Author Topic: SODE uninstall?  (Read 7145 times)

curt1

SODE uninstall?
« on: June 01, 2017, 05:59:52 pm »
Umberto,

I'm trying to be cautious as I have both FSX and P3D V4 installed at present.  I've read that SODE needs to be uninstalled first before installing from the new FSDT installers.  There's no listing for SODE in "Programs and Features" in Win 10, so I can't uninstall from there.  I do have a 12bPilot folder containing a SODE folder in in my Program Files(x86), should I just manually delete that?  Would it be wise to manually put it back in the same folder for it's use in FSX?

Last question has to do with maintaining a clean list of applications in my "Programs and Features" folder.  With the migration that takes place, will I have double entries for all FSDT airports, or will it only reflect one?  If it only shows one, then I don't want to erroneously uninstall airports from P3D in the future, but only from FSX.  I hope I'm making sense, and thank you for your assistance.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: SODE uninstall?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:13:22 pm »
There's no listing for SODE in "Programs and Features" in Win 10, so I can't uninstall from there. 

It's supposed to be under "Simobjects Display Engine"

I do have a 12bPilot folder containing a SODE folder in in my Program Files(x86), should I just manually delete that?  Would it be wise to manually put it back in the same folder for it's use in FSX?

No, it will surely cause issues: use only the proper uninstaller, which will setup or clear up some registry keys.

With the migration that takes place, will I have double entries for all FSDT airports, or will it only reflect one?  If it only shows one, then I don't want to erroneously uninstall airports from P3D in the future, but only from FSX.  I hope I'm making sense, and thank you for your assistance.

If you Uninstall everything first, and then reinstall using only our new installers, you will only see one entry, because you are installing only one copy of the scenery. That's one of the major benefits of this system: with two simulators, the hard drive space required is exactly half of what it used to be. No files duplications.

Instead, if you let the scenery migrate (not uninstalling the old ones first) the migration has an issue that we really cannot fix entirely. What you see in "Programs and Features", is not really what you have installed, more like HOW you Uninstall something.

This means, after the migration, if you originally installed in FSX and P3D, you will still see two entries, but those two entries are now referring to an Uninstaller which is no longer valid, since it was created at the time of install, so it contains a list of files that is no longer valid, because we *moved* them while migrating. Unfortunately, I still haven't found a reliable way to update the Uninstallers (and also remove doubles) to reflect the migration.

So, if you migrate, you'll have to live with double uninstaller entries, which are not really valid anymore. Again, these are just entries, it's not as if the scenery is *really* installed twice: only the uninstallers are still there in the original location, but they won't work anymore.

We made the migration, to save users time/effort by not forcing everybody to:

- Uninstall everything, in all supported sims

- Download ALL the updated installers

- Reinstall everything.

So, I think having bogus Uninstaller entries might be considered a small price to pay for the saved effort. Of course, if you want to have everything tidy and clean, including the uninstallers, you will have to do all of the above.

But hopefully, this will be the last FSDT installation you'll ever do, until you reinstall the whole Windows from scratch, because the new Live Update can update everything in one go, and the new installation system offered by Prepard3D, allows to reinstall the sim entirely from scratch, without having to reinstall any of the addons using the new system.

curt1

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 06:29:00 pm »
Thank you, Umberto for such speedy and complete answers to my questions.  I'm so glad I asked before proceeding, and now know exactly what to do.

curt1

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:31:28 am »
Umberto, if I could follow-up with one last question please.  I'm taking the long route and uninstalled FSX airports, then I'm using the new installers to install in both FSX and P3D.  When the time comes where I want to say goodbye to FSX, how would I uninstall from that without disturbing the P3D version?  I have one listing in the "Programs and Features" which is what I desired, but still a bit confused. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 12:39:37 am »
When the time comes where I want to say goodbye to FSX, how would I uninstall from that without disturbing the P3D version? 

The solution it's the most simple: don't do anything. Just remove FSX.

There's nothing in our software that cares or check in which or how many simulators you chose to install, and there isn't any need for it to do so, because the installer configures only the simulator files, not itself so, if a simulator is gone, nothing in our software or code will care.

curt1

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 12:47:42 am »
Beautiful, gotta love that!  Thanks again.