Author Topic: My entire scenery.cfg is trashed. **SOLVED**  (Read 17769 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: My entire scenery.cfg is trashed.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 08:00:22 am »
While most of the scenery.cfg file is fine, all of the FSDT entries have been removed and the file is showing updated this evening and the only sim change that has been made this evening is installing KCLT, GSX, and KLAS.

Are you using P3D 3.3+ or 4.0 ? If yes, that's entirely normal and correct, and the reasons why they don't appear there, have been explained in this thread.

dickxxx

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 08:58:18 am »
Unberto, thank you for your quick reply.
I mentioned that I had the missing building problem again. Your answer: " it's possible your scenery.cfg already had a problem, so the migration didn't go well. Install using the latest full installers might fix it."

I did not migrate Umberto. I mentioned P3dv3.4 in my message. I have not touched v4 yet.

I see various other simmers having these problems Could it be that you observation that my scy.cfg already had a problem is a bit premature ? Also because I did not even migrate ?

You did a great job in supporting V4, very fast, with nice savings. Kudo's to FSDT. Let's now try to solve the situations that I see other simmers and myself have with earlier p3d versions and even FSX.

thank you/ Dick

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 09:31:21 pm »
I did not migrate Umberto. I mentioned P3dv3.4 in my message. I have not touched v4 yet.

The new scenery installation system is supported from P3D 3.3 and above, it's not related to V4 only so yes, with 3.4, your sceneries were surely migrated so, something happened.

dickxxx

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 09:43:01 pm »
Thank you Umberto for your explanation. It is because of you that I ( and many others)  find out about the new scenery approach. Although I do see the advantages, at the moment it does cause inconvenience now for existing owners of P3dV3. I guess many simmers are left wondering what happened to their sceneries.
I guess I better change soon to P3D V4.

keino333

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 10:17:27 pm »
Good day Umberto,
Having now gained access to the forum I see I'm not alone.  Let me start by saying nice work.  The scenery looked really great when testing it out earlier this morning.  I say looked because after my initial test flight I haven't been able to launch P3Dv3.  I did observe when installing KCLT that all FSDT/FB scenery were removed from their original place (in my case G:\ to C:\Programfiles x86 like that of SODE.  I assumed that this function would provide better functionally of these associated scenery/files and perhaps better performance too.  I see now that was your intent.  Much appreciated for that.  However, unfortunately after spending an hour trying to figure out why P3DV3.4 would not load (open splash would hang and disappear and freeze in the processing tray) I was left to uninstall KCLT and the addon Manager to get P3DV3.4 running again.
Can you advise what may be happening and how I may be able to overcome this if I reinstall KCLT. (I've assumed that all the flies are in the C:\ directory and that perhaps all it requires is for me to reinstall KCLT and the addon Manager.  If there is something else to consider I'd like to know before this reattempt)

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 10:28:44 pm »
The failure to load the sim shouldn't have anything to do with the move of the files to the new location (which you can choose, it's just you accepted the proposed default location).

First, check the following key in the registry editor ( REGEDIT )

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

And see if you have anything for Prepar3D.EXE. If you have, remove that line (the one that contains Prepar3D.exe ), and try reinstalling now.

keino333

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 12:05:37 am »
That didn't work. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing Chaseplane start up, FSDG seasonal indicator or Ultimate Traffic Live startup.  I'll need to uninstall again

keino333

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 05:54:16 am »
Also, I not sure I follow what you said earlier that FSDT or / and beam did not touch the scenery.cfg

Here's what mine looked like before installing KCLT

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:00:36 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 06:07:31 am »
Also, I not sure I follow what you said earlier that FSDT or / and beam did not touch the scenery.cfg

I wasn't entirely clear.

The new installer surely won't touch the scenery.cfg anymore, to install the NEW scenery you are installing now but, if it finds old scenery installed with the old system, it will obviously have remove from there, in order to add them using the add-on.xml system.

But, of course, this part of the installer, the one that removes a scenery from the scenery.cfg, has always been the same as it always were, when it removed the scenery during the uninstall.

Fact you said you couldn't edit the scenery.cfg yourself, seems to indicate that something is wrong, maybe a permission problem, or another application that opened the file, which might have caused the installer to fail to remove the old installations properly.

precious62b

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 02:53:06 pm »
Umberto, I sent you a few PMs so I was just seeing if you received them. Thanks

keino333

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 05:29:53 pm »

I wasn't entirely clear.

The new installer surely won't touch the scenery.cfg anymore, to install the NEW scenery you are installing now but, if it finds old scenery installed with the old system, it will obviously have remove from there, in order to add them using the add-on.xml system.

But, of course, this part of the installer, the one that removes a scenery from the scenery.cfg, has always been the same as it always were, when it removed the scenery during the uninstall.

Fact you said you couldn't edit the scenery.cfg yourself, seems to indicate that something is wrong, maybe a permission problem, or another application that opened the file, which might have caused the installer to fail to remove the old installations properly.

I don't think I ever said I attempted to manually edit the scenery.cfg.  I typically leave that to installers and the add/remove device in system settings.  Nonetheless, I think I'm in a good place to be advised how to go about reinstalling

Here's what I have done.

1. Under ADD remove Devices I have removed all FSDT and FB scenery including addon manager(s) and Couatl (Closed and Rebooted Computer)

2. Started up P3DV3.4 and it asked me if I wanted to "enable" these same scenery.  This brought to my attention that during the migration, the FSDT installer placed two new files in the Program Data\ Lockheed Martin Folder beginning with the name "add-on".  The file(s) contained all the scenery I had purchased under the aforementioned developers.
I chose not to enable and continued with loading of P3dv3.  Did a test flight in the F15 and then exited

3. Reboot computer

4. Loaded up P3DV3.4 again and this time I was not prompted to "enable".  Continued and flew two sessions successfully.  However, whilst in flight I pursued through the Menu bar to ensure all was in order, when I came upon a new "Add on" selection.  This revealed the perhaps a xml file still exist within my associated files with the pertinent information to enable the FSDT and FB scenery.

So From this point I ask, what should my next steps be? 
How should I conduct a reinstall of all scenery (FSDT and FB)?
Should I start from the oldest to the newest or does it not matter?
Will the new procedures follow with any of the scenery I install first (KLAS, KORD etc) or do I need to start with KCLT?
I think this is important, because every previous install was a failure.  (with an exception to the initial installed which worked the first time, but closing out P3DV3.4 and restarting it is where troubles began)
Also, I noticed there is now a FSDT Live update desktop shortcut - Can you enlighten us as to how this works. Does it require us to launch it (should we) every week or is there an alternate routine schedule for it (Will a notice be posted in the FSDT forum to run the live update?)?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 06:39:40 pm »
1. Under ADD remove Devices I have removed all FSDT and FB scenery including addon manager(s) and Couatl (Closed and Rebooted Computer)

2. Started up P3DV3.4 and it asked me if I wanted to "enable" these same scenery

Yes, I can see how you would be easily confused. Have a look at this post of mine here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,15688.msg112880.html#new

Which explains a quirk of the migration process that we really cannot fix it entirely, and I see how you could have been confused.

What happened, is that you launched the OLD Uninstallers AFTER the scenery were already migrated. Those uninstaller didn't really do much, because the files were moved from their original folder.

However, since you already migrate them, the very presence of the add-on.xml file in the Documents\Prepar 3d add-ons folder, triggered what is called "Auto-discovery": the sim found an xml for an addon, but it wasn't activated, so it asked to reactivate it.

And, I also found an explanation for the "mystery" lines you found in the scenery.cfg, like this:

[Fsdreamteam KCLT]
Active=TRUE

You might have assumed this were added by KCLT, but they weren't. It was the sim ITSELF that added them, when it asked to reactivate (if you have Active set to True), or when it said it found an orphaned area, asking to disable (if you Active is False ).

So yes, it's confirmed: the KCLT installed hasn't trashed your scenery.cfg...

Panman

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 09:29:25 am »
Is there any way that I can edit the names of the sceneries please. 

I have slight OCD and I rename all my scenery entries in the form of

<ICAO code> - <scenery name>

e.g KCLT - FSDreamTeam Charlotte

And then have sort them alphabetically in my scenery list.  Right now I'm being triggered because all of the FSDT sceneries in P3D now appear at the top of my scenery list and I don't want that.

Panman

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 11:48:29 am »
Is there any way that I can edit the names of the sceneries please. 

You can do this by editing the <Name> tag (not the <Addon.Name>!! ) in the add-on.xml for the scenery, which is located in Documents\Prepar3d v4 Add-ons

keino333

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 07:43:12 pm »

2. Started up P3DV3.4 and it asked me if I wanted to "enable" these same scenery

Yes, I can see how you would be easily confused. Have a look at this post of mine here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,15688.msg112880.html#new

Which explains a quirk of the migration process that we really cannot fix it entirely, and I see how you could have been confused.

What happened, is that you launched the OLD Uninstallers AFTER the scenery were already migrated. Those uninstaller didn't really do much, because the files were moved from their original folder.

However, since you already migrate them, the very presence of the add-on.xml file in the Documents\Prepar 3d add-ons folder, triggered what is called "Auto-discovery": the sim found an xml for an addon, but it wasn't activated, so it asked to reactivate it.

And, I also found an explanation for the "mystery" lines you found in the scenery.cfg, like this:

[Fsdreamteam KCLT]
Active=TRUE

You might have assumed this were added by KCLT, but they weren't. It was the sim ITSELF that added them, when it asked to reactivate (if you have Active set to True), or when it said it found an orphaned area, asking to disable (if you Active is False ).

So yes, it's confirmed: the KCLT installed hasn't trashed your scenery.cfg...

Maybe not, but with a fresh install I still cannot start P3dv3.4.9.  The splash screen vanishes 40 sec after launch.  Funny though the application is still showing in the processes (tray) but hangs at 342,000K.

All works in pd3v4 with no issue...

In this fresh install I ran:
Sode1.50
LASv2
KCLT,
KSFOHD (FB)
KDEN (FB)
GSX

But again, I can't load in P3dv3.4.9.  Can you tell, me what gives?  Why does this work with p3dv4 and not with p3dv3.4.9