Author Topic: GSX PBR Update  (Read 97986 times)

AFS

Re: GSX PBR Update
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2019, 08:55:17 am »
Dear Umberto,

You misunderstand something here. It's NOT about who is to blame for the mistake.
I only tell you these things so that you can recognize and analyze what goes wrong or could be improved.
I use your software and want it to work and install EVERYWHERE and with EVERYONE.

I noticed some things that make the update problematic and tedious.

1) The installation package "... \ Documents \ GSX_Installer" is only available when the installation has already been completed. This is a big disadvantage because you can not determine WHERE these files are stored.

If someone on his system partition is not enough space for the 1.72 GB he cannot install the software. It does not matter whether the files are cached in a "Temp" folder or in the "Documents" folder. It is only successful if the user still has enough space or if the files "Temp" and / or "Documents" are outsourced and not located on C :.

Suggestion: the better solution for the user would be to first download the GSX_Installer package and be able to determine the location itself. In addition, an installation from a local storage medium often goes much faster (many already have an SSD for P3D in operation) than directly from the internet.

2) The update version, downloading file by file immediately directly from the Web to update on the spot, takes too long in such a large update. It depends too much on the connection speed to the respective time of day (much or little traffic) and took me between 40 minutes and more than 2 hours with the same installation variant.

Even with a "small" update, as we have had it in the past, it takes far too long, as each file is checked, downloaded and installed online during the update.

Suggestion: here, too, would be better in the future, if we could download the update package completely and only then, when installing from a local medium, the verification and the replacement of the files would be done. that would also have the great advantage that in a new installation not every time the often lengthy online update process would have to be made again. it would be much more user friendly.

3) I do not know why there is a "new" GSX_Installer package that does not already contain ALL updates.

But I'm assuming that this is a variant WITHOUT the latest updates and you did not have time to update it because it was important to first publish the new update, and then update the package.

Currently, it is the case that we install the package and then immediately started an "update" to update the files. In addition, this takes a perceived eternity.

Suggestion: if it is only a few, few files, the actual update version is acceptable.
but as soon as it concerns more files - the difference between the "GSX_Installer" installation and the "Update" installation is installed but 2.73 GB - would be a complete "package" for local storage the better option. at least 90% of the software manufacturers do it and that works well and always.

4) which I still unclear, why the update ALWAYS at the beginning of the GSX files deletes.
This is certainly not a "local" problem only on my system - quite some users report here about it - as the update explicitly reads the respective installation path from the registry.

Since an update is indeed carried out over an existing installation, something like that should not happen. the existing files MUST either be preserved, moved and / or updated or deleted AND reinstalled.

As mentioned above, dear Umberto, it is not a criticism but only a user feedback that should help you to fix or avoid problems.

Greetings from Vienna  ::)

urban_fox27

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2019, 09:09:39 am »
i had the same problem, i was installing on to my D rive which is where all my P3d stuff is located, i wasn't having any luck.
so i tried to install it on the C drive and it has installed successfully so far,yet to test.

mwyatt

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2019, 09:16:25 am »
Hi Virtuali, I have the situation where GSX/GSX2 does not work after the update. See previous posts.
My Net is 4.7.2 and up to date.
My P3Dv4 and GSX/GSX2 are installed on my "F" drive, kept separate from the System Drive.
You are welcome to connect via TV at any time suitable to you. I have it already installed.
My PC is a Dual Boot PC, if that makes any difference to the update.
Look forward to resolving the update failure issue, wherever the problem lies.
Martin.

AFS

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2019, 09:36:52 am »
@ mwyatt

Check if the files "__init __. Pye", "GSX Level 2 Control Panel.exe" and "GSX_manual.pdf" exist in the folder "your install directory" \ Addon Manager \ couatl \ GSX "or only folders, where are files.
If this files are not present, you do not need to search any further the error. The GSX files are missing. It is then as I described it in my first contribution.

You can, for the time, being  remedy this with my method, which I described in the first article.

AFS

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2019, 09:52:57 am »
An example, we just found there was a problem with the updater if there were empty registry keys from simulators that were NEVER installed and the problem was caused by... guess what, the famous dangerous P3D Migration Tool, that left empty keys for version of the sim which were never there.

That may be so. But this could easily be avoided if the update only p3d4 or fsx refer to and would search only for exactly this key.
Likewise, I think it may be easier to let download a complete update package to the users. These should then be able to select and install the right installation.

It's not like that you, Umberto, have to think for everyone. We can do a little by ourselves.   ;)

simtom

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2019, 11:31:14 am »

I'm sorry, but you haven't proved anything. You only proved the Live Update didn't work on YOUR system but that doesn't automatically mean it's a bug of the Live Update. It's just there's something in YOUR system that is not standard that we haven't anticipated in the update.

Clear proof of this, if there was really a bug in the Live Update, it would affect EVERYBODY, like 100% of the users.

Well, looking at this thread and other posts it looks like he isn't the only one. I too have the exact same problem, everything installs fine but all the files in that particular folder are then deleted after running the Live Update. I found out because the manual PDF and Configurator tool were not found by Windows (after clicking their icon).

Now, I understand that no two computers are the same but looking at what others have posted it's clear that this is not an isolated problem.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:33:14 am by simtom »

SkylaneT

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2019, 12:04:22 pm »
I have exactly same problem.  8)

jkatz098

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2019, 12:31:13 pm »
Im not getting the fuel truck animation, arrives with no person in it.

Are you getting the new fuel hydrant ? if no, it means your airplane wing is too low (the refueling point must be under 3.40 mt from ground ), or you haven't configure it.

Also why do the baggage handlers look so bad compared to the rest of the people?

Because the way the animation is made, doesn't make it very easy to replace them. In fact, we are working on this, but we waited long enough and didn't want to delay the update just because of the baggage loaders. They will come later on.
All fixed! It was th 3.4m issue

Oh awesome! Thought I had done something wrong. Thanks for the reply!

SV1511

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2019, 12:41:05 pm »
SOLVED...after tired thinking what this happens, I found my solution, before GSX LVL2 installation on D: drive, and I always change the folder while installing, then error always come, so decide to change the installation on default C: drive, so no problem, all good including  services

This did the trick for me as well! Problem SOLVED!

jkatz098

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2019, 12:43:25 pm »
Few issues with refueling

1) The guy is floating in the air when he connects the hoses

2) When disconnecting and putting the stuff away, the animation just runs in reverse which looks weird because people are walking backwards

3) When the drive got back in the truck, he suddenly shot out of the truck and disappeared then ended back up on top of the wing, the other guy is still standing there and I have to reset the position to continue

4)Can we have the option to switch from gallons to litres or kilograms on the fuel truck?

mwyatt

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2019, 12:45:27 pm »
AFS, I tried your "fix". It did not work for me.
I copied the "missing" files to a safe location, performed the update, when restored the files to the directory.
When attemping to run P3Dv4 with GSX/GSX2 I get "jetways out of date", followed by "GSX is out of date".
Ctrl/f12 still does nothing for me.
I have aging restored back to a working copy and will wait to see what fix FSDT come up with.
Martin.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2019, 12:53:44 pm »
I use your software and want it to work and install EVERYWHERE and with EVERYONE.

Same as me but, this is impossible to achieve, without the help of affected users. We had about 30 testers, and they used the program for months and, guess what, NOBODY reported a problem.

I noticed some things that make the update problematic and tedious.

If someone on his system partition is not enough space for the 1.72 GB he cannot install the software. It does not matter whether the files are cached in a "Temp" folder or in the "Documents" folder. It is only successful if the user still has enough space or if the files "Temp" and / or "Documents" are outsourced and not located on C :.

We chose the Documents folder to store the complete installer, assuming someone short on space would have take enough precautions to give enough space on one of the most important location on this system: the Documents folder.

Suggestion: the better solution for the user would be to first download the GSX_Installer package and be able to determine the location itself

Asking a location to store the downloaded package can be done.

In addition, an installation from a local storage medium often goes much faster (many already have an SSD for P3D in operation) than directly from the internet.

The installation is ALREADY made from a local storage: the files that has just been downloaded from the internet and are stored under Documents\GSX_Installer is where the installation takes place from.

The UPDATE takes places "directly" over the internet but, if you use the current full installer, it won't download much.

2) The update version, downloading file by file immediately directly from the Web to update on the spot, takes too long in such a large update. It depends too much on the connection speed to the respective time of day (much or little traffic) and took me between 40 minutes and more than 2 hours with the same installation variant.

If you know your internet connection is slow, then simply don't do the Update and use the Full installer.

Even with a "small" update, as we have had it in the past, it takes far too long, as each file is checked, downloaded and installed online during the update.

That's not how it works.

The new update is different than the old one, and it's way faster for smaller updates. And no, it doesn't work as you think it does. Files are NOT checked online one by one, that would absurd. A small cache file, which contains only the list of all files on the server with their MD5 hashes is downloaded, and files are compared *LOCALLY* against this one, and only those that are changed are *then* downloaded.

Suggestion: here, too, would be better in the future, if we could download the update package completely and only then, when installing from a local medium, the verification and the replacement of the files would be done. that would also have the great advantage that in a new installation not every time the often lengthy online update process would have to be made again. it would be much more user friendly.

That's exactly how it works now, for the larger packages, which are the Simobjects, which are first downloaded in a single package, locally, then uncompressed. But it's done only when you have NO new Simobject installed. If we always did this, as you are suggesting, we would waste too much bandwidth, which costs money.

3) I do not know why there is a "new" GSX_Installer package that does not already contain ALL updates.

The current installer contains 99% of the updated files. Basically everything, except the small things which were fixed in the past 2 days. Nothing.

But I'm assuming that this is a variant WITHOUT the latest updates and you did not have time to update it because it was important to first publish the new update, and then update the package.

Exactly, you cannot expect we would re-compile the full installer EACH and EVERY single time we change one small file.

Currently, it is the case that we install the package and then immediately started an "update" to update the files. In addition, this takes a perceived eternity.

I think I understand what you are experiencing here: let's try to analyze the situation:

- We have a HUGE number of files which are specific for FSX users and will NOT be used in P3D4. Those are the Legacy Objects.

- We have a HUGE number of files which are specific for P3D users and will NOT be used in FSX. Those are the PBR Objects

- Then, the rest of the files is shared.

So, the obvious solution was to split the installer between an FSX version and a P3D4 version. This way, we achieve the following:

1) P3D4 users won't have to download the FSX files they don't need, so they get a faster download and a quicker installation

2) FSX user won't have to download the P3D4 files they don't need, so they get a faster download and a quicker installation

3) We save some money on our AWS bill, because less bandwidth is consumed, since those with only one simulator installed will download less stuff.

HOWEVER, what will happen (it's what I think happened in your case) if you have BOTH P3D4 and FSX installed ?

The P3D4 installer will install all the P3D4 stuff, and the Live Update will update it very quickly (because 99% of the files are already new) but, when it comes to the FSX stuff, it will HAVE to Update it as well, because it cannot possibly leave you with the P3D4 files updated and the FSX files outdated and, it must do that, because it cannot possibly be sure that you are going to use the FSX installer too.

So, with both simulators installed, you have a very quick installation of the P3D4 files, but a longer update of the FSX files.

This could be potentially solved by offering another Full installer, one for those that keep BOTH sim installed at the same time. We thought about that but, this option has the following issues:

1) Having 3 separate installers will likely confuse users

2) We'll surely consume more bandwidth, because many users would try to use all 3.

3) I would spent too much time on support having to explain which installer should be used and when. I know what I'm talking about, since I still receive a dozen of email PER DAY, from users that don't know how to Download our installers, since they don't understand we have only installer and it's the Trial version, so they keep asking where's the "full" version they bought. You must understand that 90% of users DO NOT come to the forum so, we must try to make something that is as foolproof as possible. Having the Updated being able to update everything regardless from which installer you started from, does exactly that.

4) which I still unclear, why the update ALWAYS at the beginning of the GSX files deletes. This is certainly not a "local" problem only on my system - quite some users report here about it - as the update explicitly reads the respective installation path from the registry.

It's not supposed to do that but, that's precisely what I was trying to discover with a TM session.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2019, 12:55:30 pm »
SOLVED...after tired thinking what this happens, I found my solution, before GSX LVL2 installation on D: drive, and I always change the folder while installing, then error always come, so decide to change the installation on default C: drive, so no problem, all good including  services

The installer supports any folder, located anywhere, to install. In fact, one of the GSX authors, has all his FSDT files installed on F: and he never had any problem with it.

ahmadjie80

« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2019, 01:15:00 pm »

The installer supports any folder, located anywhere, to install. In fact, one of the GSX authors, has all his FSDT files installed on F: and he never had any problem with it.
I don't know Umberto, but that's the reality, starting from yesterday I always directed the installation to several drives, outside of the drive C:\, but nothing worked only on Drive C:\ he succeeded

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2019, 01:19:38 pm »
I don't know Umberto, but that's the reality, starting from yesterday I always directed the installation to several drives, outside of the drive C:\, but nothing worked only on Drive C:\ he succeeded

Never forget to say "the reality on MY system". So, what's really happening is that, something not normal in your system, is preventing the installer to work as it's designed to, which is to allow installing everywhere.

Just to make it more clear: NOTHING in the installer code refers to C: Everything the installer does, is referred to the initial folder you choose.

In some cases, the installer will use the Windows TEMP folder to uncompress some files and that folder, following Windows standards, is obtained by asking Windows which is the location of its Temp folder. This means, if you don't have enough space on the drive Windows has its Temp folder, the Updater might fail but, if you are really into this situation, you are going to have issues with LOTS of software, since almost every installer out there requires enough space on the Windows Temp folder, first to uncompress itself before running, but also to uncompress files during the installation.