not being a real F/A-18C driver, or a perfect test pilot, either, as it did originally. But as far as I can tell, it still corners the same with my adjustments, as tightly as it did for a particular roll and pull. Again, I AM trying to get it back to as close as it was when I downloaded it, without the yaw problem.
I tweak things. A lot :D

Mr. Orion, sir:
I noticed you took out the Pirouette gauge. Is that because it's no longer necessary? It SEEMS to me to perform just about the same, or better, than it did WITH the gauge, so I am guessing it's built right in, yes? Once again, I may not even testing it properly, or trying to perform the maneuver correctly, but I think I am...
Just being nosey, as usual :D

My thanks to all that told me about the F vs. G model differences. I appreciate the help!

Thanks to ALL that worked on this bird! I can not stress enough how much of a pleasure it is to fly!
Pat☺
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:34:46 am by PhantomTweak »

APUtech

« Reply #1045 on: October 03, 2015, 04:30:20 pm »
If you're using the most recent version (from this post http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg94146.html#msg94146), the fly-by-wire flight control system has its own custom implementation of autorudder; the FCS will automatically attempt to coordinate turns when your rudder input is neutral.  Default autorudder is irrelevant and should be left off.  The FCS custom autorudder can be disabled by giving rudder input with your flight controls, by putting the FCS in DEL by using the spin recovery switch, or by engaging the autopilot master (Z by default).

Orion, I neglected to mention that when these "rudder shudders" occurred I was either flying straight and level at 80-85% RPM, or in a shallow, straight 3-5 degree dive, during full-stop final apph or idle-throttle touch n gos. I don't use Auto coordination in any sim that I fly. I was unaware that the August 2015 F/A-18C release had auto-rudder, and until selecting the Shift-4 and Shift-8 screens respectively, I was employing rudder as I normally do in real life and sim, briefly eyeing the turn/slip coordinator (I assume that's what its function is) at the bottom of the ADI to be sure that I was "stepping on the ball" during turns.

It must've been quite the spectacle to see a Hornet fighter rapidly shaking its head "nope,nope,nope,nope..." because Constance (already on the deck at El Centro NAF) was laughing pretty hard about it as I was fighting to stay aligned with the rwy on short final KNJK, the chiseler: "Dude, are you serious???!!! That looks *so* darn funny! Hey, I'm sorry, but it just looks *so* funny!"

Maybe the next time that I get "rudder shudder," I'll remember to hit Locked Spot view!

APUtech

APUtech

« Reply #1046 on: October 03, 2015, 04:58:29 pm »
I am currently working on a setting for the rudder's PID controller that eliminates the sudden rapid ywing that the plane experiences at certain speeds. I have the same problem. So far, I am getting really close on what is as close to the settings by Orion and Jimi, and yet get's rid of that yawing, as possible, I think. There a few things I am trying also, aside from just the PID settings. So far, I think I've gotten rid of the yawing, and the pitching it did also. Now I am trying to get everything back to as close to the "original" settings as possible, without the yawing or pitching occuring, so that the plane fly's exactly the way it was originally performing when published.

I can post what has worked FOR ME, ON MY SYSTEM AND JOYSTICK. If you want. The plane still performs, as far as I can tell, not being a real F/A-18C driver, or a perfect test pilot, either, as it did originally. But as far as I can tell, it still corners the same with my adjustments, as tightly as it did for a particular roll and pull. Again, I AM trying to get it back to as close as it was when I downloaded it, without the yaw problem.
I tweak things. A lot :D

Mr. Orion, sir:
I noticed you took out the Pirouette gauge. Is that because it's no longer necessary? It SEEMS to me to perform just about the same, or better, than it did WITH the gauge, so I am guessing it's built right in, yes? Once again, I may not even testing it properly, or trying to perform the maneuver correctly, but I think I am...
Just being nosey, as usual :D

My thanks to all that told me about the F vs. G model differences. I appreciate the help!

Thanks to ALL that worked on this bird! I can not stress enough how much of a pleasure it is to fly!
Pat☺

PhantomTweak, I would appreciate any insight/ .cfg entries, etc. you have in assisting me toward a solution to the vexing rudder anomaly. It's nice to know that I'm not the only jet-jockey that this is happening to. I think that today maybe I'll try flying the Hornet C at various speeds and configurations to see if there's a "trigger point" when partial loss of FCS control/rudder shudder occurs. Is it AOA, angle of bank, angle of climb or descent, power setting, etc? I'm on my 3rd day recovering from surgery and I don't take pain meds, so I won't spend more that a couple of hours at it (yeah, at least that's what I'll be telling myself ;) ). I'll re-read Orion's response to my post to see if there is a permanent disengagement (at least in the current flying session) Auto-rudder key that will keep Auto-rudder off until it is re-engaged manually.

Thank you, Phantom Tweak, it's good to see you again,

APUtech

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:12:49 pm by APUtech »

Azframer

« Reply #1047 on: October 03, 2015, 08:29:33 pm »
APUtech I feel what is happening to you is happening to all, it happens just under the speed of sound, it tapers off as you reach the speed of sound. I did not nail down the exact airspeed but more than 500 knots and lower than speed of sound.

Rick

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1048 on: October 03, 2015, 09:06:05 pm »
...to see if there is a permanent disengagement (at least in the current flying session) Auto-rudder key that will keep Auto-rudder off until it is re-engaged manually.
As far as I know, no, there is not a key that will disengage the rudder PID controller, HOWEVER, the Spin Recovery switch ON will disengage the FCS completely. Sadly, this affects the flight characteristics, badly, I'm afraid. I have found that throwing the rudder hard over and holding it there will reduce/eliminate the "shudder", and once it's gone you can let go again. Slowing down by popping the speedbrake will also eliminate the problem, but it may reappear again. Also, sometimes trying to throw the rudder opposite the directions of yaw will do the trick. But that way you wind up throwing the rudder back and forth repeatedly. It does seem to work though.

Thank you, Phantom Tweak, it's good to see you again,
Good to see you too  ;D Below, I posted my sections of the aircraft.cfg I've changed so far. This IS for the Training loadout only so far. Once I am sure I have THAT one set up, I will go to the rest of the loadouts and work on them. Bear in mind, I don't think I am totally done yet, but I have limited time to work on it...
At least this may give you some idea of what's worked for me, all taken together at least, and maybe some places for you to look to start out, anyway. I hope so!

Good luck! I am sure Mr. Orion will eventually take a look, and let me know what I'm doing wrong, and why  :D I hope so, anyway. He knows this system a lot more intimately than I do, though.
It's what I've done so far, and seems to be working ok for me, at least...
Pat☺
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:11:16 pm by PhantomTweak »

Azframer

« Reply #1049 on: October 03, 2015, 09:35:30 pm »
And what I am trying to say is it is not the rudder at all, once you are just under Mach you get a oscillation and the auto rudders are just responding to that.

Rick