Author Topic: Transfering to FSX Steam  (Read 2625 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Transfering to FSX Steam
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2022, 11:14:41 am »
I don't know what is wrong.  For whatever reasons,  my add-ons are not installing in FSX Steam.

The most likely cause of this, is your registry messed up, because you first installed FSX:Steam when the original FSX was still installed ( or not properly uninstalled ), so FSX:Steam installed itself in "Side-by-side" mode, that is made to work together with the original FSX.

Then, you must have removed the original FSX, by without reinstalling FSX:Steam, so it still running in that mode, but there's no FSX anymore.

The correct procedure to switch from FSX to FSX:Steam, which unfortunately not many users follow is:

- Remove the original FSX first. Not manually, of course, by using the standard Uninstaller

- Install FSX:Steam that, since FSX is not found anymore at this time, will install itself in "Stand-alone" mode, that is using the same registry keys as the original FSX.

- RUN FSX:Steam at least once BEFORE installing ANY add-on. THIS is important, because is at this time that registry keys are set, if you start installing add-ons before you run it once, the registry keys are still missing, so every add-on installation will likely fail, or will install stuff in default folders made for the original FSX

Have a look at this thread, which explains how the registry keys should be on a properly installed FSX:Steam:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,13998.msg105549.html#msg105549

Cfoley

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2022, 11:32:14 am »
FSX is not installed on my new computer, only FSX Steam.  As I mentioned before, FSX would not install on my new computer.

Cfoley
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 11:38:20 am by Cfoley »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2022, 11:40:25 am »
FSX is not installed on my new computer, only FSX Steam.  As I mentioned before, FSX would not install on my new computer.

If you are sure the original FSX was *never* installed at any time, not even in a previous Windows installation you might have upgraded from, then FSX:Steam should be installed correctly.

However, fact both GSX and the QW757 are not working, seems to indicate a problem, possibly related to system libraries or Simconnect.

Maybe one of the add-ons you installed is using a very old Simconnect version ( there a 3 different versions in FSX ) and because of this, FSX is "stuck" with that version, which is preventing other add-ons like GSX or the QW757, which instead use a newer version, to work. This was reported to be happening, and it was a consequence of the very tricky Windows "Side-by-side" .DLL loading method, which in theory ( when it works ), should allow multiple programs requiring different versions of the same .DLL to run at the same time, but when it doesn't work, it's a nightmare trying to fix it.

The Level-D module running, with no aircraft available, also seems to indicate some problem.

Fact is, you are using a product that came out in 2006, updated in 2007, and marginally fixed in 2014 with the Steam version, I really strongly suggest, if you have a new computer, to check MSFS 2020 instead.

Cfoley

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2022, 05:22:22 pm »
I checked my program apps and the only things in my computer besides Microsoft FSX Steam is the following:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X Service Pack 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator Simmconnect Client V10.0
Microsoft Flight Simulator Simmconnect Client V2.46
Microsoft Flight Simulator Simmconnect Client V1

Would any of these be the cause of my problems?

Cfoley
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 05:27:49 pm by Cfoley »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2022, 05:43:24 pm »
I checked my program apps and the only things in my computer besides Microsoft FSX Steam is the following: Microsoft Flight Simulator X Service Pack 2

This is already an indication of a problem, and it's tells you DID had the original FSX installed in this PC at some time, then you must have removed it, but left remains of the Service Pack installed.

On a fresh Windows install, if you install just FSX:Steam, you are not supposed to see the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Service Pack 2", because FSX:Steam is single install of a newer version that doesn't use or require the SP2.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Simmconnect Client V10.0
Microsoft Flight Simulator Simmconnect Client V2.46
Microsoft Flight Simulator Simmconnect Client V1

All these version numbers looks wrong. The 1st one a bit less wrong than the other, because you should see the correct version, like v10.0.61259.0, but the others looks completely foreign to me, are they maybe coming from very old P3D version in 32 bit ? 64 bit P3D doesn't need a separate Simconnect client.

Cfoley

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 06:14:04 pm »
Here are the complete Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Clients that are in my computer:

V10.0.60905.0
V10.0.61259.0
V.10.0.62615.0
V10.0.61242.0

I don't know if any of these are bad or not, or remember how they got there.
CFoley

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2022, 06:27:40 pm »
You have all the versions that ever came out in FSX history:

V10.0.60905.0 - Simconnect from the Original FSX from 2006
V10.0.61259.0 - Simconnect from FSX Acceleration Pack or SP2
V.10.0.62615.0 - Simconnect from FSX:Steam
V10.0.61242.0 - Simconnect from the FSX SP1

GSX *requires* V10.0.61259.0 as minimum, but I guess it should work with just the later one from Steam. However, it's the older ones that might possibly cause problems, since sometimes those side-by-side libraries don't work all together as they should.

The issue is, you said this is a new computer: how you could possibly have remnants of previous FSX installations, dating back to 2006 ? They might have been installed by some add-ons, one that has been made for such old versions, which might well cause issues.

You can TRY uninstalling the oldest ones, V10.0.60905.0  and V10.0.61242.0, but I can't guaranteed it will work, because uninstalling Side-by-side libraries can be very complex, sometimes it's impossible without booting in Windows Safe mode so, if your system is really new, it might easier to just reinstall Windows...

Cfoley

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2022, 08:28:15 pm »
Reinstalling windows is something I will not do, and don't know how to do.  I don't need more problems added on top of another.  When I  purchased my new computer,  I had Zinstall transfer everything over from my old Windows 7 computer to my Windows 10.   If it comes to having to reinstall windows,  my flight simulation days are over.  I will not do it.

CFoley
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 09:39:52 pm by Cfoley »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 11:08:21 pm »
When I  purchased my new computer,  I had Zinstall transfer everything over from my old Windows 7 computer to my Windows 10.   If it comes to having to reinstall windows,  my flight simulation days are over.  I will not do it.

Your saying "it's a new computer" mislead me into assuming you also had a clean Windows install with a clean FSX:Steam installation. Now I understand your new computer has just inherited all the past baggage from years of updates and related problems.

When you'll finally do what you'll eventually end up doing sooner or later for other reasons (reinstalling Windows), I'm sure you'll notice how snappy your new computer will feel like.

Cfoley

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2022, 11:37:09 pm »
I will never be reinstalling Windows because I have other programs and files as well, not just FSX.  That is why I used Zinstall to begin with.  That would destroy all my years of work I put into it.  I will have to sacrifice flight simulation if I have to in order to protect my non-flight simulation programs and files.  Thanks for all your help, but there is not much that can be done now.

Cfoley
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 12:06:10 am by Cfoley »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2022, 12:38:49 am »
I will never be reinstalling Windows because I have other programs and files as well, not just FSX.  That is why I used Zinstall to begin with.  That would destroy all my years of work I put into it. 

You don't have to lose your work, because documents created by you can surely be saved separately and restored later in a new a Windows installation, there are many ways to do that.

Assuming that a Windows reinstall will wipe any of you own work is precisely what has caused your FSX installation to be messed up.

While I'm not that extreme, one of my colleagues at FSDT reinstall Windows basically after every new major project completed, or he reinstall it just because he made major hardware upgrades, and those always works best on a full reinstall. I reinstall usually every couple of years.

We obviously have TONS of VERY valuable work that needs to be transferred, never lost a file once.

Cfoley

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2022, 03:00:43 am »
I went ahead an uninstalled everything that was Microsoft FSX and Steam, including all the SimConnect apps.

Cfoley

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2022, 10:03:40 pm »
FSX will not uninstall.  I quit.

gaumond

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2022, 12:46:55 am »
I really hate to break this to you but you should really do a proper backup and clean install of windows and FSX. I get it sucks and its a royal pain but migrating complex software from one OS to another OS is just asking for issues, which you have encountered.

Also I don't understand why you cant get FSX to install on Win10, it may also be related to the fact that you migrated from another PC.

One thing you can do is get another SSD and swap it out with the your existing, or disable it with bios temporarily. You can install Win 10 or 11 fresh on that drive and reinstall FSX, your other programs, and everything else and see how you fair. You'll have the old one as a backup and if all goes smoothly you can then reformat and use that as a second drive after you copy over your data files.

Cfoley

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2022, 06:20:49 am »
I am not an IT expert.  I am through with this. Thanks for the suggestions though.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 06:27:50 am by Cfoley »