Author Topic: Autopilot and Radio explainations  (Read 163424 times)

neutrino

Re: saved mission prob
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2009, 06:40:41 pm »
Strange problem! I have several missions with the F18 “saved”. When I load some of the missions the A/C come in with the AutoThrottle on, which make the a/c scoot across the landscape till I can get the brake on and turn it off. Other missions are OK.
Have ensured the AT is off and “resaved” the mission, but to no avail? Suggestions?
 ???
What do you mean by "autothrottle" ? I thought the FSX FA-18 does not have autothrottle, only autopilot, which works as explained in the first post of the thread.

Pop

Re: Autopilot and Radio explainations
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2009, 07:30:04 pm »
on the front of the inboard throttle is a button (hard to see) but hover over that area an u can see it.  If u "arm" the AT, then "engauge AT" the hit the CTL R key you will set the "CDM A/S"(look at the ACL page top left). The AT work well in the CVA approaceds, just remember to (ctl r) disconnect after landiing!
 :)

neutrino

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2009, 11:02:04 pm »
Pop, I haven't tried the autothrottle function you describe, but I think the <Ctrl+R> combination simply engages the generic "Airspeed Hold" function of the FSX autopilot. I don't know how it is integrated with the Hornet VC avionics.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 08:18:11 am »
Neutrino.... Good question and I cant find the manual to answer that online.

I know what you mean though, look at this video.

Pop

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 03:44:41 pm »
neutrino: Correct about the "airspeed hold"! You don't have to use the "arm-engauge" to get a "airspeed hold" however, it works like the "RW" autothrottle! The auto pilot does not have to be on the use it, and "ctl r" turns it on and off! The 'set CDR A/S" is what ever speed your are when ;) "turned on"!

Still looking for what the "auto throttle" button does in the sim-it is there as "workable" ???

Razgriz

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2009, 09:46:03 pm »
neutrino: Correct about the "airspeed hold"! You don't have to use the "arm-engauge" to get a "airspeed hold" however, it works like the "RW" autothrottle! The auto pilot does not have to be on the use it, and "ctl r" turns it on and off! The 'set CDR A/S" is what ever speed your are when ;) "turned on"!

Still looking for what the "auto throttle" button does in the sim-it is there as "workable" ???

That pilot does have Airspeed hold on.  He is using ATC (Auto Throttle Control), and the words ATC are readable on the right side of the hud.

Tregarth

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2010, 07:56:49 pm »

I have seen reference to using TACAN radios on the F/A-18, in particular Javier Fernadez's USS Nimitz.  In it he says the TACAN frequency is 57X.  I know I have select the TACAN button on the radio and then press 5 and 7, but how do I add the X ?

I have tried pressing the green X on the radio display but that does not seem to work, what do I need to do please?

Thank you,

Tregarth

Pop

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 02:40:02 pm »
after pressing the button next to the "X" press enter!

Orion

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 06:20:31 pm »
I believe it only works if you have the improved HUD by Jivko Rusev (see this thread: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2342.0).

jkatz098

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2010, 01:34:47 am »
When i click the X it jumps to the Y and i cannot get it to stay on X

Gdex

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2011, 03:55:39 am »
I can’t seem to be able to have both ATTH and either HSEL or NAV on at the same time. For example, if the A/P is on HSEL, and I manually adjust the pitch and throttle to get the climbing rate I want, then when I click on ATTH so that the A/P will maintain the current attitude, HSEL goes off. The same thing happens if I use CPL (to NAV) instead of HSEL. Has anyone run into this problem? Any solution?

JANDMBEAR

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 12:58:41 am »
I'm still confused as well. And as I have read the "first post".....I guess I need to read and re-read until I understand it. This is how it seems to me anyway

PhantomTweak

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 08:59:53 pm »
I know I have select the TACAN button on the radio and then press 5 and 7, but how do I add the X ?
There is a problem, sometimes, with the radio system. If you just plug in the TACAN numbers, IE: 57 in this example, the radio system misinterperts it, and set's the wrong freq.
There are two ways to solve it. One is to pause, "Select Aircraft" to the default Cessna 172 or something similar, call up the radio stack, set the freq you want on NAV1 Active, then "Select Aircraft" back to the F/A-18.
The other way, that I always use, is to Select TACAN on the UFC, and punch in the frequency that is equivalent to the TACAN you want. Let us say 115.10, just for an example. Punch the entire freq into the scratchpad, for this example 1-1-5-1-0, then hit Enter. It should then display the proper TACAN number you want, in this case, 57X. Make sure you use the entire freq number or it gets confused, sometimes.
OH! a possible 3rd alternative, I apologize: You can add a pop-up radio panel to the plane's 2D cockpit from a default plane, again like hte C172, just for example. Then you pop it up, set your frequency, say 115.00 for example, in the NAV1 Active portion of it, and it will then display the proper TACAN number, say 57X.

There is an add-on scenery for Coupeville, near Whidby Island, specifically for FCLP practice, that has 2 TACAN frequencies you can switch between just by switching the TACAN from TTX to TTY (TT=TACAN number I don't remember :D ) by pushing the button beside the X or Y on the UFC once the frequency is entered. So you can have either a TACAN only approach using the IFOLS, or an ILS approachusing the ILS Needles on the HUD. If it's set up for ILS on the HUD Control Panel, naturally.

And just so you know, I think, although rarely, that the Nimitz (Numb-Nuts, we used to call it) is 47X, or 114.00. Or maybe 57X, or 115.00. Do you see a pattern here? :D

NOT in TACPAC, btw, just with the Jivko Rusev HUD, Which is awesome, and can be put into any plane. Heck, I put it into a C172 just for fun! And with the moving, or mobile versions of carriers, not the "static" or scenery add-on boats. AICarriers.NET is what I use to make them mobile. There are any number of sailing plans for different carriers, aside from the one default one in the Game.

Moving on to the ATC system: With all of Jimi's add-on birds, at least since the v12.1 and up, the FCS can be set to the autothrottle system using SHFT+R, not CTRL+R. That is (was?) to set the current speed into the old autopilot system, before activating the Speed Hold function with SHFT+R, the Sim used. Jimi (and Mr. Orion!!) have set it up so that if you have the ATC engaged, it will try to maintain a) the current speed, if in UA mode, or b) the proper AOA for the plane's current total weight if in PA mode. It doesn't function with Heading Hold, Alt Hold, or APP Mode set into autopilot. IE: you can have EITHER ATC or the other modes engaged.

BTW: For normal landings, with normal landing weights, whether on a boat or ashore, make sure you set the pitch trim to 8.1 for the correct AOA when in PA mode. Gear down, Flaps 2 (full flaps). When you either change the pitch, or when you first enter PA mode, it will display on the lower right side of the HUD for 5 seconds.

I hope all my babbling helps a little bit...
Have great flights, and great days, all!
Pat☺
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:11:42 pm by PhantomTweak »

Orion

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2016, 10:16:49 pm »
Moving on to the ATC system: With all of Jimi's add-on birds, at least since the v12.1 and up, the FCS can be set to the autothrottle system using SHFT+R, not CTRL+R. That is (was?) to set the current speed into the old autopilot system, before activating the Speed Hold function with SHFT+R, the Sim used. Jimi (and Mr. Orion!!) have set it up so that if you have the ATC engaged, it will try to maintain a) the current speed, if in UA mode, or b) the proper AOA for the plane's current total weight if in PA mode. It doesn't function with Heading Hold, Alt Hold, or APP Mode set into autopilot. IE: you can have EITHER ATC or the other modes engaged.

The Shift+R shortcut (or more specifically, the AUTO_THROTTLE_ARM event; if you remap the event your new key mapping will be used) is masked/overridden in the FSXBA Hornet; the default autopilot doesn't even see the event getting triggered anymore.  The automatic throttle control modes (cruise mode and approach mode) in the FSXBA Hornet are independent of up and away and powered approach; see this post (http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg94148.html#msg94148) for details.  As of the current FSXBA Hornet 16.1 version, automatic throttle control should remain on regardless of whether the default autopilot is engaged or not.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2016, 01:00:25 am »
Ahh! I apologize. I hadn't gotten to the very latest yet. I'm working on the RTWR for the FlightSim team.
Thank you Mr. Orion, sir!
Pat☺