Author Topic: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update March 21st 2024  (Read 140934 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Jan 21st 2023
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2023, 07:04:48 pm »
why after updating both via installer and offline, I always have this awful graphics?

Opinions...

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,29006.msg188831.html#msg188831

Currently the menu colors are: msfs2020 blue for service requests, and yellow for the menu title. These colors give a look of children's play and are not to my taste.I would very much like to change these colors to replace them with gray like on P3D. This will give a much more professional and less gamy look.

pinolo1978

« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2023, 07:35:05 pm »
precisely, opinions and I find it disconcerting that for the request of a single user, I have to find a graphic that is nothing short of horrendous, you could have at least given the way to change it to those who don't like it and I don't like it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 07:39:26 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #272 on: January 22, 2023, 07:50:38 pm »
precisely, opinions and I find it disconcerting that for the request of a single user, I have to find a graphic that is nothing short of horrendous

Even if it was just one user ( not really, it was the only one I found searching here, but there are others who commented favorably to the new menu ), I think that user had a point:

if you change the default color theme in MSFS, the previous menu would look very out of place and, the more colors you put in it, the more you risk of bad taste. So, you can't go wrong with Grey...

And yes, your comment, which is the first one finding it "horrendous", is suggesting might might need to consider as least two options.

pinolo1978

« Reply #273 on: January 22, 2023, 08:12:37 pm »
yes, as I wrote before, it would be a good thing to have a choice between 2 menus, so we would all be happy.

Richard1000

« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2023, 09:41:58 am »
Hi
You are not up to date!
Richard

HeicoH

« Reply #275 on: January 27, 2023, 09:39:57 am »
When will you upload the offline updater vor 2.2.3?
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #276 on: January 30, 2023, 04:29:46 pm »
When will you upload the offline updater vor 2.2.3?

It has always been online since it came out on the Live Update. Google, as usual, is taking days to rectify its usual mistake or flagging it as a threat, but the other link is fine and updated.

moxiejeff

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Feb 13th, 2023
« Reply #277 on: February 15, 2023, 12:26:24 am »
Umberto -- job well done on these updates. THANK YOU!

HeicoH

« Reply #278 on: February 15, 2023, 09:34:20 am »
When will you upload the offline updater for 2.2.7 to Mediafire? The upload date is marked as 13 Feb.

13 Feb came 2.2.4.
2.2.5, 2.2.6 and 2.2.7 came 14 Feb. I cannot use the installer nor the live updater, because the mirror cloud server does not deliver the respective versions correctly.

And please include in the file name of the offline installer the version number, so one can see if it matches the version numer the installer indicates as "latest".
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 10:23:46 am by HeicoH »
Sandbox environment
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #279 on: February 15, 2023, 10:33:45 am »
When will you upload the offline updater for 2.2.7 to Mediafire? The upload date is marked as 13 Feb.

It's not needed, since as clearly explained in the offline installer instructions, the offline installer only contains GSX code changes, not changes to models/textures. There hasn't been any code changes from 2.2.6, the one and only change in 2.2.7 was the renaming the Ryanair Blue texture so it won't conflict with the base Blue texture, so that requires the Live Update to be applied.

Since the offline installer instructions clearly say you are always required to run the Live Update FIRST and THEN run the Offline installer ( and ONLY if you suspect your local cloudflare node might have not been updated, and the instructions also say which files to look for to know it hasn't ), you are supposed to get the fixed texture in any case, assuming you followed the offline installer instructions.

HeicoH

« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2023, 10:43:52 am »
"you are always required to run the Live Update FIRST and THEN run the Offline installer ( and ONLY if you suspect your local cloudflare node might have not been updated, and the instructions also say which files to look for to know it hasn't )"

This is exactly what I did.

The installer and the live updater keep on trying to download files which do not belong to the file that ALWAYS have to be updates (GSX World)

Still: 2.2.6 is dated 14 Feb, the offline updater is dates 13 Feb, meaning it cannot contain the code of 2.2.6.
Sandbox environment
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2023, 11:07:13 am »
The installer and the live updater keep on trying to download files which do not belong to the file that ALWAYS have to be updates (GSX World)

If your local cloudflare node hasn't updated files that are not included in the offline installer, the offline cannot obviously help you with it. You just need to do the update again later, when the node has replicated all the latest files.

Still: 2.2.6 is dated 14 Feb, the offline updater is dates 13 Feb, meaning it cannot contain the code of 2.2.6.

I tried to explain this so many times, yet some people still don't get it. Showing a version number and, more importantly, trusting a version number, is completely useless.

The version number is just a number stored in the manifest.json file, it changes when we set it to change, and you see it on your installation as long you get the right manifest.json file, and THAT'S why I kept saying adding a version number is not very useful without a complete check of each and every OTHER file of the installation, which of course the installer always did and it does it identically now, the only difference is that version number is shown now, because users asked for it, and ignored all my explanations that seeing a latest version number might give you a false sense of security, because nothing would guarantee you have all the latest files if you have the latest version number shown (it would only guarantee you have the latest version of the manifest.json ), and at the same time, NOT seeing the latest version number won't necessarily mean you don't have the latest version of the code, which is what happens to you know.

I'll try to explain it in a simpler way:

- If you see the latest version shown, but your local cloudflare node hasn't got the latest updates, you DO NOT have the latest version of everything: you surely have the latest version of the manifest.json file so, at best, we know you at least TRIED running the Live Update but, if some files are not the latest version because the *download* is wrong, the Live Update can't do much other than TRYING AGAIN downloading them the next time.

- If you don't see the latest version, but you ran the Offline installer, you can be sure you have the latest version of the GSX CODE, which is the most important thing to have, if only to prevent the more serious bugs. However, if the files not yet updated on cloudflare are NOT part of the code ( like in this case ), they are not contained in the Offline installer, so your only chance to get them is to run the Live Update again.

Since the manifest.json in the offline installer has 2.2.6 as a version, it's entirely normal you would see that version there, but that doesn't mean you don't have the "latest code", because you surely have since, as I've said, there hasn't been ANY changes in code from 2.2.6 to 2.2.7 and, in fact, not even from 2.2.5 to 2.2.7, since both updates only updated things not related to code.

So, basically, if we re-uploaded the Offline installer again, you'll have to download 130MB again, and you'll get with EXACTLY the same set of files, except maybe the manifest.json, so you'll see the latest version.

I understand showing the latest version give a sense of security that people like to have, no matter how many times I try to explain is not real so yes, I might re-upload the Offline installer again later.

ehenkes

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update March 3rd, 2023.
« Reply #282 on: March 04, 2023, 12:13:59 pm »
What are "Cloudflare nodes"?

your local cloudflare node hasn't got the latest updates <-- in which logfile or where else can I exactly check, if my "cloudflare nodes" are up-to-date?  8)

"Performing step 1 of 37 - GSX Pro" <-- I have never seen step 2 to 37. It always finishes after 1.

Your whole system and your explanations confuse me very much. Please implement a clear and robust update process. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 12:26:37 pm by ehenkes »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2023, 12:29:03 pm »
What are "Cloudflare nodes"?

You are not downloading from our server directly, all content is automatically replicated by Cloudflare on their CDN, so you are downloading from a node closest to you:

https://www.cloudflare.com/network/

After an update, it might take a day or two for all nodes to catch up, depending how many users downloads from each node.

in which logfile or where else can I exactly check, if my "cloudflare nodes" are up-to-date?

The instructions in the Sticky post explain how you can suspect your local cloudflare node might not be updated, requiring you to use the Offline installer, this is the relevant part:

You can recognize if YOUR node has, by simply noticing if the Live Update doesn't download anything if you run it after this offline installer. If this happens, it means your local Cloudflare node is now fully updated, so you don't need to use this anymore, just the Live Update.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Airport Services and Jetways sceneries ZIP files are supposed to be always downloaded, this is normal. Those kind of files are thousands of very small files that compress very well, so we found it was faster to always redownload them as single ZIP files, then check thousands of individual files if they are in need of an update.

Unencrypted versions of FSDT airport files for FSDT sceneries bought on the MS Marketplace will also be downloaded every time, this is also normal.

This basically means

- If you run the FSDT Live Update once, then you ran it again, and you notice the ONLY files being re-downloaded are the ones that these instructions say they are expected to be re-downloaded every time, then you are fine, and you DO NOT need the offline installer, because your nodes do have the latest files.

- If you run the FSDT Live Update once, then you ran it again, and you notice that OTHER files are being re-downloaded ( other than the ones listed above as being normal to be always re-downloaded ), it means your cloudflare node hasn't got the latest files yet, so you'll need the Offline installer.

What's important, is the Offline installer is NOT a replacement for the Live Update, because it contains only the core GSX code, not additional models/textures, so you need to use it after the Live Update, not as a replacement for it.

ehenkes

« Reply #284 on: March 04, 2023, 12:44:17 pm »
OK, thank you for these clarifications regarding Cloudflare.  :)

To make it sure: Are these the correct exe-files?

Live updater: "D:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Couatl_Updater.exe" 
Offline installer: "D:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Couatl_Updater2.exe"

If I use Live Updater first, then Updater2, I can be sure that I get the newest files? 

PS: "Performing step 1 of 37 - GSX Pro" <-- I have never seen step 2 to 37. It always finishes after 1. <-- Could you please comment?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 01:07:38 pm by ehenkes »