Author Topic: Work in Progress / 05  (Read 96274 times)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Re: Work in Progress / 05
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2011, 05:37:14 am »
Well, I see what you mean about FSX vs Flight, but if Flight runs better than FSX, I don't dee why anyone would stick with FSX for a long time, (even if they have purchased many add-ons). Right now it's simple  : there is no such computer that can run FSX at ultra-high settings at major airports with add-ons and maintain a steady 30+ FPS, and that is why some still fly FS9. If you have the name of a computer that can do this, please send me a link!  ;) I have an i7 build, and still sly FS9, because even an i7 doesn't get good enough FPS on FSX for me. But I am basically echoing what you already said.

If FSX ran as good or better than FS9, no one would be using FS9 anymore, and we all know it. So, if Flight beats FSX performance, I don't see how FSX (much less FS9) can survive. But then again wouldn't that make life so much easier for Virtuali and the gang?  :D

I'm not going to lie, getting FSX to run perfectly takes more work than FS9 does with todays hardware. I mean you can take pretty much any newer computer, load FS9 and all your addons, set up your nVidia control panel, and go. Probably not much else needs to be done. FSX takes more work to set up well and get it running at high levels. In my case I am running it on an overclocked C2D at 3.85ghx, 2GB of RAM, and a 1GB OC GTS 250, far from high end compared to what is available now, however after enlisting the help of a 3rd party who specializes in FS9/FSX setups my rig runs it at what I would consider levels higher than FS9, but not completely maxed out and still manage sold FPS at major hubs with loads of AI, weather etc. What I mean when I say at levels higher than FS9 but not maxed FSX is that I can run larger amounts of autogen than what FS9 provides, higher res ground and cloud textures than FS9, 100% AI 99% of the time, some vehicle and boat traffic, etc, but not completely maxed out of what FSX can do. That being said, about the only airport that I have to tone AI down a bit is JFK and one or two of ORBX's major hubs when I am flying heavy metal. Doesn't really bother me though to trim the settings for two or three airports though since I dont live and die by KJFK or the few ORBX airports since I can still fly pretty much anywere else I want with a sim than in my opinion looks much better than FS9 does, primarly due to the ground and water textures.

I'll be frank though, the ground and water is the main reason I prefer FSX. I had FS9 on my rig up until a few months ago and while I tried to use it once in a while, after being so used to the ground/water in FSX I just couldn't enjoy it anymore, even for flights into JFK. Had I never spent so much time in FSX and got used to those ground and water textures then it would probably be a different story, but it is what it is. I'll pare back my settings if need to go to JFK, but for the majority of the rest of the world FSX with the PMDG birds and FSDT, FlyTampa, and Flightbeam sceneries work surprisingly well on what is now an antique computer.

Anyways, it will be interesting to how Flight measures up. I am optimistic that it will be an improvement, however with the track record MS has of always building these sims for the next generation of computers, it will be interesting to see if the next version will indeed run at high levels on todays hardware. If thats the case that it does, then maybe we will see the majority of the pack convert to one sim, however it's still going to take some time for our precious 3RD party sceneries and aircraft to show up to the party if backward compatibility is completely broken. If its not and FSX material can easliy be made to work then we might be all set from the start, however I have a feeling that it wont be that easy.

Say Flight come out this December for a holiday release and backward compatibilty is completely broken, it will probably be at least a year or more which would be some time in 2011 or early 2012 before new airports/aircarft start showing up. If that's the case there is no way I will even bother to get Flight until I can at least replace one or two of my favorite airliners like the 747, 737, or 767 and at least 10 or more aftermarket airports. Even then it I dont know if I could be enticed for such a small amount of content. On the other hand, say FSDT gets their hands on a copy of Flight and the SDK and finds out, hey this is simple to get FSX content ported to work in Flight and Flight is a much better sim, I will be on Flight quicker than a fly on poop if you know what I mean, lol. Hopefully that is the scenario, but it will probably be 6 months or more before we find out either way.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:39:30 am by cmpbllsjc »

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2011, 05:07:13 am »
I am one of those hpoing to go FS9>Flight and bypass FSX alltogether. For a while I was using FSX for VFR flights but have finally removed the program from my system after 2 years. I can't stand the head shaking camera or the sparse graphics. For VFR flights I have all graphics maxed out and get about a good 25FPS (60 FPS with same aircraft and scenery in FS9). Luckly, I haven't purchased any scenery or aircraft for FSX so the only loss is FSX itself. So I am quite happy with my FS9. I just hope Flight isn't a disaster or I will happly be stuck back in time with FS9....

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2011, 07:06:55 am »
Remember that aerosoft is also developing a new simulator  ;) 
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

Dimon

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2011, 12:59:19 pm »
Remember that aerosoft is also developing a new simulator  ;) 

...and I'm developing the eternal engine. ;D
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

panadar

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2011, 03:59:07 pm »
LOOKING GOOD for FSX!!!!  I am excited to finally see another quality airport for FSX.  You have a very loyal customer in me, and I am only TOO TOO happy to support you guys whenver you come out with new scenery for FSX!   I am proud to say that I have no pirated stuff on my machine!  You keep up the good work!

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2011, 04:16:49 pm »
Remember that aerosoft is also developing a new simulator  ;)  

Perhaps, but I have no hopes for it. Perhaps they are waiting to see what Flight will offer... Either way they are very quiet about it and whenever someone asks they say they cant give out information. But Flight has screenshots and video and Aerosoft has nothing whatsoever to show for the nearly 2 years or so they have been working on it... So I am up in the air on that. I just hope Flight or Aerosoft's sim doesn't feel like another video game...

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2011, 04:47:04 pm »
...and I'm developing the eternal engine. ;D

Will it work in FS9, or is it FSX only?   :D ;D

Joking aside, newmanix is right... for the length of time that has passed since the announcement of AFS, they should have something to show us, yet we've seen nothing.  I'm thinking they've secretly dropped it since the announcement of Flight.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2011, 08:26:10 pm »
Joking aside, newmanix is right... for the length of time that has passed since the announcement of AFS, they should have something to show us, yet we've seen nothing.  I'm thinking they've secretly dropped it since the announcement of Flight.

I agree. Of course, since we dont really know what is going on internally with Aerosoft it just speculation on our part, but I wouldn't hold my breath for the Aerosoft sim. I have a feeling the announcement of Flight may have put a damper on their plans. Not only that, but if they do proceed with the Aerosoft FS and Flight is also on the market at or around the same time, how many 3PDs are going to develope for it? As it stands now most of our favorite devs dont do anything for X-Plane, so I would imagine if Aerosoft has a sim on the market as well, the same devs who dont touch X-Plane probably wont touch the Aerosoft version either, which would leave FS9/FSX/Flight as the primary targets for 3PDs to develope for.

PUP4ORD

• UA777
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2011, 12:33:56 am »
It looks like the Aerosoft Simulator prospects look bleak :P Even if there was progress, Aerosoft could'nt have been that far along considering writing lines and lines of code. :-\
KENNETH M."PUP"CRADDOCK II
Ladies and Gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts for a short ride......
http://pup4ordfsxmore.blogspot.com/

ALIENWARE AURORA R4 MSWIN7 64BIT  As for the rest of it......?????????

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2011, 12:40:38 am »
It looks like the Aerosoft Simulator prospects look bleak :P Even if there was progress, Aerosoft could'nt have been that far along considering writing lines and lines of code. :-\

Kenneth U have no idea what so ever... We/you don't no what exactly AS is planing right?  ;) 
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

PUP4ORD

• UA777
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2011, 12:53:55 am »

Kenneth U have no idea what so ever... We/you don't no what exactly AS is planing right?  ;) 
I'm looking at it from a larger picture Frank. However we don't know the precise nature of how along they are. :-\
KENNETH M."PUP"CRADDOCK II
Ladies and Gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts for a short ride......
http://pup4ordfsxmore.blogspot.com/

ALIENWARE AURORA R4 MSWIN7 64BIT  As for the rest of it......?????????

cowings1588

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2011, 06:26:50 am »
For you FS9 simmers out there.. Nothing against FS9. I dearly enjoyed FS9 for as long as I flown on it & if thats what you feel you can only afford to fly on right now or want too thats cool.. It was a very good flightsim system & I enjoyed for all the times I flew on it, but it was time for me to move on & so I did..

I will say this though also.. For you FS9 simmers, should FSDT decide not too do LAX for some reason, It may not be FSDT quality but there is an LAX for FS9 out & its made by BluePrint Simulations who still does great work on there scenery, you just won't have activated jetways like you do with FSDT but atleast you'll have LAX for FS9...
COA
Bill

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2011, 08:04:37 am »
For you FS9 simmers out there.. Nothing against FS9. I dearly enjoyed FS9 for as long as I flown on it & if thats what you feel you can only afford to fly on right now or want too thats cool.. It was a very good flightsim system & I enjoyed for all the times I flew on it, but it was time for me to move on & so I did..

I will say this though also.. For you FS9 simmers, should FSDT decide not too do LAX for some reason, It may not be FSDT quality but there is an LAX for FS9 out & its made by BluePrint Simulations who still does great work on there scenery, you just won't have activated jetways like you do with FSDT but atleast you'll have LAX for FS9...

Too bad this isn't the FT forum so I will just say. NOOB  ::) How dare you promote BP in this forum.

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2011, 08:16:10 am »

Too bad this isn't the FT forum so I will just say. NOOB  ::) How dare you promote BP in this forum.

I thought about comment this one, but then again...It's not worth an comment. But I'm with U on this one Newmanix.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2011, 02:59:04 pm »
...there is an LAX for FS9 out & its made by BluePrint Simulations who still does great work on there scenery, you just won't have activated jetways like you do with FSDT but atleast you'll have LAX for FS9...

The old Cloud9 version is far superior to the Blueprint version, and it's an FSDT product.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock