Author Topic: GSX has stopped working in FSX-SE  (Read 23226 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX has stopped working in FSX-SE
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 11:59:05 pm »
I've done all that - no change I'm afraid

You haven't replied to this step:

- Note if FSX asks permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl programs, reply YES to both. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS.

Of course, I assume you REALLY did all the steps, without missing a single one. Especially without missing THIS one:

- Go into Control Panel, Uninstall GSX and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl script engine ?"

If you haven't replied YES to both questions, then my previous question "Note if FSX asks permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl programs" becomes useless.

If you are not sure you done this, do it again. Be sure you DO reply YES to both question and note if FSX asks permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl programs.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:01:09 am by virtuali »

jtbetteridge

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 11:58:23 am »
Thanks.
I'm sure I did all those steps carefully.
I will do them all again to be absolutely sure!

One thing I am unsure about is the instructions on registry.  You say:

"As I've said, the correct situation with ONLY FSX:SE installed is to have the FSX:SE key REMOVED:

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0

And the FSX registry key:

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Pointing to the FSX:SE installation folder. This is a CORRECT registry for an FSX:SE installed with no FSX."

I did this, but I just checked in regedit and both files Flight Simulator\10.0 AND Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0 are present.  Is this wrong?  I haven't done anything other than follow your instructions.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 01:50:11 pm »
I did this, but I just checked in regedit and both files Flight Simulator\10.0 AND Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0 are present.  Is this wrong?

Yes, it's wrong. The error is the 10.0 folder, which shouldn't exists if you have ONLY FSX:SE installed and no FSX. You should remove the 10.0 folder only, no need to remove the whole key.

In any case, the *current* GSX installer is able to deal with the problem too, so if you are sure you are using the current full installer, it shouldn't be fooled anymore by this erroneous condition, so it's should be necessary to edit the registry. But I'd do it anyway, because that folder shouldn't be there, so it might confuse other installers.

jtbetteridge

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2016, 06:17:34 pm »
Which 10.0 folder should I delete?  the FSX one or the FSX - Steam one?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2016, 07:23:07 pm »
Which 10.0 folder should I delete?  the FSX one or the FSX - Steam one?

From your previous message here, which quoted mine:

As I've said, the correct situation with ONLY FSX:SE installed is to have the FSX:SE key REMOVED:

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0

And from my previous reply, just to be sure you do it correctly:

You should remove the 10.0 folder only, no need to remove the whole key.

jtbetteridge

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2016, 03:03:02 pm »
OK I did all that, reloaded GSX and when I started the FSX SE it looked good, asking permission to run the Addon Manager and Coatl programmes, which I answered yes.  Then FSX crashed.  Restart, and I get the following warning on an Error screen:

Flight Simulator has detected a problem with a third party software programme:
Name: bglmanx DLL
Version 3,0,0,17

Do you want to run this software (not recommended)

So I clicked "yes" because I know it's your programme, and FSX crashes again.

What next?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2016, 03:29:52 pm »
So I clicked "yes" because I know it's your programme, and FSX crashes again.

It's an error that appears randomly for many 3rd party modules, see a possible fix here:

http://fscaptain.proboards.com/thread/1523

Of course, in your case, the key will contain  $ IgnoreFreeLibrary<bglmanx.dll>, but the solution doesn't change. Remove the key related to FSX.EXE in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:05:05 am by virtuali »

jtbetteridge

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2016, 05:05:59 pm »
There's nothing in that folder referring to FSX SE.

What seems to be happening though is the 10.0 folder keeps re-appearing in the other folder even after I've deleted it

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2016, 07:04:19 pm »
What seems to be happening though is the 10.0 folder keeps re-appearing in the other folder even after I've deleted it

This seems to be caused by another addon that mistakenly tries to "fool" FSX:SE to look as if it was FSX, maybe to fix some other compatibility problem.

Unless, of course, you DO have BOTH FSX and FSX:SE installed so, as I've already explained in all my previous explanations, it's correct having both folders active, so you shouldn't remove anything.

jtbetteridge

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2016, 05:31:29 am »
No, I uninstalled FSX before installing FSX SE.

Could it be Active Sky Next?  I installed SP5 about a week before I reported this problem to you?

Having said that, I went back and deleted the FSX SE\10.0 folder and then I just tried to start FSX SE without ASN strated and it crashed immediately.  I restarted FSX SE and it came up with the bglmanx warning.  So I then went and checked the registry and there was the FSX SE\10.0 folder again.

It seems that FSX Steam is relying on a FSXSE\10.0 path to launch.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:44:46 am by jtbetteridge »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2016, 01:25:37 pm »
It seems that FSX Steam is relying on a FSXSE\10.0 path to launch.

As I've said, you DO have BOTH FSX and FSX:SE installed. But in that case, the correct registry should be different: the FSX registry keys pointing to FSX and the FSX:SE registry keys pointing to FSX:SE

Under NO circumstances, BOTH registry keys should point to the same folder!

I'll repeat it AGAIN:

The correct situation with ONLY FSX:SE installed is to have the FSX:SE\10.0 key REMOVED:

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0  ONLY the "10.0" should be removed!

And the FSX registry key:

Pointing to the FSX:SE installation folder. This is a CORRECT registry for an FSX:SE installed with no FSX

If, instead, you have BOTH FSX and FSX:SE installed, the CORRECT registry should be:

the FSX registry key:

pointing to the FSX folder

and the FSX:SE registry key:

pointing to the FSX:SE folder

jtbetteridge

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2016, 04:18:42 pm »
I do not have both installed!

I uninstalled FSX following the instructions on Steam website in March before I installed FSX SE.

I have had GSX since 5 February 2013, and it was fine in the FSX system and then worked fine with FSX SE until the end of June.

Since then we've been having a long email exchange but it still doesn't work.

Maybe I haven't understood you correctly somewhere, but I've followed all your instructions carefully.

You keep referring to the registry, and it seems there must be something wrong there, but every time I delete the files you refer to they come back.  When the FSX SE\10.0 folder is deleted, FSX SE just crashes out so maybe it should be pointing at that folder!?  I'm sure you are right in what you are telling me, but it isn't working for some reason.

jtbetteridge

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2016, 04:37:55 pm »
The other thing is that every time I start FSX SE now the warning about bglmanx.dll appears.

The fix you sent me didn't work because the path wasn't there - any other ideas, because it looks like FSX SE must be seeing GSX every time, but it's blocking that file..?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2016, 03:53:30 pm »
The fix you sent me didn't work because the path wasn't there - any other ideas, because it looks like FSX SE must be seeing GSX every time, but it's blocking that file..?

check if you are running FSX in any of the “Compatibility” modes, like XP or Vista or Windows 7/8, under Windows 10

No Compatibility mode should be enabled for the FSX.EXE file, which is how FSX defaults to.

jtbetteridge

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »
can you help me by telling me how to check that?