Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 814547 times)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #1395 on: September 05, 2016, 07:02:40 am »
Would it be possible to make a version of vLSO for WWII planes and carriers? The pattern was a bit different, with the long, sweeping, curved approach, and the LSO's waved their paddles (hence the origin of their nickname), to direct the pilots down, giving the cut or go around signs, and all that. All with just their bodies, none of the lights, radio nav-aids and other things that have improved their survival rate so much.
Pat, sounds interesting but I'm not quite sure how to implement a WWII LSO - a 3D human body model with paddles, a cartoon-like 2D image?.. A 3D model should be a part of a carrier, with huge problems in proper animations etc.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:39:58 am by Paddles »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1396 on: September 06, 2016, 07:25:00 am »
Thanks, Paddles :)
It was just an idea we were kicking around. I figured it worth asking the "expert" .

Expert: X is an unknown quantity, and a spurt is a drip under pressure  :D  ;D  ;)

Pat☺

Tregarth

« Reply #1397 on: September 06, 2016, 12:32:19 pm »
Paddles

In MS's Combat Flight Simulator 2: WW II Pacific Theatre the carrier had a pop up LSO for carrier landings.  Also FlyingStations has a pop up Deck Landing Control Officer in their Swordfish add-on.  He works very well.

The DLCO uses RN instructions which are mandatory whereas the USN LSO's instructions were advisory and hence the reverse of the RN's signals.

The RN tried adopting the USN convention to enable cross decking but it was too confusing and too many aeroplanes and crews were lost or damaged so the experiment was stopped.

In the attachment, the DLCO is instructing the pilot to "Descend".

I hope this helps.

Tregarth

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #1398 on: September 10, 2016, 02:11:48 pm »
On the possibility of using the ILS needles in the real world it is definitely a NO GO as per the story in the four page PDF attached: [extract of text from story below but best read the PDF for good comprehension]

Naval Aviation News Winter 2011 ‘The Backup Meatball’:
http://nanarchive.omnitecinc.com/20102012.aspx
“…caused the Hornet to strike the flight deck rounddown at the point where the tailhook is attached to the aircraft.… The pilot ejected and landed on the flight deck, sustaining major injuries; the aircraft was lost.… …the pilot stated that his carrier landing technique was to use his Automated Carrier Landing System (ACLS) needles as his primary reference & use the Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System, or meatball, as a backup for glide slope information.

Grampaw Pettibone says: “…And our intrepid aviator? Well, Ol’ Gramps knows that every pilot has his way to do stuff, but using the ACLS needles in close instead of flying the ball is about as dumb as skinny dippin’ with snapping turtles. Gouge is great, but it’s no substitute for knowing the right way to do things and stickin’ to what’s worked for a long, long time. Gramps knows that none of this fella’s LSOs taught him that ACLS technique—he should have stuck with what he’d learned.…”
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

MartinM

« Reply #1399 on: March 28, 2017, 01:06:16 pm »
I upgraded to the latest releases yesterday and now I am getting an error, something saying "... out of bound ..." all the time.

Any ideas?

MikeB54

« Reply #1400 on: April 02, 2017, 11:35:16 am »
I upgraded to the latest releases yesterday and now I am getting an error, something saying "... out of bound ..." all the time.

Any ideas?

Delete the vLSO_log.txt file. It will create another.

Mike

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1401 on: April 02, 2017, 08:42:20 pm »
Yup, and all you're hard work getting qualed wil be gone. Start over, Nugget!  ;D  :D :P

But it does work. Have fun!
Pat☺

Lion207

« Reply #1402 on: May 14, 2017, 09:39:26 pm »
Hi Paddles/all,

First, thanks for vLSO. It's awesome.

I'm fairly competent at catching 2- and 3- wire (Ok)'s at the boat, but I thought I'd make it 'official' and do some FCLP quals. I downloaded Choctaw and Fentress from the blog, and installed. Everything is working as far as relates to vLSO, but I CANNOT see the IFLOLS Mk14 lights at anything beyond about 300ft distance, approaching either end of either field. I've attached some files to demonstrate this. It almost looks as if the light emitters are 'behind' or 'inside' the Mk14 3D model. If I taxi up to it, the lights will appear. The closer I get, the light emitters become less blurry and more refined, but regardless, they still aren't usable. I searched this thread and didn't see much about this, save for 2 posts about scalar values. (I'm not worried about the blurry/fuzzy, I can't even see the IFLOLS in the pattern at this point.)

Any ideas? I'd love to finish FCLP (or start, since I haven't made one successful night T&G - LOL).

If you would rather I post this over on the vLSO blog, just let me know.

- P3D v3.4 Academic
- FSUIPC, Superbug+TacPac, AI Carriers, VRS Middle East scenery; no other addons.
- LOD slider at various settings; no change
- HDR both enabled/disabled; no change
- Oculus Rift CV1 both enabled/disabled; no change (i.e., same behavior on my 2D screen outside of VR
- Screenshots were all taken in 2D

Thanks!
~Matt

SLEW mode, runway elevation, just behind the simulated roundover, lights not visible:

SLEW mode, runway elevation, just behind the simulated roundover, about 20 feet closer than the first image, lights visible:

SLEW mode, approach elevation, just behind the simulated roundover, lights not visible. No change in lateral distance from second image.

Runway elevation, 50-100 ft away, lights visible (cropped from full non-zoomed cockpit view image):

Runway elevation, 50-100 ft away, lights barely visible (cockpit view; zoomed in):

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1403 on: May 15, 2017, 07:11:54 pm »
Hi Matt,
Thanks for your kind words!

I have already mentioned here that my Mk14 IFLOLS model was based on ancient FS2002 technology. It works very well in FSX, but in P3D... It may work and it may not.

My only suggestion is to wait for the next vLSO release, which will be compatible with the RFN FLOLS gauge which does work equally well both ib FSX and P3D. But I can't tell its ETA...  :(

Lion207

« Reply #1404 on: May 15, 2017, 09:37:32 pm »
I have already mentioned here that my Mk14 IFLOLS model was based on ancient FS2002 technology. It works very well in FSX, but in P3D... It may work and it may not.

Okay, cleary, I missed that NOTAM. My apologies. :-)  I do remember now something with the FLOLS not working on Javier's Nimitz early on when P3d 2.x was first released. I can't recall if it was a LM issue or not (it must have been, because I'm pretty sure Javier hasn't re-released the Nimitz), so it is likely something with how P3D handles the lights.

My only suggestion is to wait for the next vLSO release, which will be compatible with the RFN FLOLS gauge which does work equally well both ib FSX and P3D. But I can't tell its ETA...  :(

No worries. If something else is in the works, I'll head back out to the boat and trap there until it's ready! Thanks so much for letting me know. I really do appreciate it. And thanks for all of your work on vLSO over the years. It's been fun watching the program 'mature'. :-)

~Matt

VortexGen

« Reply #1405 on: May 17, 2017, 09:34:34 pm »
Paddles,

first of all, thank you for your amazing freeware VLSO programm, I'm having a ton of fun with it! I cannot even guess how much  effort you must have put into it.
Still making it available as freeware is very generous of you thanks!

I'm experiencing a strange issue, maybe you have an idea how to fix.I recently downlaod  the latest version v.0.9.8.8 beta and installed it successfully (or so I thought).
However I'm getting it to work correctly , in as far as Im not getting any calls by the LSO at all.
The VLSO programm window shows on the bottom, green for simconnect.dll,flightsim connections and aircraft selected .However for whatever reason, the location
does not get a green light.
I 'm using AIcarriers.net for ship placement, but the carriers don't get recognized apparently (using Javier CarriersV2). I tried the "practice carrier" option within VLSO and
after placing the carrier I got at least the initial call with  CASE and BRC information, but after that , nothing.

After that I tried again the previous version I was using (V.0.8.2.11 ) which I had still installed  and once again, everything worked as it should with all calls .

I don't know what causes this.I double checked in the options of the latest version, that "any channel" option was selected for the calls.But I think its got more to do with
the location not being detected correctly.

Do you have any ideas how I can  get the latest version to work?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Kind regards,

Oliver

oh BTW,I'm using FSX SE.If you need further details , just let me know
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:42:05 pm by VortexGen »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1406 on: May 18, 2017, 10:50:42 am »
Hi Oliver,
Unfortunately, the latest beta was full of bugs as it was a transitional and rather experimental version. So my suggestion would be to stay with any previous stable versions (0.8.*). FYI: both 0.9 and 0.8 betas are data compatible so you shouldn't lose your logbook records. Thanks for the reporting!

VortexGen

« Reply #1407 on: May 18, 2017, 08:23:22 pm »
Paddles,

thank you very much for your quick reply. Ok - No problem at all , I'll  then simply keep using the previous functioning version until
a newer,  stable built comes out.Looking forward to it.

Hope you are well,

Thank you,

Oliver

supersym

« Reply #1408 on: September 17, 2019, 08:44:25 am »
Hi !
Do you know how I can find witch joystick is assigned "1" or "2" by vLSO  for select button for activated calls  ?