Author Topic: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update March 21st 2024  (Read 145067 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update March 3rd, 2023.
« Reply #300 on: March 10, 2023, 08:50:44 am »
Umberto, maybe you forget to update this thread, as far as I know, the actual Offline installer version is not March 3rd, 2023, but March 5rd, 2023.

Yes, I forgot to update the thread, although the Offline executable is updated.

But more on that, I'm curious to know why you are still depending on the Offline update:

Are you STILL being sure your local cloudflare node is outdated, so you keep getting the Live Update downloading the same files over and over (other than the ones that *are* supposed to be always downloaded, as in the 1st post instructions ), so you are forced to use the Offline installer to get them ?

I'm asking just to be sure you are aware the Offline updater should only installed as a last resort and *after* running the Live Update and realizing you might not have the latest files, and not as a replacement for the Live Update, because it's doesn't contain every new file, just the main core of the GSX code.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 08:52:34 am by virtuali »

jkanold

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update March 21st, 2023.
« Reply #301 on: March 23, 2023, 12:42:42 pm »
THX for the fix. Was getting frustrated with the Couatl error msg and a never ending swirling Loading GSX Menu pls wait. Works fine now.

ACSoft

« Reply #302 on: March 25, 2023, 11:35:50 am »
But more on that, I'm curious to know why you are still depending on the Offline update:

Are you STILL being sure your local cloudflare node is outdated, so you keep getting the Live Update downloading the same files over and over (other than the ones that *are* supposed to be always downloaded, as in the 1st post instructions ), so you are forced to use the Offline installer to get them ?
I is very simple, I took the habit to first, use the "FSDT Universal Installer" to update and then AFTER, to always run the last version of your "OFFLINE Installer" I have just downloaded, without anymore, to even try to understand/check if the Universal Installer has fully or not fully installed the last version (local cloudflare outdated or not).

Why I am doing that way ? Because, your system is so nebulous, without any clear & explicit feed back's for both Install & Check functions, that doing that way, I am almost sure to have the last version, fully and properly installed.

OK, since some versions, this Universal Installer has a version and a button "Update/Check". But when I press "Check" the program behave like if it update stuff's (writing a lot of time the "update" word in its actions descriptions, which are a lot, almost like a regular update, in fact) and NEVER say, at the end "Your local cloudflare and installed version is complete and up to date", which is what I would expect from a "Check" function.

I'm asking just to be sure you are aware the Offline updater should only installed as a last resort and *after* running the Live Update and realizing you might not have the latest files, and not as a replacement for the Live Update, because it's doesn't contain every new file, just the main core of the GSX code.
As I just explained before, I fully take in account what you explain here.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #303 on: March 27, 2023, 11:01:36 am »
I is very simple, I took the habit to first, use the "FSDT Universal Installer" to update and then AFTER, to always run the last version of your "OFFLINE Installer" I have just downloaded, without anymore, to even try to understand/check if the Universal Installer has fully or not fully installed the last version (local cloudflare outdated or not).

That exactly what the instructions here are saying, run it after the Live Update.

Your version of the procedure is different only because you don't want to pay notice if the some files (other then the ones the instructions say are always supposed to be redownloaded ) are getting re-downloaded over and over, which would be a symptom your local node is not updated, so you always use the offline installer.

No problem with that, it will surely work, the only thing you'll risk is to download the offline installer when there wasn't any reason to do so, but it will always work.

? Because, your system is so nebulous, without any clear & explicit feed back's for both Install & Check functions, that doing that way, I am almost sure to have the last version, fully and properly installed.

The system is very clear and in fact, you are confirming yourself you are getting it, at least the part that running the Offline installer as the last thing to do will get you the latest version of the code. You still seem to have issues about the next part, the one below: understanding when you don't need it.

OK, since some versions, this Universal Installer has a version and a button "Update/Check". But when I press "Check" the program behave like if it update stuff's (writing a lot of time the "update" word in its actions descriptions, which are a lot, almost like a regular update, in fact) and NEVER say, at the end "Your local cloudflare and installed version is complete and up to date", which is what I would expect from a "Check" function.

You making it sound as if this is a problem. The button is just NAMED "Check", but what it does it's always an "Update", meaning the code it runs when you click it is exactly the same.

It's like this following users suggestions, who in the previous version ( which always said "Update" ), were confused by assuming that, when they saw "Update", it was some kind of notification of a new version, so we had to explain than no, the button wasn't an indication of some status, it was just a way to start a update Check. Now, it says "Update" only when the version you have doesn't match what's on the server, and it goes to "Check" if the match so yes, now it also indicates an "Update is available".

But again, it's running exactly the same code.

You said you are being confused by the usage of the "update" words in the action *description*. Not sure how exactly the program would be easier to understand if the description started with "checking if there's an update for", other than taking more screen space and giving less time to read it.

But that's besides the point. The point is, to understand if your local cloudflare node *might* have a problem, which would require to use the Offline installer, the instructions here clearly said to pay attention to what is being DOWNLOADED, and it clearly indicates 3 categories of files that will always be downloaded, under the big, bold "IMPORTANT NOTE" heading which I'll copy it again here:

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Airport Services and Jetways sceneries ZIP files are supposed to be always downloaded, this is normal. Those kind of files are thousands of very small files that compress very well, so we found it was faster to always redownload them as single ZIP files, then check thousands of individual files if they are in need of an update.

Unencrypted versions of FSDT airport files for FSDT sceneries bought on the MS Marketplace will also be downloaded every time, this is also normal.

Instead of the action description, you should pay attention to the log that is happening below the progress bars, and the keyword here is DOWNLOADING

So, putting together the previous informations, it becomes very easy knowing if you need the Offline installer or not:

- Do you see any files OTHER then the The Airport Services, the Jetways ZIP files and FSDT GSX profiles being DOWNLOADED over and over, even if you run the Live Update twice in a row ?

- If YES, then you NEED the Offline installer, because your local cloudflare node hasn't been updated yet.

- If NO, your local node is up to date, so you don't need the Offline installer.

HeicoH

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update March 24th, 2023
« Reply #304 on: March 27, 2023, 11:14:39 am »
@Umberto:

You write:
"Unencrypted versions of FSDT airport files for FSDT sceneries bought on the MS Marketplace will also be downloaded every time, this is also normal."

But:
On my system, the Live Updater as well as the Universal Installer ALWAYS downloads unencrypted versions of FSDT airport files for FSDT sceneries, although I bought them directly from your store.
Is this also "normal"?
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2023, 11:23:56 am »
On my system, the Live Updater as well as the Universal Installer ALWAYS downloads unencrypted versions of FSDT airport files for FSDT sceneries, although I bought them directly from your store.Is this also "normal"?

It's normal, it just made the code simpler, and it's ready in case we'll ever reintroduce a smaller version of the old "airport cache" method, one that will use the Navdata API for everything, but will read a custom .BGL ONLY from the %APPDATA% folder ( not the whole Community ), to leave open the chance for profile authors to override the scenery own .BGL with a custom version made for GSX.

ACSoft

« Reply #306 on: March 27, 2023, 12:36:01 pm »
That exactly what the instructions here are saying, run it after the Live Update.

Your version of the procedure is different only because you don't want to pay notice if the some files (other then the ones the instructions say are always supposed to be redownloaded ) are getting re-downloaded over and over, which would be a symptom your local node is not updated, so you always use the offline installer.

No problem with that, it will surely work, the only thing you'll risk is to download the offline installer when there wasn't any reason to do so, but it will always work.

You are right, I don't want to pay notice if the some files (other then the ones the instructions say are always supposed to be redownloaded) are getting re-downloaded over and over. I found much more easy and rapid to just download the OFFLINE installer file, corresponding to the update and to apply it.

And you say that "the system is very clear" !!! I died laughing !!! Do-you see the length of the previous quote ?

Moreover, you precise what I was suspecting already, that "check", in fact, does exactly the same as "update". Incredible !!! Probably, you will say now that this is very clever and subtle ! I am speechless !

Sorry, Umberto, I persist and sign. Your system is very nebulous, not explicit at all and very badly designed.

It is is not our duty to check if some file are downloaded and re-downloaded. This was acceptable in the beginning of this problem with local cloudflare node and if you name a button "Check" it must perform a REAL check. You have to found the way, on your side, that your updater code is able to perform a real check, that everthing is OK !

The day your "Check" will be a REAL CHECK, I will use it, instead of using systematically your OFFLINE Installer.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 12:42:35 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #307 on: March 27, 2023, 12:41:37 pm »
And you say that "the system is very clear" !!! I died laughing !!! Do-you see the length of the previous quote ?

The length of the explanation was only caused by your previous lack of understanding how it works, and my bad habit of being extremely through in my explanations, it doesn't have anything to do with the system itself.

In fact, if you remove the EXPLANATION, it goes down to just 3 LINES:

- Do you see any files OTHER then the The Airport Services, the Jetways ZIP files and FSDT GSX profiles being DOWNLOADED over and over, even if you run the Live Update twice in a row ?

- If YES, then you NEED the Offline installer, because your local cloudflare node hasn't been updated yet.

- If NO, your local node is up to date, so you don't need the Offline installer.

And that's it.

Moreover, you precise what I was suspecting already, that "check", in fact, does exactly the same as "update". Incredible !!! Probably, you will say now that this is very clever and subtle ! I am speechless !

That's what I always said even before, when it always read "Update". Some people found confusing it always read "Update", and suggested to change it into "Check", and we always listed to user suggestions, when they make sense.

It is is not our duty to check if some file are downloaded and re-downloaded. This was acceptable in the beginning of this problem with local cloudflare node and if you name a button "Check" it must perform a REAL check. You have to found the way, on your side, that your updater code is able to

The day your "Check" will be a REAL CHECK, I will use it, instead of using systematically your OFFLINE Installer

It's precisely because the check IS A REAL CHECK, that is is verifying each file, one by one, to be the correct one, that you are even a CHANCE to KNOW there might be a problem with the downloaded file.

If it wasn't, you won't have any clue that something wasn't the latest version, it would surely make the check way faster ( since it wouldn't be a "real check" as it is now ), and you would be sure to have "the latest version", just because the version number matched.

It is is not our duty to check if some file are downloaded and re-downloaded.

Amongst all the thing you said, this is the the only one that makes some sense. I think the software can be updated to do this check for you, so it can at least alert you if something is wrong with the files online, not being the one to be expected.

This was acceptable in the beginning of this problem with local cloudflare node

No. There will always be some delay, you cannot obviously expect 270+ nodes all getting in sync "immediately", the only difference is "in the beginning", we released so many files, that it took longer than normal for all of them to catch up, but they eventually did.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 12:45:53 pm by virtuali »

HeicoH

« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2023, 12:53:46 pm »
This whole discussion would be unnecessary, if only you, FSDT, gave us, the users, a decent installer, updater respectively. Meaning in this case: give us checkboxes to decide wether or not we want to download the jetways, the services, the unencrypted airport files.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 01:02:32 pm by HeicoH »
Sandbox environment
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2023, 01:18:52 pm »
This whole discussion would be unnecessary, if only you, FSDT, gave us, the users, a decent installer, updater respectively. Meaning in this case: give us checkboxes to decide wether or not we want to download the jetways, the services, the unencrypted airport files.

It's not you that can possibly know or are supposed to know if those (or anything else for that matter ) that need an update or not.

HeicoH

« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2023, 01:23:07 pm »
"It's not you that can possibly know or are supposed to know if those (or anything else for that matter ) that need an update or not."

It is obviously also not the updater that knows it, otherwise it was not necessary to download those files all the time.
Sandbox environment
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic

ACSoft

« Reply #311 on: March 27, 2023, 01:28:49 pm »
Umberto the polemist is back !  ;D ! And today, like Lucky Luke, he shoots faster than his shadow !  ;D

The length of the explanation was only caused by your previous lack of understanding how it works, and my bad habit of being extremely through in my explanations, it doesn't have anything to do with the system itself.

Where can-you deduct in my initial answer to YOUR question, that I don't understand how it work ? I just explained why I systematically use your last OFFLINE installer version, after having performed an update from the "FSDT Live Installer".

For all the rest of your polemic, I just repeat that I DO NOT AGREE AT ALL with all your nebulous explanation.

A correct check procedure would be a code with perform the following feedback's on the user display:

- Ckecking, please wait, this procedure may take some minutes...

Then the display of some progress bar and finally, at the end:

- Your installed version is OK and fully up to date.

Or, of course, if it is not the case and unfortunately the "check" function detected some problems, the best description of all problems found and the best way to remedy.

Now, Umberto, can we stop with this steril polemic ? You have probably better things to do than to loose your time with me.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #312 on: March 27, 2023, 01:51:02 pm »
Where can-you deduct in my initial answer to YOUR question, that I don't understand how it work ? I just explained why I systematically use your last OFFLINE installer version, after having performed an update from the "FSDT Live Installer".

Precisely from the fact you "systematically" always use the Offline installer, when it's more likely you don't have to. That indicates you either haven't fully understood HOW to know if you need it or not, or you like to waste time doing a procedure that might not always required. In fact, most of the time is not. In fact, a few days after an update, it never is, because cloudflare nodes always catch up.

Don't you find telling that, these discussions ONLY came out after some update ? If we never had updates for a while, nobody would ever question how the Live Update works because, when all cloudflare nodes eventually catch up everywhere, the operation is obviously flawless. This is a fact.

For all the rest of your polemic, I just repeat that I DO NOT AGREE AT ALL with all your nebulous explanation.

Fact you don't agree with it, doesn't make the explanation "nebulous".

Now, Umberto, can we stop with this steril polemic ? You have probably better things to do than to loose your time with me.

You should have stopped here, when I said:

Amongst all the things you said, this is the the only one that makes some sense. I think the software can be updated to do this check for you, so it can at least alert you if something is wrong with the files online, not being the one to be expected.

That's because, opposite to you, I'm willing to find the good bits in what you wrote, instead of making a blanket statement like "I DO NOT AGREE AT ALL". I also don't agree to ALMOST all you wrote, but THIS suggestion I can take.

ACSoft

« Reply #313 on: March 27, 2023, 03:13:13 pm »
Precisely from the fact you "systematically" always use the Offline installer, when it's more likely you don't have to.
That does not mean AT ALL that I didn't understood since long, the mess of your update system.

AGAIN, I just consider it is much more simple for me, to systematically download and execute your OFFLINE installer after an update, rather than to perform your proposed check procedure in order to be sure that they are no installation/update problem. Is is my right to proceed that way, yes or no ?

You asked to me, why I was doing that way, I answered to you, so now, PLEASE, let me in peace and don't start to say to me now, that it is me who should have stopped this polemic at some point !!!

That is incredible ! YOU started this polemic after my answer, with pure suppositions, most of them, unkind to me and I should have accepted that ?!?

You better put all that energy into seriously reviewing this whole update system.

>:(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #314 on: March 27, 2023, 03:21:30 pm »
That does not mean AT ALL that I didn't understood since long, the mess of your update system.

And that's precisely why I put both an "EITHER" and an "OR" in my sentence:

That indicates you either haven't fully understood HOW to know if you need it or not, or you like to waste time doing a procedure that might not always required.

Is is my right to proceed that way, yes or no ?

Sure, it seems you are denying my right to explain you might not have to and, most of the time, you are just wasting your time.

You better put all that energy into seriously reviewing this whole update system.

There's no need to "seriously" reviewing anything, since it's works perfectly fine and, as I've said, the only improvement where I could take the only suggestion you made that ever made some sense, is just doing the check for "which files I need to check to know if my node is outdated" automatically.