Author Topic: The Cool Video Thread  (Read 249283 times)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: The Cool Video Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2012, 07:56:46 pm »
Not certain if this is new or a repeat... anyway here it is. Pic is a screengrab.

F-18 Catch and Bouncy Ride

http://www.military.com/video/aircraft/jet-fighters/f-18-catch-and-bouncy-ride/644575058001/

COMMENTS by NepLex (sadly recently killed in a Kfir 21 crash at NAS Fallon).

Rhino Cut to an IFE By lex, May 16th, 2011
PLAT LSO says:
“C: (LULX-IM) _NEPSAR_ _TT1_”
Cut Pass – A little lined-up left start-to-in-the-middle, not enough power settle at the ramp (underlined), taxi, taxi one wire (underlined)

http://www.neptunuslex.com/2011/05/16/rhino-cut-to-an-ife/
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Ost

« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2012, 08:35:30 am »
F-14 Tomcat carrier landing tutorial plus PLAT footage.

Did you notice that on the first PLAT footage, the Tomcat came aboard with a refulling basket (at 2:10) ?

Ost

Victory103

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2012, 11:50:30 am »
Short Hornet vid judging by the helmet is VFA-83 and Oceana in the background. Lots of grunting ACM action ending with a break back at NTU.

DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

GOONIE

« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2012, 06:04:16 pm »
Really good video of an A-6 taking the barricade. I've seen a shorter version of this video before, but this one is longer, and really gives you a sense of the LSO working with the pilots and Air Boss to get the crippled Intruder back on deck safely.

CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

wilycoyote4

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2012, 05:25:36 am »
Really good video of an A-6 taking the barricade. I've seen a shorter version of this video before, but this one is longer, and really gives you a sense of the LSO working with the pilots and Air Boss to get the crippled Intruder back on deck safely.

CAPT

great vid

looks to me that the boat is pitching ??
The LSO seems to take over at call-the-ball "paddles contact" after pryfly has given heading vectors in the pattern, which I think is wide, and final approach to glide path telling the pilot slight changes in bearing and altitude.

"a little more power........a little more power......cut, cut"

you can see the response ?? I think I do.

A lot to learn here.  Thanks
-----------------
A guess at time from call-the-ball to hitting the deck (vid times)
10:27 call the ball
10:32 paddles contact
10:55 cut
10:57 or 58 on deck
10:59 hit barrier

speed 120 reported by pilot on approach, wind 30 stated by LSO
I guess wind is WOD
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:47:12 am by wilycoyote4 »

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2012, 12:39:31 am »
Wily...

Good comments with the exception that its CATCC that talks him up to Paddles, not PriFly, go to 3:35 and listen to the commentary. I would also add how calm, cool, and collected Paddles is and how much that affected this whole turn of events for the better. Nothing like having that assured voice over the radio that talks you ALL THE WAY TO SHUTDOWN. Even after the barricade grab, Paddles is telling the pilot to "stay with it". That Paddles is second to none, from all the videos I've seen and heard.

Later
Sludge

wilycoyote4

« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2012, 01:02:24 am »
CATCC  -----right, it's my mistake, don't know my proper wordings.  CATCC is below the pryfly, actually below the flight deck.  CATCC ------ carrier air traffic control center.
Thanks for correcting.  I always need correcting.

Yes I've watched twice more, a bit clear now, will watch more, vid is certainly worth it, "Bug" is very unique.  Other barricade trap vids are not as interesting one could say.  I downloaded the vid and edited the excess at the end.  I can watch it when I want.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:21:59 am by wilycoyote4 »

Victory103

« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2012, 12:09:03 pm »
Great find and that is the guy you want on the other end of the radio for sure. Got to see this real life (day) on my 1st cruise on Big "E" with a VA-75 Intruder taking the barricade.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

GOONIE

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2012, 05:26:55 pm »
In case you missed this one over on the VRS forum, really good/high quality HUD video from VFA-14 Tophatters, including some HD vid of the pilot working the stick and throttle during the carrier landing.

CAPT

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2012, 10:03:31 pm »
Fellas...

Thanks to patricks aviation and the canadian airforce, you get to see a version of the F-18 simulator.

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/Enrouk/4145/

Enjoy.

Later
Sludge

MikeB54

« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2012, 04:32:43 am »
There was something in that video that really caught my eye; how high his eyepoint was in relation to the panel.  I don't remember being that high when I flew the sim.  Maybe he's just a heck of a lot taller than I am.  LOL

Mike

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2012, 05:13:40 pm »
Mike...

Yeah, the guy seems a little taller. I dont remember being that high up either, just close to the HUD panel.

Later
Sludge

GOONIE

« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2012, 06:30:46 pm »
Good thing he was wearing a helmet  :D,

Noticed he had to use two hands when in high g turns, from what I remember in the sim, this was pretty accurate, it takes a lot of force to get the stick where you want to go in high g maneuvers even with FBW. No controller for flight sim enthusiasts comes close in my opinion to those forces required or felt on the stick in the sim.

CAPT

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2012, 09:07:16 pm »
CAPT...

Noticed he had to use two hands when in high g turns, from what I remember in the sim, this was pretty accurate, it takes a lot of force to get the stick where you want to go in high g maneuvers even with FBW. No controller for flight sim enthusiasts comes close in my opinion to those forces required or felt on the stick in the sim.

x2 of what you said. My x52 definately feels like a baby's toy in comparison to the real stick. And yeah, when I did the bat turns (max G turn) to see how much the speed bled off... I put the throttle to MAX and then used both hands to pull the stick back. This is also why its soo hard to make a realistic G-Limiter, 'cause the real stick gets more resistant as you pull farther back.

And just think... the Blues ADD a 40lb spring to the stick for their demo. Better be strong.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:10:24 pm by Sludge »

micro

« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2012, 09:21:18 am »
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:23:12 am by micro »